AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th June, 2005, 10:51 PM

CD-RW/ DVD on SATA?

Does anyone know if any CD-RW's have SATA outputs so I could run a SATA HDD on one channel and an opticle drive on the other?
Intel 82875P Chipset
P4 478 3.0EGHz 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 HTT
2GB Corsair XMS PC3200 CL2 DDR 400 RAM
ATI Radeon X800XL AGP 8X 256mb
2x Samsung SP0812C SATA RAID 0 4K cluste
Toshiba TS-H92A CD-RW/DVD
Toshiba TS-H552B CD/DVDW
Viewsonic VA912b DVI/LCD Monitor
Altec Lansing 5.1 Surround Sound
Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0
Windows XP Pro SP3

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th June, 2005, 12:08 AM
Member/Contributer

MSI do one

http://msicomputer.co.uk/products.as...duct_id=703456

I've gotta ask is there any reason in particular you want a sata drive? there are pretty much no performance benefits

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th June, 2005, 12:49 AM

plextor has one which is a sata DVDRW drive with 8mb cache. but seems to me that there is no real "noticiable" difference from what i have heard. this plexy cost a whole crap load of money too for the sata better off getting a NEC 3520A.
Old 20th June, 2005, 01:23 AM
Member/Contributer

there are no benefits other than a smaller cable in using sata for optical drives. In fact using sata hard drives means it makes the most sense to use the 2 ide channels for individual optical drives.

Now if the reasoning behind using sata for optical drives is to use more than 4 drives for duplication purposes, then it makes more sense to go for a board with an ide raid controller or a pci ide card as it will cost much less than the added cost of a sata cd writer

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 20th June, 2005, 02:47 AM

Thanks guys

Thanks for the feedback.I just thought I'd throw that out there and see what came back.My reasoning was leaning toward avoiding buffer underruns due to the higher transfer rate of the SATA bus.Sounds more like cost prohibitive for the amount of return,but eventually the IDE will fall by the wayside like floppys and serial ports.I appreciate you putting up the link to the writer too!Classy move!Thanks Graham!
Intel 82875P Chipset
Toshiba TS-H552B CD/DVDW
Windows XP Pro SP3

Last edited by radcon56; 20th June, 2005 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Added text
Old 20th June, 2005, 03:35 AM
Member/Contributer

I doubt sata would help with that, if it's even a problem as I don't remember the last time I had a buffer underun. The amount of bandwidth on the ide bus is plenty enough, even for the fastest dvd writers

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 20th June, 2005, 08:04 AM
Steve Jobs

Some people have issues with mobos that default to older PIO modes when using optical drives, so that is always a posibility, but UDMA33 and above is the beez kneez
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 20th June, 2005, 09:35 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Most buffer underruns are nothing to do with the interface, but all to do with things like speed of hard disks, fragmentation and how busy the CPU is.
Old 21st June, 2005, 03:58 AM

I went into the device manager and looked up IDE/ATAPI controllers and the primary was defaulted to DMA but the secondary was PIO so I had to change it to DMA manually under advanced settings.You're right on top of it again dsio!!
Intel 82875P Chipset
Toshiba TS-H552B CD/DVDW
Windows XP Pro SP3