AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th May, 2005, 03:24 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Albatron releases PCI-E to AGP adapter!

AGP cards in a pci-e board? With the BR2 from nVidia, and rialto from ati, it was only ma matter of time. Question is, if such a device works on ATI cards, and knowing that ATI cards have had multi-processing capabilities since the r300, is it possible that AGP cards could be doing multi-rendering, and truly putting the solution from nVidia to same?

Here's the release, pulled from Albatron's site:
Quote:
..Total News Release

2005/5/16 --- New bridge card allows user to use AGP-8x card in a PCI-Express Mainboard
Innovation Alert! Albatron's "ATOP" breathes new life into AGP-8x VGA cards

Albatron Technology, a leading IT solutions provider, recently announced the world's first AGP-8x to PCI-Express bridge card. The "ATOP"(AGP-To-PCIe) bridge card will allow a user to use their existing AGP-8x VGA card in a mainboard designed for PCI-Express resulting in considerable savings in upgrade expenditures.
Because the AGP 8x standard has been around for a while and continues to provide more than adequate graphics performance, there still exists a large base of users with very capable AGP 8x VGA cards. Until now consumers have been hesitant to upgrade to a mainboard with the PCI-Express standard because it would also mean having to purchase a new PCIe VGA card. With the ATOP card you can now upgrade to a PCI-Express mainboard, continue to use your existing AGP-8x card and worry about purchasing a new PCI-Express VGA card at a later time.
Your AGP-8x card simply piggybacks on the ATOP card's AGP-8x slot located on the top edge. The ATOP card is then plugged into the mainboard's PCI-Express slot. The only other installation requirements are replacing the bracket on the AGP-8x card with an ATOP bracket and installing the appropriate driver.
The ATOP bridge is the perfect solution for cost conscious users caught in the middle of the PCI-Express, AGP-8x transition. With the ATOP, you can have the best of both worlds in addition to reducing expenditures and extending the life of your original investments.

Attached Images

Old 17th May, 2005, 10:50 AM

Smart, but only larger (wider) cases would fit a card piggy-backing on that wouldn't they? The card that's plugged into the adapter in the picture is relatively small. Most graphics cards are pretty much the height of the bracket these days, so I wonder how practical it would be?
NVidia 6800GT
Yesico FL-420(T) Fanless 420W PSU
2 x Maxtor DiamondMax 10 80GB SATA RAID0
Silverstone Temjin TJ05S-T Case
Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+ 19" LCD

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th May, 2005, 02:29 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to calgar Send a message via AIM to calgar Send a message via MSN to calgar Send a message via Yahoo to calgar

my graphics card has about 3 inches of clearance in my case, and my case isnt that big,

anyhow, its good to see that i wont have to shell out as much at once to get a new upgradable computer (athlon 64, of course) but i do have doubts as to how much it may hinder performance
Old 17th May, 2005, 02:32 PM
Member/Contributer

It shouldn't affect performance too much, there would be some added latency but both ATI and NVIDIA are using bridges on some of their range

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th May, 2005, 02:49 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to calgar Send a message via AIM to calgar Send a message via MSN to calgar Send a message via Yahoo to calgar

i know they are, but i have heard that the bridge chip on those cards means they underperform compared to being used on their native platform
Old 17th May, 2005, 02:53 PM

well, the 6800U chips that first appeared in pci-e flavor were overclocked to the 16xpci-e format from 8x agp, with no ill side-effects. no need to worry. For example, the ATI AGP x850xt and x800xl are a wee bit faster in AGP than thier pci-e counterparts(1-2 FPS).
Old 17th May, 2005, 03:25 PM
Member/Contributer

It is a tiny differance, something you would only ever pick up in a benchmark

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 17th May, 2005, 03:29 PM

You got it graham!
Old 17th May, 2005, 05:02 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

B-but how does this wunder-adaptor fit the slot in the back of the case? You'd think that some serious slot lengthening would be necessary.
Old 17th May, 2005, 05:06 PM

You bet. I'm sure that they include and adapter, and that it is really meant for low-profile cards. Think of the 6600gt on agp, but reversed, and on two seperate boards.

I run my system outside of any case, in a benchi built up for myself kinda like the one on the frontpage right now, and i would have no problems fitting that adapter. if it would work with my x800xtpe, i'd make the move to pci-e right now.
Old 17th May, 2005, 07:28 PM
Member/Contributer

It is a bit of an odd idea, it seems the design is for low profile cards which are mostly ultra cheap cards, most people would have reservation about switching to pci-e if they had a card like an X800 or 6800 or something newish and pricey, so unless it can accomodate them I don't see the market

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 19th May, 2005, 01:14 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

One of our Members posted that PCIe x16 Form Factor Vidcards are cheaper than their AGP counterparts some months ago. Was that a true story?

After skimming through a lot of info about DDR2 at Crucial, it looks like the CAS4 feature of the stuff doesn't really give them greater latency than good old CAS2 DDR. Admittedly, I didn't look at this information carefully. Could this possibly be true??
Old 19th May, 2005, 01:57 AM
Member/Contributer

If it's a native PCI-E core then they are usually cheaper due to the bridged design (stuff like the 6600's and X800XL) but if it's the other way round and it's native AGP then the pci-e variety is the more expensive (such as most of the 6800 range)

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 19th May, 2005, 01:59 AM

or.....ATI's Rialto(pci-e to AGP) is cheaper than nVidia's BR2(AGP to pci-e)
Old 19th May, 2005, 03:39 AM
Member/Contributer

Dunno, but AGP X800XL's are still more expensive than PCI-E, by about the same amount that a PCI-E 6800 is over an AGP card so I figure they're about the same.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 19th May, 2005, 06:07 AM

they are the same price here. The prices you are seeing is retailer's gouging.
Old 20th May, 2005, 07:56 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
they are the same price here. The prices you are seeing is retailer's gouging.

Never! I recently discovered that many brands of high performance DDR are made up of junk memory chips. The manufacturers are making an obscene profit from this. Yay hooray or hiss boo?
Old 20th May, 2005, 08:30 PM
Member/Contributer

I don't think they're junk chips, they are just untested and so they get sold on high tolerance pcb's at none jedec specs needing ultra high voltages

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah