AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th June, 2005, 11:01 PM

Windows doesn't see my new HDD!

I realise that there's bound to be a thread already (and please point me at it if you can find it) - but I have a new Hitachi Deskstar (160G 8mb Cache 100ATA) that is (i think) correctly recognised by my BIOS, & even the BIOS on my K6-2!!

ME can't see it at all, and XP sees it (in device manager only) but won't do anything with it at all.

Anyone got any suggestions?

rig: a7n8x-x, Xp-m 2200 , 3/4 gig mem, fx5200, akasa carnival - 46c stable,

cheers once more to rondog

AOA Team fah

Last edited by Streethawk; 14th June, 2005 at 11:08 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th June, 2005, 12:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

Is it possible that it's not formatted with a format that Windows is able to read? That would certainly stop the whole process. One time I had a hard time hooking up my external hard drive to my roommate's Dell, only to realize after about 10 minutes that my HDD is formatted in HFS+. Windows could see it, but couldn't do anything with it but format.
Old 15th June, 2005, 09:33 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

I had exactly this with a new HD a few months ago. If you go into Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management you will probably see the disc is there but does not allow you to create partitions or format it. Click about and you will find an option saying "initialize disk". Do this, it'll clunk for 5 seconds and your disc will be ready to partition.

Manufacturers should do this for you, really, but I've picked up a couple now that have arrived in "door stop" mode.
Old 15th June, 2005, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain
I had exactly this with a new HD a few months ago. If you go into Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management you will probably see the disc is there but does not allow you to create partitions or format it. Click about and you will find an option saying "initialize disk". Do this, it'll clunk for 5 seconds and your disc will be ready to partition.

Manufacturers should do this for you, really, but I've picked up a couple now that have arrived in "door stop" mode.

that's done the trick mate, thanks

why doesn't windows help in this one? I still prefer DOS!

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th June, 2005, 10:01 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Under DOS it's called FDISK and FORMAT. It's just a bit prettier in Windows.
Old 21st June, 2005, 10:39 PM

well i knew where it was in dos!

AOA Team fah
Old 24th June, 2005, 07:58 PM

Talking

That 's one of the things that haven't changed since DOS days; you always need to partition & format a disk before it can be used by an O.S. (even in Linux) ...

If you would have typed "harddisk partitioning"+"windows xp" in Google, you would 've found something about the disk management in XP (existed already in Windows 2000) ...

1] ... Athlon XP2500+ Barton @ 3000+ & 512 MB RAM WinXP
2] ... Athlon XP2500+ Barton @ 3100+ & 1024 MB RAMWin2k
3] ... Athlon XP2500+ Mobile Barton @ 3200+ & 512 MB RAM WinXP
4&5] Athlon A64X2 3800+ @ 2.6 GHz (~ 5000+) & 2x 1024 MB RAM running @ 237 MHz WinXP

All folding 24/7
Old 4th July, 2005, 08:29 PM

Formatting?

So do you HAVE to format and create a partition?
Im in the process of doing so but the simple 5 second solution didnt work and now im trawling through an 80GB format. am i doing the wrong thing?
Old 5th July, 2005, 01:16 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

I always format a new drive. If you fdisk it, it needs to be formatted before it can be used.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 5th July, 2005, 01:45 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakey_shane
So do you HAVE to format and create a partition?
Im in the process of doing so but the simple 5 second solution didnt work and now im trawling through an 80GB format. am i doing the wrong thing?

When you want to install WindowsXP you don't need to do anything with that disk before the install ...

Just start installing XP, during the install it will ask where you want the installation to happen; then you have to create a partition (6-10GB) and then a format (best use NTFS).

When Windows is installed, go to Disk Management and create other partitions and format those. Here you can even Quick Format when you are in a hurry.
For Professional use this isn't a good idea (no checking of disk integrity) !

4&5] Athlon A64X2 3800+ @ 2.6 GHz (~ 5000+) & 2x 1024 MB RAM running @ 237 MHz WinXP

All folding 24/7
Old 5th July, 2005, 02:30 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Quick format: is the equivalent to pulling the index out of a book but leaves all the pages there (or files).
Full format: is the equivalent of pulling out the index and the pages.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 5th July, 2005, 09:07 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondog
Quick format: is the equivalent to pulling the index out of a book but leaves all the pages there (or files).
Full format: is the equivalent of pulling out the index and the pages.

Not exactly true;

during the Quick Format there isn't done any check on disk integrity.
that 's that annoying thing that Fdisk also does in DOS, where you have to wait till the little counter stops before you can create a partition and each time again for the creation of a second and third partition (and so on).
It 's a quality check of the surface of the platter(s) before any work is done on it or valuable data is recorded on it ...

[even after a 'full' format, data can be recovered with te right software]

All folding 24/7
Old 5th July, 2005, 09:54 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

As the drive is the only device that knows what it's integrety is like, a full format is a little bit redundant. On most IDE/SATA and SCSI drives, the drive keeps a map of 'spare' sectors that it uses to replace sectors it finds are bad. Once that map is full, then you'll start to see bad sectors on the disk. Of course, it helps to have write verify turned on, so the drive can check...
Old 5th July, 2005, 10:06 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
As the drive is the only device that knows what it's integrety is like, a full format is a little bit redundant. On most IDE/SATA and SCSI drives, the drive keeps a map of 'spare' sectors that it uses to replace sectors it finds are bad. Once that map is full, then you'll start to see bad sectors on the disk. Of course, it helps to have write verify turned on, so the drive can check...

Then you are talking of a Low-Level format here.

I was talking of the formatting process in Windows (NT5.x), where you have 'Format' and 'Quick Format' ...

All folding 24/7
Old 5th July, 2005, 11:28 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by noorman
When you want to install WindowsXP you don't need to do anything with that disk before the install ...

Just start installing XP, during the install it will ask where you want the installation to happen; then you have to create a partition (6-10GB) and then a format (best use NTFS).

When Windows is installed, go to Disk Management and create other partitions and format those. Here you can even Quick Format when you are in a hurry.
For Professional use this isn't a good idea (no checking of disk integrity) !

Ah, it sounds like he is not installing XP and simply wants the extra drive as storage.

AOA Team fah