AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd July, 2005, 03:46 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

'Doing my homework'

Hi all,
as i recently decided (with a lot of help) to get a new setup, i'm trying to find out as much as i can about the new components just so i know what to expect. The 'chosen one(s)' i want to know more about are:

Nvidia 6800 256mb PCI-E

Nvidia 6800
What is the latest game it can play with AA enabled at 1024x768?
What kind of score should i expect in 3dmark'05 and 3dmark'01 SE?
What could this be overclocked to?

As i said, i'm just finding out what i can about them.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd July, 2005, 04:00 PM
Member/Contributer

The answers you're after will be heavily affected by your CPU and memory and will vary quite a bit.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd July, 2005, 04:10 PM

CPU: Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
Memory: Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200PT Platinum CAS3

Old 2nd July, 2005, 05:18 PM
Member/Contributer

05 4k stock ~4500 overclocked
01 18k stock 20k overclocked (the 6 series underperform in 3dmark01 but it's not a big issue unless you like 300fps from your dx8 games)

Oerclocking is difficult to predict, anything from 350/750 to 450/900 depending on cooling and the psu quality

One thing to note about the pci-e 6800 is it's based on the NV41 not NV40 so only has 12pp5vu and none to be unlocked unlike it's AGP sibling, but it does have a working pure video unit

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 2nd July, 2005, 05:46 PM

300FPS! That's a little too much of a good thing. The max payne demo would finish in about 10 seconds like that! Anyone got any ideas on how to overclock it (o/c'ing it to about 400/800)? And any ideas on how i overclock the athlon 64 3000+ without damaging it (o/c'ing to 2.6Ghz which is the exact speed i'm after, that's where '1337' begins' IMHO ? I've never really overclocked anything major so i think it's time i started learning.

Old 2nd July, 2005, 09:31 PM
Member/Contributer

the overclocking really won't damage it, it's voltage that does it, and with the A64 as long as you don't use silly levels your fine. With the 6800 leaving it at stock voltage is best

To overclock nvidia cards you just enable coolbits in the registry or use a performance modified driver set and use the driver control panel overclocking page, it's dead simple you just increase the clock speed slightly, test for artifacts using atitool (the artifact detector works on all cards) and when you find the ceiling test a 3dmark looping demo.

I think you should hold off your plans for specific clock speeds, last thing you wanna do is get your hopes up. The A64 I would go out on a limb and say will almost certainly reach 2.6ghz. The 6800 though is impossible to predict, it will do whatever it will do when you get it, to aim for such specific clocks is unrealistic, it may do more it may do less

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 2nd July, 2005, 09:52 PM

Ok, well, the GPU is quite fast as it is, i just want to squeeze as much speed out of it as possible. So, the GPU is easy to overclock. I know it's the voltage, you told me the other day.

I just want to know how i go about overclocking the A64 as i don't want to be stuck at stock. As a fish from 'Finding Nemo' once said, i was born for speed. This 'project' is the major event of the year for me, i've never used a truly fast computer. And as broadband (2mbps) is an almost certainty within the next 2 months, then i will have the connection to match the PC.

Old 2nd July, 2005, 11:33 PM
Member/Contributer

I'll see if I can dig up a K8 overclocking guide. Basically the bus system and overclocking with an A64 is completely differant to previous cpu's

It doesn't have an fsb exactly. Instead there is the onboard memory controller, the speed of this is controlled by a division of the cpu clock speed and is usually in sync with the HT bus though it can be set to lower dividers.

Then there is the HT bus. By default this runs at 5x200mhz and the 200mhz is where the cpu speed is derrived from using a multiplier.

So the four key components are cpu multiplier, HT multiplier, memory divider and finally the HT bus speed

You can't increase the cpu multiplier but you can lower it, and this is more useful than it sounds when working with standard DDR400.

For example a 3000+ has a multiplier of 9. So stock it runs at 1.8ghz

A good NF3/4 board will easily handle 50% bus speed overclocks, so you would set the HT bus speed to 300mhz. Now by default that would put the HT bus at 1.5ghz, way too fast, so you would lower it, probably to a 3x ratio giving 900mhz, a slight underclock but the thing to remember about this bus is it carries no memory data, so it has a lot of overhead.

Running at a 300mhz HT bus also puts the memory at 300mhz (600mhz DDR) so unless it's top rated stuff with 3.4V going thorugh it this would be a problem. To get the memory running back down at 200mhz you would need to set a memory speed that when multiplied by 1.5 would equal 200 which would be 133. Doing this you also need to make sure no memory timings are set to auto as the bios will thing you are running at DDR266 and if the memory spd contains differant timings for differant speeds, will try and run with the timings set too tight.

Obviously this is a very basic guide to a straight 50% overclock. It doesn't cover memory overclocking, which with any luck can manage 5-10%

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd July, 2005, 11:32 AM

Well, the memory is Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200PT Platinum CAS3 like i said, i'm not sure of the voltage of it. The mobo is a DFI NF4 board so overall, it's going to be a pretty picture for overclocking? Good, good. I tried to find a guide to overclocking the 3000+, but without any luck.

Old 3rd July, 2005, 04:02 PM
Member/Contributer

Any NF4 guide will do.

The best way to learn though is just to fiddle with things yourself when you get it. You always have the cmos reset to fall back on. Theres no sure way to lay down a tweaking guide, it's al about striking a balance

Just make suer yo stay well clear of the jumpers that change the dimm voltage source from 3.3V to 5V, these are for advanced users only and I've heard there are issues on the DFI NF4 boards using that anyway

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd July, 2005, 08:00 PM

I found a guide at http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12960
Here's what i think he was trying to say (in short).

If i want to overclock the CPU:

Set the CPU multiplyer to default
Set the LDT multiplyer to 2.5 x or 3 x.
Set RAM Ratio to 100MHz.
Set the CPU Vcore to (not sure what the venice will need to be set to, is 1.6V a good idea?)
Overclock the HTT by 10 - 15MHz.
Boot into windows and run SuperPi at 32M calculations.
If it's stable, up the HTT by another 10-15MHz.
Run SuperPi at 32M (again).
Repeat until SuperPi gives an error then back HTT down in 2MHz increments until stable.
Run OCCT for 30Mins (not torture test).
Back down HTT in 2MHz increments until OCCT passes.
Run 3DMark'01, '02 and '05 and if they fail, back MHz down in 2MHz increments.
Run Prime95 for at least 8 hours.
If it fails, back off HTT in 2MHz increments.

THE HTT YOU HAVE NOW IS YOUR CPU MAX!

I'm not bothered about overclocking RAM atm, just the CPU and GPU. I know that was a little long but actually, it could be used for other users wanting to overclock their A64's. Just need to adapt the CPU Vcore which i don't know what to set to for the 3000+ Venice. Any ideas?

Old 3rd July, 2005, 10:15 PM
Member/Contributer

I'd do close to what it says there but I'd skip straight to setting the HTT clock to 300 and set the ram to 133, chances are it will work and save you an hour or so going through the motions of testing clock speeds you know will work.

Where you go from there is up to you, it's worth isolating memory limits to see if it's worth going beyond a 300mhz HTT clock, with any luckyou could get to ~320mhz which would put the memory clock at around ~428mhz
If the ram doesn't manage this then it's probably not worth going any higher and loosing memory bandwidth for the sake of cpu clock speed

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah