AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd July, 2005, 01:59 AM

Guide to overclocking for me plz.

Okies ive got the hang of CPU overclocking...but i just cant figure out where i shud start with RAM/GPU etc.

Specs:
ePox 9NPA+ Non Ultra
3500+ Winchester 939
1GB (2x512) Dual Channel Geil Ultra-X PC3200 2-2-2-5
X850XT @ Stock Clock
Enermax 600w SilentCool with 2x12v Rails
Other stuff.

Ok can sum1 give me the low down on what they wud do with my setup? As if they were starting a fresh, but like to overclock abit. What tools wud i need? What shud i do first?

Basically i wanna run as much as i can as fast as i can.

Also can any1 recommend a Water Cooling Kit?

Thanks guys.
Old 3rd July, 2005, 09:04 AM
Member/Contributer

water-cooling can be found on a google search. Look into polarflo, danger den, swiftech. That will be good or lead you to what you need.

As far as overclocking, I'm sure we have a FAQ around here, but to get you started:

go into your bios. Go into the advanced chipset features(or something to this effect) menu. find where you can adjust the ram frequency(HTT/LDT maybe). Change the frequency to another number(CPU speed = HTTxMultiplier). Once you've got this changed, reboot. If it boots, bam you got an overclock. This is how its done, but not the proper methodology.

Ideally you will want to eventually find out your max CPU frequency, max ram frequency, ram timings and what kinds of voltages you can add to the cpu to get gains, before you're just making more heat and instability.

CPU frequency max:
Set your proc to the highest multiplier(should be 11x?) then set your ram to run asynch(100/133/166/200<--200 is synch usually), or it will have a divider(5:4, 3:4 etc). This will eliminate your ram as a cause of instability. Then add more HTT which will go against the multiplier to make a CPU frequency. Boot into windows and test stability with gaming, prime95, or any other test. Keep doing this until it becomes unstable. ***make sure you set your HTT link, HTT multiplier, whatever its called anymore so that that multiplier times the HTT frequency does not exceed 1000mhz. So at stock 200mhz, the multi will be 5x. At 250 you'd want 4x. and so on.****

Ram speed- Timings will limit your rams frequency, but they are also important to a degree. To find the max frequency drop the multiplier on the CPU to eliminate the CPU as the cause of instability. Then make sure the divider(from above) is 200 or 1:1. This will lock the ram to the same speed as the HTT. Crank it up as far as it will go while still stable(testing after 5mhz or so). Add more voltage if you want(same thing goes for CPU if temps aren't too bad add more voltage).

GPU works about like the CPU/RAM, just bump the GPU the same as the CPU, test every 5 mhz or so on the core, then lower the GPU and raise the ram. Do both until you get artifacts(white dots "snow"/broken glass like fragments). If you get them, drop the clocks back 5-10mhz and try again. Then try to balence these max numbers.

hope that helps
Old 3rd July, 2005, 09:34 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Overclocking CPU: Go to BIOS. Athlon 64's have locked multipliers. And a HTT of 200mhz. The 3500+ has a multiplier of 11 and a clock speed of 2200mhz. This is achieved by multiplier*HTT. 11*200=2200mhz.

NOTE: Your RAM should allow for a great deal of overclocking. To start with increase the HTT in increments of 10mhz. Reboot run stability. Prime95 is favoured, but I dont like it, I prefer SuperPI. You can get both from www.aoafiles.com .

When there is instability in these tests, in BIOS increase the vCore (CPU voltage) to about 1.6v. And see if this improves stability. If not, try increasing the vDimm (RAM voltage) by the smallest ammount. If this doesnt work, lower the vDimm to stock again, and loosen the timings from 2-2-2-5 to 2.5-3-3-6. If this also fails, reset the timings, to 2-2-2-5, and set the RAM divider to 166mhz. (THIS IS SHOULDNT BE NEEDED ON HIGH QUALITY RAM!) If all this fails, reset RAM divider to 200mhz (stock) and lower the HTT by 5mhz increments until stability is restored.

