AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th June, 2005, 04:50 AM

24 pin PSU. Need your thoughts and advice.

Hi guys,

Hows everyone doing? Its been awhle since I posted here... Nice to see the site growing.

Anyways, My problem is:

Ive just bought a new PSU thats got a 24pin mainboard connector while my mobo requires only a 20pin. The thing is that the 24pin connector that came with my PSU can be split into 2 to make it a 20pin + 4pin connector. I understand that some PSUs have this feature too and my understanding is that this feature is available to make it backwards compatible with older boards. The problem arises when I split the connector and plug the 20pin into the board and..... the board doesnt spin up. Funny thing is "I see its trying to boot" but doesnt go all the way. I can also see that there is power in the board bcoz there is LED the lights up when I switch the PSU on. I have the ASUS A7V880 board...

Whats your take on this? I know the system works because I swapped out the 24pin PSU with an older 20pin PSU and the whole system works fine.

And btw, how do I short a PSU to turn it on while not connected to the board again? Ive done it before but I forgot if I should short the green and black or yellow or black wires...

THanks
Old 29th June, 2005, 05:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to bypolar

I am not real sure why yu get that momentary power surge. But Here is a Diagram how to power up the supply connect the Green wire to one of the black coms on either side.
http://home.bendbroadband.com/bypolar/p1-1.JPG
Old 29th June, 2005, 07:21 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

I run the watercooling on one of my systems by using a wire twisttie(with rubberized outside, of course) to connect the two spots i have circled(pins #4{COM} and #6{COM} with the "tab hold" facing "up") so that my psu stays on all the time. When i remove the "jumper", the PSU power down. This way the waterpump, and all the fans in the system are run off of a seperate powersource, to eliminate EMI and such nonsense being passed to the system. I was recommended this by way of a Koolance manual, and the jumper included with thier cases...the jumper is so you can run the system disconnected from the mainboard to check for leaks and bleed the air out of the lines.
Attached Thumbnails
24 pin PSU. Need your thoughts and advice.-untitled.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by cadaveca; 29th June, 2005 at 07:31 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th June, 2005, 02:48 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I'm not certain of this, but it may be that your 8RDA3+ requires the 4-pin 12v connector to function. You'll notice that the 24-pin layout includes both 5v and 3.3v on that extra 4 pins. If you tried to plug that extra 4-pin connector into the 12v connector on the mobo, I doubt it would fit. However, even if it did, you would be shorting the +5v to ground and the 12v to the 3.3v, and you would cause the power supply to behave as you describe.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th June, 2005, 03:25 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

I thought the system in question was an Asus A7V880?
Old 29th June, 2005, 03:56 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

You are correct. I was looking at his tag line, rather than the message. My mistake.
Old 1st July, 2005, 06:36 AM

THanks for all the responses....

Sorry for the tag line gizmo. Will change the it soon. I retired my Epox board due to leaking capacitors...