AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th June, 2005, 11:32 PM

Red face Can Ocz tell ive exceeded ram voltage

Hi,

Is there any way that OCZ can tell I have put 3.7 -3.8 volts throught my VX (only for about 10 mins). One of the sticks has gone bad while at 3.4v and I want to RMA it. Do the chips have some kind of onboard voltage record that can tell if the warranty has been invaliated.

Thanks
Old 20th June, 2005, 11:33 PM
Member/Contributer

No

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th June, 2005, 11:34 PM

phew , thanks.

Last edited by rivercard; 21st June, 2005 at 02:44 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st June, 2005, 02:07 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

They can't tell that you have specifically applied 3.4v to it, but they will probably be able to tell that you have overvolted it.

If I were you, I would try telling them exactly what happened. They might give you a replacement stick, they might not. They might work out a deal with you to buy a new stick at a discounted rate, they might not. It has been my experience that companies that deal with overclockers are generally willing to work with them on issues like this. That's part of the reason you pay the price premium.

Your choice, but remember that if you RMA the stick without being honest about what happened, we ALL bear the cost of your mistake.
Old 21st June, 2005, 02:43 AM

I can see your point, I doubt that me overvolting for that small amount of time had much to do with them dying though as this did not happen until many months later and they ran fine during that time. It seems there are a load of people having this problem with OCZ VX. Its something to do with running on the 5v rail.

Besides Im not one of those people you see on the forums who take the piss and claim warranty all the time infact I havent RMA'ed anything before.
Old 21st June, 2005, 04:36 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Regardless of what others say, I've chosen to never go over 2.8v, even with good heatspreaders.... When stuff doesn't overclock as well as expected, I bitch and moan and complain (sometimes kick things) and move on. I accept that most reviewers are BS artists showing off, and I bite the bullet. Last Christmas, I bought 4 gigs of HyperX, tested all and stuck the best 2 sticks in my machine. Took the rest and spread them out over other machines. There was a major variation in performance among all the sticks, including 2 that did not live up to spec even.... which I returned.

The fact of the matter is, 2.5v is the spec for which DDR is designed. Marketing "gurus" have realized what overclockers have known for a long time... Juice it up for performance gains(then charge for it).... they have yet to realize the downside of that experiment.

I see a lot of folks going over 3.0v for experimental purposes. At 3.4v, the sticks were taking over 40% juice than standards allow (+/- 5%). My guess is that all it took was a few moments to create microfissures that took months to grow into real problems. Although I agree with Giz, I won't repeat his sentiment. Your equipment, your money, your call.

EDIT: FYI... my main rig is running PC3200 HyperX @240FSB with only 2.5v. I slowed timings to cas2.5 to do it, and while my mobo can do 3.2v (i think) I'm not even tempted to improve timings by adding volts. They wouldn't do cas2 with 2.8 so I went for the best power draw instead, with no regrets.

Last edited by SteveI; 21st June, 2005 at 04:43 AM.
Old 21st June, 2005, 08:48 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

you can tell if ram has been overvolted by the errors it gives....provided there is not heat damage as well (and a few other things) if they did not die right away from voltage applied, it's pretty hard to tell...but not impossible. voltage tends to waer on components other than the ramchips themselves....

anything up to 3.1v is within winbond's design, and anything above is ok, as long as temps do not go too high, but should only be used for benching or burn-in. anything up to 2.85 is within samsung spec, and only max of 3.1v for burn-in, with something like a 120mm tornado blowing on em.

jdec spec is 2.5v 2.5-3-3-8 for DDR400. anything running cas3 is not a reall jedec spec, but one that was added at a lter time from the primary 2.5-3-3-8, if mym memory seves me correctly. in fact, pretty much every mem out there is running out of jedec specs, so you might as well throw any specs, when it comes to mem, out the window.
Old 21st June, 2005, 10:31 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Winbond recommend you do not exceed 2.7V, but rate their absolute maximum for power supply between -0.3V and 3.6V. That's pretty much within the JEDEC absolute maximums.

JEDEC spec for DDR400 is VDD and VDDQ 2.6V ±0.1V. CAS3 is valid for DDR400 under the JESD79D (DDR) specification. DDR400A runs at 2.5-3-3, DDR400B at 3-3-3, and DDR400C at 3-4-4.

Oh, and moving from 2.6V to 3.4V (23% increase) increases the heat output from the RAM by 60%.

Last edited by Áedán; 21st June, 2005 at 10:37 AM.
Old 21st June, 2005, 02:57 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercard
I can see your point, I doubt that me overvolting for that small amount of time had much to do with them dying though as this did not happen until many months later and they ran fine during that time. It seems there are a load of people having this problem with OCZ VX. Its something to do with running on the 5v rail.

Besides Im not one of those people you see on the forums who take the piss and claim warranty all the time infact I havent RMA'ed anything before.
Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as being preachy or anything. The only point I was trying to make is that overclocking is inherently risky. If you aren't willing to accept the risks, then you shouldn't be doing it.

If you only ran them for like 10 minutes at 3.4v and they ran fine for months after that, then that is exactly what I would tell OCZ. Under those conditions, it is fairly likely that they will go ahead and exchange the sticks (although I can't promise anything, since I don't work for them ). It may even be that the two failures are unrelated (I suspect that is unlikely, but it IS possible) in which case they may want to do a failure analysis on them to see exactly what the failure was.

Anyway, it's your call. BTW, welcome to the forums!
Old 21st June, 2005, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Winbond recommend you do not exceed 2.7V, but rate their absolute maximum for power supply between -0.3V and 3.6V. That's pretty much within the JEDEC absolute maximums.

JEDEC spec for DDR400 is VDD and VDDQ 2.6V ±0.1V. CAS3 is valid for DDR400 under the JESD79D (DDR) specification. DDR400A runs at 2.5-3-3, DDR400B at 3-3-3, and DDR400C at 3-4-4.

Oh, and moving from 2.6V to 3.4V (23% increase) increases the heat output from the RAM by 60%.
thanks aedan. i knew someone would have the right info. pretty sure it was 2.5v tho... gotta love ddr400a, b and c!

funny how 2-2-2-5 is not really mentioned...
Old 21st June, 2005, 06:47 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

It's odd that a lot of manufacturers allow up to 3.3 or 3.6V for the power source for their RAM, but recommend staying with 2.6/2.7V.
Old 21st June, 2005, 07:02 PM

Quote:
It's odd that a lot of manufacturers allow up to 3.3 or 3.6V for the power source for their RAM, but recommend staying with 2.6/2.7V.
shhhhhhhhh! don't tell anyone!

Old 27th June, 2005, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercard
One of the sticks has gone bad while at 3.4v and I want to RMA it.
If the memory went bad at 3.4v, you have nothing to worry about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCZ's web site
OCZ VX Gold Edition memory modules are rated to handle up to an incredible 3.5V without invalidating the OCZ Lifetime Warranty so that performance enthusiasts can tweak their systems without worry.
Cheers!
Dave
Old 27th June, 2005, 03:03 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Eh, not really. The absolute maximum ratings are just the voltages that you shouldn't exceed unless you are willing to risk immediate castrophic failure. 5v TTL parts can typically withstand 7v absolute maximum, even though they are only rated for 5.5v typical operating. Same kind of deal.