AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th June, 2005, 10:29 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Tom's Hardware Dual Core Stress Test

By now, most of you have heard about the dual-core stress test shootout over at Tom's Hardware Guide. They've taken an Intel Pentium 840EE and an AMD Athlon-64 X2 4800+ and put them through a stress test for the last 18 days.

The winner? Well, that kinda depends on what you are interested in. Seems the Intel chip is better at running multiple applications, so long as it can take advantage of hyperthreading (i.e. you need WinXP or Win2K3). This means that the Intel chip would be better for things like application servers. The AMD chip excels at running individual applications, though, which makes it better for average desktop use. In addition, the AMD chip consumes something like 30% less power while doing so.

Something else that is interesting. Seems the nVidia nForce 4 for Intel is not quite ready for prime time (Tom's killed 3 boards).

Anyway, you can read more about it here at Tom's.

So, are you going to bite the bullet and get an Athlon X2, or an Intel 8xx? Or are you just going to wait until the dust settles and the price comes down?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th June, 2005, 11:02 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Good info Gizmo!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th June, 2005, 06:12 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thank you for posting this Front Page article, Gizmo. Very good choice!
I'm leaning strongly toward an Athlon64 X2. It consumes a good deal less power, ergo, it runs considerably cooler than the Dual-cored Pentium. Add the crappiness of the "nForce4" ~$225 motherboard for Intel's "x2"--and they got a LOT of nerve!

I've read that Intel's Pentium "x2" is cobbled together, not originally designed for dual-core operation from the ground up as is the AMD 64X2.

So, the Pentium 840EE is the obvious winner. Gimme a break! It will be more expensive, the m'boards for it will be more expensive and it runs real hot, to boot.

AMD is miles ahead of Swintel--again. I shall reward the plucky little company for their superior processor, I've been in Swintel land for too long.
Old 25th June, 2005, 06:50 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

If i had to get one, it would be the AMD as they also seem better for gaming overall among the various online communities. You do get more for your money with AMD, especially if it's a 64. If i had to get one, i'd wait until the price cam down and get the AMD.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Old 25th June, 2005, 07:13 PM

The really interesting thing to me was the reliability issue - until they swapped over to the Intel board, they had stability problems. AMD has come a long way, and I will likely keep buying thier chips in the future.

AOA Team fah
Old 26th June, 2005, 12:51 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

YaY. To AMD conversions. I think, I may have read cloasters post wrong.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 27th June, 2005, 11:47 AM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

I shall be building a rig (for folding no less!) over the summer for my housemate which is looking to be built off the Intel D 830 or 840 depending on what the prices are like when the dust has settled a little (late july - mid august)