AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th July, 2005, 06:42 AM

Send a message via MSN to marcofra2000

Recommend me a monitor

I'm looking to buy a monitor. It has to be for gaming and DVDs. Also it has to be a 20 inch or over. I've read a long time ago about Apple and Dell making good monitors, but I don't know what to choose.
2x512 Ballistix DDR PC-3200
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
Maxtor 80 gig
Antec 430 Watts
Onkyo HT-S760, 750 Watts.

Opinions are like butts, we all have them and they all stink at one time or another. But when people's butts stink we don't go around cleaning them, so please don't tell people that their opinions stink.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th July, 2005, 06:53 AM

Samsung, Veiwsonic AOC......only ones I can recommend.
Old 16th July, 2005, 10:00 AM

i got a tft 19"videoseven with speaker at the base of the monitor not many tft have speaker

sabertooth 990FX
amd FX8350 @4.2ghz
16GB 1600mhz hyperX ram
AMD HD7970 3GB asus DCPC graphics
hyperX 120GB SSD
WD 320GB hard drive
1TB,500GB working over usb3
corsair HX850 psu
aerocool cyclone black case
window 8.1
asus monitor 24" 1920x1200 res.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th July, 2005, 11:41 AM
Member/Contributer

Budget? crt/tft?

My recomendations would be a CRT for games and dvd's, and I would suggest the iiyama Vision Master Pro 514

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 16th July, 2005, 02:51 PM
AOA Staff

For LCD's there's only a handful of manufacturers who actually make the panels.

Dell definately don't make panels they buy the panels from those who do. Some of their best ones, which are very good, contain a panel made by LG Phillips.

I think Apple also use LG Phillips LCD panels on some of their models anyhow.
Old 16th July, 2005, 08:45 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

It has been my experience that LG Phillips makes some of the best panels around, also.

For CRT monitors, I have been absolutely amazed by the performance of my Samsung SyncMaster 955DF. It's discontinued now, but you should be able to find something equivalent. Just make sure that on CRTs, you look at the dot pitch, not the maximum resolution. It does absolutely no good to have a video amplifier that can generate 2048x1664 if the dot pitch won't support it. For example, many 17" monitors claim to be able to run 1600x1200 max resolution, yet they have a .22 dot pitch, which means they haven't physically got enough pixels to display that resolution.
Old 16th July, 2005, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
Budget? crt/tft?

My recomendations would be a CRT for games and dvd's, and I would suggest the iiyama Vision Master Pro 514
I'm thinking going TFT to save some space, unless you can find a CRT that isn't as big as what I have. The iiyama Vision looks good. I've been doing some research and it looks like Apple Cinema 20 inch and Dell Ultrasharp 2005fpw are very good monitors.
Maxtor 80 gig
Antec 430 Watts

Opinions are like butts, we all have them and they all stink at one time or another. But when people's butts stink we don't go around cleaning them, so please don't tell people that their opinions stink.
Old 16th July, 2005, 08:58 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcofra2000
Apple Cinema 20 inch and Dell Ultrasharp 2005fpw are very good monitors.
Chances are that they both contain the same panel. If they do, I would just go for the Dell which is likely to cost less.
Old 16th July, 2005, 09:01 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Bout time your replacing that thing!!!
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 16th July, 2005, 10:02 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcofra2000
I'm thinking going TFT to save some space, unless you can find a CRT that isn't as big as what I have. The iiyama Vision looks good. I've been doing some research and it looks like Apple Cinema 20 inch and Dell Ultrasharp 2005fpw are very good monitors.
Yeah any CRT above 17" is big, that 22" iiyama will be a big bulky heavy beast

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 16th July, 2005, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
Yeah any CRT above 17" is big, that 22" iiyama will be a big bulky heavy beast
Well, my monitor is a 17" Proview made in 1999 which looks something like this http://www.proview.net/pdfs/ps115A.pdf but it has .28 mm pitch. The iiyama might not be big in width as this proview, but this 3 monitors the Apple Cinema, the Dell Ultrasharp and the iiyama are around the price that I'm willing to pay. So which one is better for games and DVDs?
Maxtor 80 gig
Antec 430 Watts

Old 17th July, 2005, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie
Bout time your replacing that thing!!!
LOL, actualy I bought a cell phone (Nokia 7710), paid for it but at then they returned my money since it wasn't in stock. So I was like "what is the next thing in my list to buy." I staired at the screen and thought for like five minutes until my eyes kinda hurted, that clicked me and now I'm on the market for a new monitor that I have tried to buy since like 3 years always Rob telling me "you still ahve this piss of __, Go buy a new one."

