AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th June, 2005, 03:41 AM

Quality Power supplies

I know that the more popular brand names normally entitle more reliable power at good continous power. But what really makes it good, is it just the amperage on the rails? Or is there another factor? I know to stay away from those psu's with high amps on the 3.3 and 5v rails but then <18 on the 12v rail (on a single 12v rail psu). But lets say I see a name I haven't really seen around or heard about and it shows good rail amperage for 12v also. Like I said other than the given brand name and amperage is there another factor involved with making a psu a good one?
Old 9th June, 2005, 04:12 AM
Steve Jobs

Power ratings are interesting. You can make a 600W PSU, with extremely bad components and design, yet still give it a high amperage rating. Quality is different from quantity however.

Efficiency comes into it. You can have a 600W PSU, that is only 60% efficient, and produces alot of waste heat, and heat is never a good thing. Better quality units are over 80% efficient, and are that efficient when operating at their peak.

Then theres general design. Odd as it sounds, the quality of the connectors is a factor. Some cheap models are loose or too tight, or odd shapes, and some have the wires move around inside them, making them difficult to use and prone to wires comming free of their plug. Cooling also comes under design. You notice the more expensive models use multiple large yet quiet fans, and act to cool the case and CPU, as well as themselves. They are often thermally controlled or user controlled as well.

Finally power quality, and what were looking at is voltage swing here, can vary dramatically. Poorly filtered power, can damage components. That is a fact. It also creates problems for overclockers. Even a unit with a high rating, and high amperage rails, can have poorly filtered power, due to cheap components and design.

That is why an Enermax 431W can perform alot better than a generic 600W. Even though it has a lower rating, it is still more than enough, and is quality power.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th June, 2005, 04:21 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Finding high efficiency PSU's is not very easy, however you will find that most passively cooled models are 85% or higher. problem is that they make them that way becasue they get so darn hot, and under extreme loads, some cannot hold up. That being said, OCZ make a decent PSU, with adjustable rails, although there have been some quality control issues in the past.
Enermax, Thermaltake, PcP&C, OCZ, ANTEC, they all provide a PSU or two that are of high quality...but they cost as much as a decent CPU for decent power ratings, and you must realize that the world record benchers use 600w+++ for singlecard set-ups.

That being said, Thermaltake make some of the best psu's, imho, (or their provider does ), as they have the lowest line noise of any psu i have ever tried. It's my use of thermaltake psu's that had led to me having so few dead parts while overclocking....ANything out of spec, and those puppy's shut right the heck off. NO HARDWARE KILLING SPIKES.

Of course, maybe i just manage to only get decent batches of thermaltake PSU's...

However..they give what they say they will...but no more.

Last edited by cadaveca; 9th June, 2005 at 04:27 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th June, 2005, 04:25 AM
Steve Jobs

Cant argue with that. TT have always done a very good job of making nothing, but putting their brand on the best parts out there. Ive had one of their butterfly ones a while back and was quite impressed by it, and its design in particular.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 9th June, 2005, 02:13 PM
Member/Contributer

The new seasonic S12's are probably the most efficient none passive units around, around 80-85% for normal use, the enermax noisetaker range comes close at about 82%

There are very few good psu makers, enermax and seasonic make the best when it comes to efficiency. Antec are good reliable units, but are terribly inefficient, at least their older models are, not sure sbout their newer ATX V2 units.
Fortron make decent enough reliable units with quite good efficiency, and a lot of other brands use them and lable them their own, SilenX, Nexus and FSP all use Fortron units.

Tobias F√ľnke, M.D.

AOA Team fah