AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th August, 2005, 04:12 PM
Steve Jobs

SATA RAID 0 once I get the second disk. Im interested to see how a total of 32Mb of cache effects things .

Never had my own RAID array before so I am interested in how it does. Its going to be alot of disk space too. im still using a 60GB and a 30GB at the moment, and almost full, so 600GB will be a nice step up. I think I will make them my only hard disks.

By the way, you can turn the speed down on them, an make them completely silent using the maxtor utils. There is also a program somewhere that ties HDD speed and noise to the current CPU usage, meaning at idle, the HDD spins slowly, and under load the HDDs peak.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th August, 2005, 04:26 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

I heard that on maxtors there is a utility call AAM which reduces the noise of the hard sisks, but to be honest Dsio, i dont think you will need to use it, my to discs are silent!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th August, 2005, 04:32 PM
Steve Jobs

Yea, but its always nice to have anyway. I cant really say how loud it is because whenever I have used the 300 it has been with heaps of fans and a pair of Maxtor 9s in the case along with a raptor 36 sometimes.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 12th August, 2005, 04:37 PM

Dump that raptor, im seriously thinking about selling mine on ebay and buying a 300GB maxtor 10 to set up a massive Raid 5 array on an XFX revo64.
Old 12th August, 2005, 04:41 PM
Steve Jobs

the 16MB cache is very enticing

The raptor is already out of service. Its sitting in the linux box now folding, apacheing and doing little else. Sits in the garage where it can keep the roaches awake at night instead of me.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 12th August, 2005, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
Sits in the garage where it can keep the roaches awake at night instead of me.

so true, so true!
Old 12th August, 2005, 04:58 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

As i know, the small Raptors (wd36 -> 36 GB) are not as fast as bigger brother (wd74 -> 74 GB) and a Raid 0 setup with WD74 is still faster than any other as I see in reviews and benchmarks (I don't include here SATA II disks because I don't have enough info)..so...if we talk about speed...WD74 is no dead at all..but if we look at capacity, than yes...they are overwhelmed
For me a killer rig would still have a Raid 0 setup with WD74 Raptors.
Old 12th August, 2005, 05:06 PM
Steve Jobs

I really dont know. The 16MB cache X 2 in RAID 0 might have a bigger effect than you think.

8MB cache Maxtor 10s perform on about a level field with the raptors in many areas, losing in some cases, winning in some cases. The 16MB cache should be a smoother hard disk for general use, while the Raptor would be better in continuous use.

The 16MB models in RAID 0 are considered on par, and sometimes faster than raptors. And they dont keep you up at night. People who see the specs and have not heard the noise think they can handle it, but its the grating painfull tone of the thing that drives you crazy.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 12th August, 2005, 05:08 PM

I agree, as most top spec gaming PC include WD Raptors, but seriuosly speed isnt everything! And personally owning a WD raptor i could even begin to imagine the damage done to my insanity by two WD raptors in Raid, the noise would be unberable! you ask anyone who has a raptor and they will complain about the noise they produce! Ill stick to my maxtors thankyou.
Old 12th August, 2005, 05:16 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

Lol...than ask Gizmo how does he resist with his SCSI Raid
Honnestly...I stayed in a room with a computer with 7-8 SCSI hdds...and in a few hours I didn't even hear them....but I must admit..if that computer would get into my room at home I'd throw it off the window
Old 12th August, 2005, 05:22 PM

ill take a sound recording of my raptor loading a game and youll see what me and dsio are on about!
Old 13th August, 2005, 02:11 PM

Well ive been running ATTO disk for a while and my conclusion is the the maxtors in raid are rapid, im getting rid of the raptor to fund a 300GB maxtor 10
Old 13th August, 2005, 03:40 PM
Steve Jobs

My next 300 is in the mail Soon goodbye 60GB wrongness, and hello 600GB RAID 0 rightness !!!
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 13th August, 2005, 04:38 PM
Member/Contributer

I personally wouldn't go for such a large, none redundant RAID array. For RAID 0 you want speed, so thats maybe a hundred gigs or so for apps, os and maybe encoding/compression operations, 600GB is the sort of space you want for media and documents you are going to keep, and doubling the chance of failure and loss with that amount of data would keep me awake at night (and I'm a heavy sleeper)

I guess thats one of the good things about the RAID features on intel 9XX chipsets, offering redundant storage for some of the space only

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 13th August, 2005, 05:05 PM

hence why i want to setup a raid 3 array as soon as i get a replacement for the raptor.
Old 14th August, 2005, 03:12 AM
Steve Jobs

Does not bother me in the slightest. Of that 600GB I only need to keep about 50GB, the rest is all expendable media. It is a very reliable disk, so I have no issues with it.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 14th August, 2005, 01:33 PM

your a braver man than me!
Old 14th August, 2005, 02:45 PM
Steve Jobs

I dont want to back up junk, which is what collects on a big hard drive. I have at any given time 30-50GB of vital stuff that I back up regularly. Everything other than that is family DVDs that are kept for ease of editing, game demos, junk, junk, and more junk, stuff that I download, just so I can upload it to the files section, and pointless thousands of photos of my cat doing things that my sisters consider "cute".

I can lose all that junk and call it a spring clean with no regrets. As long as the vital stuff that I cannot replace or stand to lose is not gone. Hence I backup everything that is NEEDED, not what is not.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 14th August, 2005, 04:14 PM
Member/Contributer

I suppose with a fast net connection it ain't too bad, but if I lost the hundreds of gigs of stuff I had I'd be a tad miffed

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 14th August, 2005, 04:35 PM
Steve Jobs

It is not something that will happen under normal circumstances. Seriously, a hard drive failure these days is not a common event. I have 9 odd maxtors here and a couple of seagates that have been in service for 5-12 years and I have only had one failure, from a bad power supply.

A newish top end hard disk with a high reputation crashing like that just doesn't happen these days, so if I was struck by it, I would accept it and move on.

And yea, with 12Mbit and 40GB per month the amount of crap I donwload is disgusting. I downloaded the entire collection of 1080i high definition trailers off the Microsoft WMV-HD site just for the hell of it. Thats how bored I get.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah