AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st May, 2005, 07:04 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Computex pics

Here's a first oneor two, besides the others i have posted. I'll leave it only to the most outlandish/promising products. Lots of heatpipes....
Attached Thumbnails
Computex pics-asus-20a8n-sli-20premium.jpg   Computex pics-img_3815.jpg   Computex pics-msidual.jpg  
Old 31st May, 2005, 07:13 AM

ramdrive from gigabyte:
Quote:
The card is a regular 32-bit PCI card that features four standard DIMM slots on board. The card also features a custom Gigabyte FPGA that is programmed to act as a SATA to DDR translator, which convinces the SATA controller you connect the card to that the memory you have on that card is no different than a regular SATA HDD. As long as you have memory on the card, the card will be available at POST as an actual SATA drive, with no additional drivers necessary.
http://anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2431&p=5
Attached Thumbnails
Computex pics-gbramdisk.jpg  
Old 31st May, 2005, 09:56 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Shame it can only keep the card alive for 16hours when the machine is off. It looks to be a similar idea to the RocketDrive, but without the external power supply that the RocketDrive uses. (The RocketDrive also needs a driver though).

Now, we just need someone to combine the two into a decent product. Any idea of pricing?
Old 31st May, 2005, 10:03 AM

So what would be a suitable application for this? Using it for your paging file?
NVidia 6800GT
Yesico FL-420(T) Fanless 420W PSU
2 x Maxtor DiamondMax 10 80GB SATA RAID0
Silverstone Temjin TJ05S-T Case
Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+ 19" LCD

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st May, 2005, 11:06 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

still limited by the 150mb/s of the sata interface so what is the point?

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st May, 2005, 11:49 AM
Member/Contributer

Yeah I don't think a page file would be ideal, you could just put the extra memory in the system and not need it.

It would be useful for a system that needed to be silent, say just to have the windows installation on, or for servers that don't want the lack of reliability associated with moving parts.

And it would be limitted to the 133mb/s limit of the pci bus, minus any other traffic

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 31st May, 2005, 01:20 PM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Is that board a ASUS A8N SLi Rev. 2.0? Or just a regular A8N SLi with a heatpipe on the northbridge?

The ZALMAN just screams 'excessive'!

And that MSI card is overkill. Two dual gpu's in SLi?

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 31st May, 2005, 01:37 PM

Hehe, i think the zalman on the left is just a model for display purposes, the real one is on the right, although even it's little brother is by no means small!
NVidia 6800GT
Yesico FL-420(T) Fanless 420W PSU
2 x Maxtor DiamondMax 10 80GB SATA RAID0
Silverstone Temjin TJ05S-T Case
Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+ 19" LCD

AOA Team fah
Old 31st May, 2005, 04:02 PM

The RAMdrive is a great idea, if they can get the price down to a reasonable level. The Thing you have to realize is that even thoughthe transfer rate won't be any higher than SATA, the seek times will be substantially faster. Would be great for a scratch drive for Photoshop, for example.

AOA Team fah
Old 31st May, 2005, 05:10 PM
AOA Staff

Any more hot toys for us cadaveca?
Old 31st May, 2005, 05:16 PM

There are, but none as substantial as those ones i have already posted. I'm just sifting through the images right now...had a late night, and just woke up!

COMPUTEX FEVER!
Old 31st May, 2005, 05:17 PM
Steve Jobs

The ramdrives are not a new thing, as Ive still got an Olivetti 486 server that has a massive 16 bit ISA card full of 72 pin simms. If I was making it, I would include 2GB of flash memory (not that expensive) on the card as a static storage medium between power cycles. Even redundant data could be swapped to the slower but by no means slow flash memory to keep the DDR free for more important things.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 31st May, 2005, 05:27 PM

for intel people 945g chipset boards...multirendering with this chipset as well, but only multi monitors right now:
Attached Thumbnails
Computex pics-intel945gsli.jpg   Computex pics-intel-abit-btx.jpg   Computex pics-intel-aopenbtx.jpg  
Old 31st May, 2005, 05:33 PM

DFI's line is growing, and they are introducing an AGP board, the NF3 ultra-d:
Attached Thumbnails
Computex pics-dif-lineup.jpg   Computex pics-difnf3.jpg  
Old 31st May, 2005, 05:36 PM

with the increasing demand for integrated graphics, nvidia is showing some boards based on the NF4 chipset, but with a 6200TC vidprocessing unit included. boards included a southbridge just as the intel variants of NF4, to make space for the IGP.
Attached Thumbnails
Computex pics-nvidiac51-1.jpg   Computex pics-nvidiac51-2.jpg   Computex pics-nvidiac51-3.jpg  
Old 31st May, 2005, 05:43 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
still limited by the 150mb/s of the sata interface so what is the point?
The point is twofold:

1) Sustained Transfer Rate. Ain't no SATA (or any other technology, for that matter) single drive on the planet that can SUSTAIN 150 MB/s transfer rates. That figure is only met when bursting out of the cache. However, a memory drive could sustain transfer rates well in excess of that if it is properly implemented. While a properly implemented RAID array could provide the necessary bandwidth, it would be pricey to build.

2) Seek times. The fastest drives in the world still have average seek times on the order of about 4 mS. A properly implemented memory drive can have seek times measured in µS, or about 1,000 times faster.

Unfortunately, there are some downsides. One of them, Áedán has already alluded to: storage retention. When that memory drive loses power, your data are toast. Another one is storage density versus cost. Standard DRAM can't touch magnetic media when it comes to the $/gigabyte relationship. High-end drives can be had brand new for something in the range of $5 per gigabyte (and that's high-end SCSI) last time I checked. A gigabyte of ram is about 20 times more expensive.

All that being said, most of the advantages of the memory drive are rendered null by the implementation of a good caching algorithm in the OS, coupled with a good controller and battery backed cache, IMHO.
Old 31st May, 2005, 05:56 PM

dual gpu cards are coming into thier own, and the newest ones, pictured here, include 1GB or GDDR3...yes, that's 512mb per core!(MSI already posted, but here's another pic anyway)
Attached Thumbnails
Computex pics-20050531-asus_dual6800ultra.jpg   Computex pics-20050531-gb_dual6800u.jpg   Computex pics-20050531-msi_dual6800ultra.jpg  
Old 31st May, 2005, 06:18 PM
AOA Staff

I wonder if that MSI dual-6800U with 1GB will ever be available to buy.
Old 31st May, 2005, 06:20 PM

this picture should explain itself...read the pic name, if ya can't understand...
Attached Thumbnails
Computex pics-smc_10g_and_g_switches.jpg  
Old 31st May, 2005, 06:21 PM

a lian li desk with built-in cardreader
Attached Thumbnails
Computex pics-lian-li_desk.jpg