AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th June, 2005, 06:27 AM

ddr question

if I install a processor with a 533 fsb, according to my mobo manual it will only support ddr266 or ddr333. If i have ddr400 installed with it, will it at least post so I can get into the bios and change my ratio? I've only ever used ddr 266, so I don't know what problems i might run into
Old 5th June, 2005, 09:02 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Yes, you should be able to use PC3200 (DDR400) in any motherboard. But it will only run at the fastest rated speed. Same as putting PC4400 (DDR550) in a regular board. No desktops run this fast at stock, but it is useful for overclocking.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th June, 2005, 10:10 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

On some motherboards, it will depend on whether the SDP rom has been programmed for the slower speeds.
Old 5th June, 2005, 11:02 AM

OK, I dont know what the SDP Rom is. But I think I was sort of right.

Does that count towards my knowledge reliability?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th June, 2005, 12:40 PM
Member/Contributer

Theres no problem running memory slower than it's max rating, most dimms spd contain differant timing settings for differant speeds.

I'm happily running DDR333 at DDR200 in one of my systems

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 5th June, 2005, 04:16 PM

cool. As long as I don't fry my mobo. I knew a guy who bought a stick of ram from someone, and had them install it.. did not go well at all. Smoke, sparks, the works I guess I don't know what I'm doing ither, so I shouldn't laugt TOO hard.
I bought this ram to go with a p4 @ 200fsb, but I'm fed up with this system. I'm just going to buy a celeron D in about a week and a half. I'm sure the p4 would be much better, but the celeron D has the same cache as what I have now, and is fully supported by my newer motherboard. Anxious to use that new motherboard.
Old 5th June, 2005, 04:22 PM

maybe I could boot up with 266 ram in there - change the setting to 333 - save and exit - then swap it with my ddr 400? I don't know what the spd on these sticks is, wether it has any other timings or not. On the samsung site it had max timings listed for different speeds (including 333 - 400), but that ram was not identical to my own, same code on the chips but half the size.
Old 6th June, 2005, 08:18 AM

ok - double posts are bad enough, i won't make a habit of triple posts - cadaveca, what would my worst case scenario be? It wouldn't short anything out, would it, it just wouldn't work? I think i get what Rondog was saying, my mobo just won't run it as ddr400 (unless i oc to that point). 'Cause this is not a high end motherboard, it looks like almost nobody uses it.
Old 6th June, 2005, 08:27 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

worst case scenario is a no POST, with the DDR400 inserted, as is the case with some intel and IBM/dell/HP boards...the bios simply does not recognize the ram....or sets a latency that the ram cannot run at (some ram do not like CAS3, for example, or cannot run CAS2, or a RAS-CAS of 3...and on and on..)

If you get a boot, and properly configure the mem...no worries...

Then again, you could end up with ram running in an unstable manner, and corrupting you data...

DDR400 is cheap cheap right now...but DDR266 or 333 is more expensive in alot of cases(albeit mostly due to retailers, and not mem makers), so buying DDR400 is sometimes a real good option. If you have an "aftermarket" board, that allows you to set up your ram timings, then there is no real cause for concern.
Old 6th June, 2005, 08:38 AM

great, I won't be sweating bullets when I power it up. And that's exactly why I bought this ram - the price was right (100$can for 1gig)
Old 6th June, 2005, 12:46 PM
Member/Contributer

Yeah you aren't gonna go frying anything just putting a stick of ddr400 in, and if somehow it did your warranty should cover it.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 7th June, 2005, 06:21 PM

Sorry to interfere but if i put 2x512 PC4400 what frequence i'll be able to run it at if the board supports DDR400 max ? Sorry for dumb question but i'm a newbie oc'er (wanna-be Pro ).
Old 7th June, 2005, 09:40 PM

PC4400 = DDR550
DDR550 = A FSB rated speed of 275mhz.

Considering that 200mhz FSB is stock standard for almost everything these days. Without overclocking you wouldnt have any need for anything above PC3200, which is DDR400, which runs at 200mhz.

IMO running the RAM faster than the FSB (possible on some boards I believe, will not boost performance, it may even reduce it.

Hope this helps.

Old 8th June, 2005, 05:14 PM

Thanks. That answers my question
Old 9th June, 2005, 12:34 AM
Member/Contributer

running ram above the fsb does little for the P4, though the nforce4 chipset can make use of the overhead I believe for other things.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah