AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th June, 2005, 01:41 PM

Covert Video to DVD

Anyone recommend hardware/software to convert normal VHS video to MPEG2 DVD format? Would I be able to connect video recorder straight into my GeForce 6800 and try from there? Hope someone knows. Thanks.
Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT 256mb
Western Digital 160gig SATA Raid HD
Antec true power 480
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th June, 2005, 02:16 PM
Steve Jobs

It depends on your video card really. Some 6800GTs have full VIVO (Video In Video Out), but most dont. For some reason, while ATI has kept VIVO going, Nvidia cards have left it out for the most part. I imagine your card has TV-Out, but not TV-In. If you are unsure, just give us the make and model of your card, and we can look it up.

If you dont have full VIVO, then you need a TV-Tuner card. My suggestion is the Leadtek Winfast 2000XP Pro. Its a very decent tuner card that is easy to run, and can record directly to an Mpeg-2 File, for easy DVD encoding at a later time. I used a borrowed one to get some old video footage off a non-digital HI8 video camera (me in Disney Land as a 5 year old ) and it did quite a good job of it, and even let me adjust the colour to get rid of the washed out effect old HI8 tapes get. All I used was the software included with the card by Leadtek.

To record all you need to do is plug the output from a VCR (hopefully one with clean heads) into your VIVO capable video card, or more likely into your tuner card's video in plug. Then its a matter of clicking record and selecting the Mpeg-2 format. Very simple to do!

The only problem is its slow. Painfully slow. You have to record everything off the tapes in realtime. On the upside it also allows some editing as well.

By the way, given you have a 6800GT, I imagine your 3D performance is important to you, so I cannot recommend more strongly downloading the 77.13 Forceware drivers from the AOAFiles section. It is the fastest driver to date and will improve your frame rate dramatically. Check back regularly for updates as well, as each one can give your 3D card a little bit extra.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th June, 2005, 10:42 AM

Thankyou for the useful info mate. I have a Gigabyte NVIDIA 6800GT N68T series and it just has TV out ! So the tuner card is my only option. Any idea of prices for these in Australia?

I'm thinking of transfering old sporting games onto DVD for some mates, so this is the reason for my interest.
Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT 256mb
Western Digital 160gig SATA Raid HD
Antec true power 480
Old 8th June, 2005, 10:51 AM
Steve Jobs

You are an Aussie too? Well this is the base model of the Leadtek. I have the upper model which includes the remote control.

It costs $48 from Umart, and I would say that is the best you could do on it as Umart have about the best prices around. http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products...bid=2&sid=8866

The remote version (and its worth it for the remote) is $85. Its the same thing really just with a remote control. http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products...bid=2&sid=5965 Then theres the top model which I have with the remote and cable TV decoding (I like my foxtel movies) http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products...id=2&sid=11408

$48 gets you a TV tuner, so just plug your antenna into it, and you can watch and record TV, video in, and heaps of extras. Best value toy you can get for under $50.

BTW where exactly do you live?
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 8th June, 2005, 11:07 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
You are an Aussie too?

BTW where exactly do you live?
Ohhhhhhhh, noooooooooooo

By the way I have one question. I have received from a friend a samsung tape HI8 PAL/SECAM in order to make a DVD. My camera is Sony HI8, but when I insert it in my camera it's just an empty tape.

1. He gave me the wrong tape
2. Compatibility problem?

Pls help

Chris
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 8th June, 2005, 12:13 PM
Steve Jobs

I honestly couldnt say! I am not a video editing expert truth be known. And I am especially bad with HI8. I have a new sony DV camcorder that I love to death, and my old one, the Sony HI8, is terrible to me. Could be that different brands are incompatible, but I really done know.

What makes me doubt the compatability problem is the fact that you can buy HI8 reader tapes. These things are VHS cassetes, with a hole in the middle which you insert the HI8 tape in, then in turn put it in the VCR and watch the HI8 tape. These are universal, because HI8 is (at least meant to be) a universal format.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah