AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd July, 2005, 02:19 AM

Very Cheap Motherboard Combo/Bundle

Hey guys! I'm looking for a really cheap motherboard cpu, and memory bundle. Recently my second computer died or something, so I sort of had to throw it out. I didn't worry about it too much though, because it was pretty dated by today's standards. So now I have a nice new case, two newer hard drives, cd drives, Win XP Home, and the remaining internal PCI cards from the previous machine. I'm in college, and I really want to pinch pennies on this computer. This one will be the last that I build for awhile. I need to give the wallet a break!!!!! I'm sure you understand that. So basically I'm up for anything that will work. I don't care if it's an onboard VIA C3, GigaPro, Intel, or AMD. Does anyone know where to find such a cheap piece of hardware?

BTW I saw one on www.surpluscomputers.com with an 800mhz GigaPro that seemed reasonable, but that product seems to be currently unavailable.

Respectfully,
Carl
Old 22nd July, 2005, 03:12 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

How's this?

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4454956

$90 for a sempron and mobo.
Old 22nd July, 2005, 04:04 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, Just_tweak_it!

SteveI found a good deal. The catch is that Outpost.com rates poorly at http://www.resellerratings.com . I always see about an etailer's reputation at ResellerRatings before sending it ANY money.

Why not see if a good bundle of mainboard plus processor(AFAIK, there are very few Memory+Mainboard+CPU bundles) can be found at http://www.pricewatch.com ? Check the biz's rep at ResellerRatings.com before sending ten cents. The cheapest deal found at Pricewatch to often means paying in blood for those few bucks saved, btw.
Old 22nd July, 2005, 04:09 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Really?
They are the online division of Frye's.
I'm surprised. They are a heck of a lot better than most.... In fact, I think they are one of the best. You just have to know how to deal with them.

They are the ONLY store I have ever seen that will advertize a loss leader, and honor the price when they are out of stock... EVER. I bought 4 gigs of HyperX that way on sale. It took them 3 weeks to deliver it since I ordered, even though it was showing up as out of stock (when I pestered them, they even told me how many people were in front of me). Later, I had no problem getting a refund on an item that was defective. One of the pairs would not perform at the "advertized" timings. No hassle.
Old 22nd July, 2005, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
How's this?

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4454956

$90 for a sempron and mobo.

I'd like to spend even less. Once I add in a decent amount of memory, the price will surely inflate. Actually I was thinking something more basic, and trying to stay in the $60-$70 range.
Old 22nd July, 2005, 04:42 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Anything lower than that...
You really have to look around classifieds for old HW.
Old 26th July, 2005, 02:59 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

I think you need to think this through Just_Tweak_It because if you need a basic pc then your best bet is a sempron or a nice Celeron D, these processors are fantastic value for money and are really good overclockers, stay off the beer for a while and save up the dollars so you can get something nice.
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!