After looking at the prices, the Dell Ultrasharp 2005 fpw is the lowest in price. Buying a monitor is something that should take time and research. Don't want to buy something that will regret and my eyes would hate looking at.
Maxtor 80 gig
Antec 430 Watts

Old 17th July, 2005, 08:38 AM
Steve Jobs

Ive been a CRT fan for ages. LCDs are still criminally overpriced, so when that settles Ill get a biggie.

My two monitors are an AOC 9LR 19", purely because its small enough to go in the car, and very easy to carry and move. Also its black, and has built in magnetic shielding so speakers dont hurt it at lans.

The monitor I use most of the time is a Sony 21" studio edition trinitron from 1997. Even though its a bit long in the tooth, no monitor Ive used to date is capable of the same refresh rates and insane resolutions. 1600x1200@100hz without doing the funny warping thing. On the downside, its enough to put you in a wheelchair if you dont lift it with another person, and trinitrons have always suffered terribly from that yellow discolouration thing. The entire plastic case of mine looks browny yellow after only 8 years. It has the most brilliant colour and sharpest image I have ever seen in a monitor by a long shot. I bought it off a creative design studio for AU$900 in 2003 and cant be happier.

Try looking at a couple of biggie trinitrons second hand. They last forever
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 18th July, 2005, 11:48 PM

Thankyou everyone for your comments and help. I just decided to buy the Dell 2005 FPW. I'll post back when recieved.
Maxtor 80 gig
Antec 430 Watts

Old 19th July, 2005, 12:44 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Can't wait to "see" it!!!
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 15th August, 2005, 02:54 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

HYUNDAI (Image Quest)
$345.99
Rating 5 EGGS[409 reviews]

HYUNDAI L90D+ Silver 19" 8ms LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1 Built in Speakers 0.294mm Pixel Pitch - Retail

* Model #: L90D+
* Item #: N82E16824179014
***This item is warranted through the product manufacturer only.
**Dead Pixels Policy: Replacement or Refund for 8 or more dead pixels only.

* In Stock
* $12.00 FedEx Saver Shipping
* (Not available in HI, AK, and PR)
Specifications

Brand HYUNDAI
Model L90D+
Cabinet Color Silver
Display
Panel a-si TFT/PVA LCD
Screen Size 19"
Display Type SXGA
Maximum Resolution 1280x1024
Recommended Resolution 1280x1024
Viewing Angle 150°(H) / 135°(V)
Pixel Pitch 0.294mm
Display Colours 16.7 Million
Brightness 300 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio 700:1
Response Time 8ms
Horizontal Fresh Rate 31kHz ~ 80 kHz
Vertical Fresh Rate 56 ~ 75 Hz
Connectivity
Input Video Compatibility R.G.B Analog, Digital Signal
D-Sub 1
DVI 1
Power
Power Supply 100 - 240 V AC
Power Consumption 45W(Max)
Convenience
User Controls

Analog:

Brightness,Contrast, H/V-Position, Clock phase, Color Control, Language, Miscellaneous, Auto color Auto Adjustment, Audio

Digital:

Brightness,Contrast, Language, Miscellaneous, AUDIO, INPUT SELECT

Regulatory Approvals cULus, TUV-GS, SEMKO, FCC Class B, CE,EN55022-B, VCCI

Built in Speakers Built-in 2x 2w speakers
Dimensions
Dimensions (W×H×D) 16.3" x 17.1 x 7.9"
Weight 12.3 lbs
Warranty
Manufacturer Warranty 3-year warranty

(I finally realized my 22 Viewsonic is never coming home, can't find a part! Patti finally realized what I've been telling her for years, it's easier to work on a big monitor!":O}(( more fun to play as well..)).

So Patti is getting my 19" Viewsonic and I'm moving on to the above, just mentioned in passing...":O}

Aidan's comments here and else where (Search "TFT" and "DVI-D" largely guided my choice within my already stretched budget. Many thanks to all who contributed to this and past threads on this subject!
Attached Thumbnails
Recommend me a monitor-hyundia-l90d.jpg  
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 15th August, 2005 at 03:06 PM.
Old 15th August, 2005, 03:26 PM
Member/Contributer

A hyundai I see, isn't their motto a car first badge second? Thats an odd looking car

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 15th August, 2005, 03:43 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

But it gets good mileage!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 15th August, 2005, 04:04 PM
Steve Jobs

lol hardly a brand second. They were so embarassed by their own reputation that they had to put a big "T" badge on the two door V6 Hyundai Tiburon instead of the Hyundai badge just so that people wouldn't look at the badge and think it's a piece of crap on sight.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 15th August, 2005, 04:29 PM
Member/Contributer

God bless their pacific rim hearts and their windscreen wipers you turn on every time you think you're indicating

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah