AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th May, 2005, 09:14 AM

Question usb flash drive probs

I have u usb flash drive/mp3 player. it works fine on my laptop (xp) and one work pc (w2k). however, on my main pc (on w2k), when i plug it in, it loads on, gets a drive letter and then removes itself and i get the windows message 'you have unplugged a device without stopping it etc......' then it reconnects, and disconnects repeatedly every few seconds i have unistalled the device from device manager but with no luck, any ideas
Old 24th May, 2005, 09:31 AM

Dodgy port on your PC? I had weird problems like this with mine, turned out one of the ports was faulty. Is it the front USB port you're plugging it into? If so, try using one of the ones on the back that are hard wired into the motherboard and see if you have the same problem.
NVidia 6800GT
Yesico FL-420(T) Fanless 420W PSU
2 x Maxtor DiamondMax 10 80GB SATA RAID0
Silverstone Temjin TJ05S-T Case
Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+ 19" LCD

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th May, 2005, 12:34 PM

My opinion is it could be a virus or something u made if u recently tried one of those lame tweakguides on the net which make u believe that removeing autorun,etc services helps u.See if all the needed services are enabled .
Old 24th May, 2005, 05:51 PM

my usb hard drive works fine in the front or back ports on my main pc so i am sure they are ok, and the mp3 player works in other computers, so its only the mp3 player on the one computer
Old 25th May, 2005, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzacbr
on my main pc (on w2k), when i plug it in, it loads on, gets a drive letter and then removes itself and i get the windows message 'you have unplugged a device without stopping it etc......' then it reconnects, and disconnects repeatedly every few seconds i have unistalled the device from device manager but with no luck, any ideas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottyspotter
Is it the front USB port you're plugging it into? If so, try using one of the ones on the back that are hard wired into the motherboard and see if you have the same problem.
Quote:
my usb hard drive works fine in the front or back ports on my main pc
Sorry, but i don't follow what the problem is, you said in your first post it's not working, then in your last post you say it is...... So what exactly is the problem you're having?
NVidia 6800GT
Yesico FL-420(T) Fanless 420W PSU
2 x Maxtor DiamondMax 10 80GB SATA RAID0
Silverstone Temjin TJ05S-T Case
Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+ 19" LCD

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st June, 2005, 08:17 AM

ok tottyspotty, my usb hard drive (2.5" 40GB) works fine so I know the usb ports work, it is my 1GB mp3/flash drive that has problems on my main pc but works fine on others. the problem is the mp3 player on one pc. maybe it is the drivers corrupted,when i remove the hardware and plug in the mp3 it automatically installs itself so i dont get a chance to replace the drivers
Old 1st June, 2005, 12:20 PM

problem solved, there was a directory \winnt\usb which had some usb drivers and also a winnt\system32\drivers\usbu2a.sys which i deleted. mp3 installs fine now. i think these are for win 98 and possibly 2 different process were trying to install the usb drive. i'll have a look in the registry and clear out any references
Old 9th June, 2005, 09:11 PM

Talking

Quote:
problem solved, there was a directory \winnt\usb which had some usb drivers and also a winnt\system32\drivers\usbu2a.sys which i deleted. mp3 installs fine now. i think these are for win 98 and possibly 2 different process were trying to install the usb drive. i'll have a look in the registry and clear out any references

That would have been my 1st question; did you have correct/latest driver for the USB port installed ?
Did you install the correct driver for the USB item ?

But, now it seems to have been solved.
[those drivers were about the only things different between your home PC and the others (where all was fine) !

;-)

1] ... Athlon XP2500+ Barton @ 3000+ & 512 MB RAM WinXP
2] ... Athlon XP2500+ Barton @ 3100+ & 1024 MB RAMWin2k
3] ... Athlon XP2500+ Mobile Barton @ 3200+ & 512 MB RAM WinXP
4&5] Athlon A64X2 3800+ @ 2.6 GHz (~ 5000+) & 2x 1024 MB RAM running @ 237 MHz WinXP

All folding 24/7