Winchester's should reach 2.6ghz+ on air, with cool/mild room temperatures.

Overclocking GPU: A HIGHER CORE CLOCK IS BETTER THAN A HIGH MEMORY CLOCK. Get ATi Tool. And click "Find max core" when it finds it, (it may take a while), write it down somewhere, then put it back to stock, and repeat with "Find max memory". Once found put both max core and max memory clocks on by moving the sliders and click set clock. If it artefacts, reload the default speeds, and reboot computer. Repeat the process of GPU overclocking EXCEPT when setting the mem clock, set it 15mhz lower than the max. If this is stable, increase by 5mhz. Until artefacts occur. When max clock is found, save the profile. Set it to start your overclocked profile upon booting. And your done.

Further GPU tweaking can be done by lowering the memory latencies of the RAM which are all found under the "Memory" button. Lower latencies by one at a time. Because if you go even 1 latency lower on the wrong setting causes MASSIVE artifacts and could potentially turn your high-end graphics card into a $900 paper-weight.

Although I did, I dont recommend overclocking on a stock cooler. Thermaltake air coolers, or water coolers are best for overclocking unles you wish to buy a $1200 VapourChill case.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd July, 2005, 06:22 PM

Cant seem to get my GPU Core past stock (520) and mem past stock (540) I dont geddit...When i do the find max core it gets to about 560 then my computer freezes beeps then blue screens after 10-20secs of more freezing.

What the hell is going on? and when i do max mem it gets to about 550 then i see artifacts.

Its a Sapphire X850XT people have done better on this card.

The card also runs close to 80c on stock

Perhaps a dodgey card?

Plus does any1 have an idea how far i shud go with my CPU? Ive got a ThermalTake "Beetle" runs at about 34c idle and 40c under load. This is with a fan cooled system bear in mind.

Thanks for tips so far.
Old 4th July, 2005, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2butonz
Cant seem to get my GPU Core past stock (520) and mem past stock (540) I dont geddit...When i do the find max core it gets to about 560 then my computer freezes beeps then blue screens after 10-20secs of more freezing.
I would say you have found the cards, limit for whatever reason. With temps that high, I wouldnt add more voltage to stabilise the clock without water cooling. I dont think anyone would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2buttonz
What the hell is going on? and when i do max mem it gets to about 550 then i see artifacts.

Its a Sapphire X850XT people have done better on this card.

The card also runs close to 80c on stock

Perhaps a dodgey card?
Doubtful. If you are comfortable. Pull the heat sink off you graphics card, and apply a fresh layer of Arctic Silver 5. And put on a better cooler, or the stock one again if a better cooler isnt possible. Should lower temps. Ask cadaveca about X850XT temps, he would know more than myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2butonz
Plus does any1 have an idea how far i shud go with my CPU? Ive got a ThermalTake "Beetle" runs at about 34c idle and 40c under load. This is with a fan cooled system bear in mind.

Thanks for tips so far.
Push it until it idles at about 38°C.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th July, 2005, 05:53 PM

Awesome will do. I'll keep u updated on this thread, just incase i need sum more help but thanks a billion newayz. Ive not seen such a active/resourceful forum b4, I mean id b still running a GF3Ti if it wasnt for forums and help from people.

"We all start somewhere"
Old 5th July, 2005, 01:07 AM

Glad to be of assistance. I started a somewhat similar thread about 6 months ago. If you any help. Just add me to MSN. milhouse_398 at hotmail dot com

Old 6th July, 2005, 07:51 AM

Ive added u.

Just coz im too stupid to work out why i cant overclock a MHz past clock on nething :P

Speak to u soon.

Btw my addy is Ss_Shadow_Sonic_sS@hotmail.com
Old 6th July, 2005, 01:55 PM

Ohh, I was wondering who that was.

Now I know.