AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th July, 2005, 08:54 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

so its a happy medium between performance and noise.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th July, 2005, 08:55 PM

Can I ask...I've never really seen the point in Raptors. Sure, their fast, but does it matter if your game loads up in 1 minute or 40 seconds?
And for the sake of money, it just makes a lot more sense to buy normal 7200rpm drives.
They are small, ludicrously expensive, and for what? Something loading up a bit quicker.
Am I missing something?
Old 30th July, 2005, 09:31 PM
Member/Contributer

The fact is they were fast when they came out, with your average drive managing around 40mb/s or so, and though expensive, they were still a lot cheaper than a SCSI solution so made sense for midrange server/workstations

But the fact is now that 7200rpm drives have progressed to the point where there is little to choose between them

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st July, 2005, 09:21 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
The fact is they were fast when they came out, with your average drive managing around 40mb/s or so, and though expensive, they were still a lot cheaper than a SCSI solution so made sense for midrange server/workstations
They never made sense for a midrange server - SCSI drives completely wiped the floor with them under the multi-user loading on a midrange server. Low-end servers fitted the Raptors well. The Raptors are tuned for desktop usage, rather than server usage. In terms of desktop usage, they're still one of the fastest drives, which is quite impressive given how long they've been out.
Old 31st July, 2005, 12:59 PM
Member/Contributer

Oh your just being picky as to what midrange would be

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 31st July, 2005, 05:45 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorfish
will the sata controllers on my A8N-SLi support NCQ?
The nForce4 chipset should support NCQ, but you have to use the nVidia SATA IDE drivers if my understanding is correct.
Old 31st July, 2005, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
The nForce4 chipset should support NCQ, but you have to use the nVidia SATA IDE drivers if my understanding is correct.
Great! thanks Áedán. ill have a go, im pretty sure ive installed the drivers.
Old 2nd August, 2005, 06:14 PM

Got the new drive in, everythings up and running so im dead, pleased! Amazing how much quiter it is than my Raptor! and 160GB of goodness waiting to be filled!
Old 2nd August, 2005, 06:21 PM
AOA Staff

Does it seem almost as fast as the Raptor?
Old 2nd August, 2005, 07:04 PM

Not sure yet, but i installed sim city 4 on it straight away as i wanted the game installed but didnt want to waste space one the raptor and it installed really quickly and loads up quite fast too, whats the best software for findout how quick a drive is, and also how to enable NCQ?
Old 2nd August, 2005, 07:23 PM

edit, just found out how to enable NCQ, you have to do it in the device manger under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller and then nVidia CK804 ADMA in the setting you can enable NCQ. Using winows speed test:

Raptor
Burst Speed = 98.8
Sustained Speed = 62.2

Maxtor
Burst Speed = 127.4
Sustained Speed = 57.4
Old 3rd August, 2005, 01:42 AM
Steve Jobs

Very interesting how it compares with the raptor. The bigger 10s with the 16MB cache would be even better too. These drives just beg to be RAIDed.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 3rd August, 2005, 03:50 AM

Wow would you look at that:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-300gb-...QQcmdZViewItem

Pretty cheap at the moment, eh? There were others for around the same price too.
Check out eBay, you can get some great deals for pretty much everthing.
Old 3rd August, 2005, 11:37 AM

Loving it, been moving my MP3s over from the raptor to the maxtor and its rapid!

Quick picture for you...
Attached Thumbnails
New Hard Drive.-pict0043.jpg  
Old 3rd August, 2005, 11:48 AM
Steve Jobs

The CCFL obviously makes it go faster.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 3rd August, 2005, 11:50 AM

LOL

just realized how blurred that picture is!
Old 8th August, 2005, 01:44 PM

These drives are so good, ive just ordered another to put in a Raid 0 setup. Im gonna use the raptor to run my OS and the two maxtors in Raid 0 for the games.
Old 12th August, 2005, 03:44 PM

Well here all the drives setup in Raid, i dunno but there something pretty about three drives all stacked up like that.
Attached Thumbnails
New Hard Drive.-pict0007.jpg  
Old 12th August, 2005, 03:48 PM
Steve Jobs

As Paris Hilton would say, "That's Hot"

I finally ordered a second Maxtor 10 300GB 16MB cache to do that RAID array. I promised myself I would keep the first Maxtor 10 clean until I got the second disk, but somehow a copy of Vista found its way on there :\ Guess its time to wipe it.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 12th August, 2005, 04:05 PM

What raid you gonna use 0,0+1, 1 and so on? It is so fast wipes the floor with the raptor and in sisoftsandra is only 10mb/s slower than a 2 x raptors in raid yet £50 cheaper, thats paying for my audigy 2