AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd August, 2005, 04:44 PM

Building new computer need advice. ;)

I plan on ordering everything off of newegg (My last order went great came perfectly packaged and a day early!) and here is what I have so far.
Im concerned mostly about the EPoX 9NDA3+ the problems it has with memory at 1t. I also have a 6800 and I heard it blocks the sata ports. If someone has this configuration already or close to it and can verify it works great that would be splendid. Other then that I need suggestions on a better motherboard that is good for overclocking and is stable. It has to be an agp motherboard as I'm not ready to upgrade my vid card just yet.
Here it goes (will list current prices).

Cpu-AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail $265 wanting to overclock but I read a higher multi would give more luck and the newer venices weren't overclocking as well as the older steppings. ( Want as much as I can get but 2.7 is good enough for me if I can get that.)

Power Supply-ASPIRE ATX-AS520W BLACK ATX 520W Power Supply 115/230 V CB IEC 950/ TUV EN 60950/ UL 1950/ CSA 950 - Retail $55 have read this is a good powersupply. Is there another powersupply of better quality and matching price?

Memory-OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Platinum System Memory - Retail 269.95
I went with 2 gigs for the added performance.
Cas Latency: 2
Heat Spreader: Yes
Manufacturer Warranty: Lifetime
Timing: 2-3-2-5
Voltage: 2.6V

There is also the more expensive OCZ Titanium 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Titanium Mirrored Copper Heatspreader Model OCZ4002048ELDCTE-K - Retail $325

Why so much more expensive? Titanium? There would not be much difference in performance would there?

A 2t command is only for 4 dimms correct?

Harddrive-Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200JD 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive -OEM $163.00 wanted a sata drive and want something fast , however much faster cant fit into my budget. Thought it was a good harddrive for the price. I've had luck with Western Digital in the past.

Vid card - Nvidia 6800 gt - already got it

Motherboard-EPoX 9NDA3+ $98

Case-COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum/Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail $49.99
want a good case with good airflow thats not to expensive and does not come with a power supply. If you know something better please recommend.
I wanted the antec server case FULL tower. it does come with a power supply though and would just be wasted money.

Cooling- Thermaltake A2018 120mm 1 Ball 1 Sleeve Blue LED Light Case Cooling Fan -Retail $14.99 Thermaltake CL-P0114 120mm Cooling Fan/Heatsink - Retail $49.99 any suggestions on cooling would be great as well. I dont want alot of noise but if its gonna keep the temperatures down I dont really mind.
Arctic Silver Ceramique Thermal Compound - OEM $5.99 - Of course! there was this and the artic silver 5 I dont know the difference. Is there a big difference?

Thank you all for reviewing this and for your advice.
Old 3rd August, 2005, 08:32 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceOff
Memory-OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Platinum System Memory - Retail 269.95
I went with 2 gigs for the added performance.

There is also the more expensive OCZ Titanium 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Titanium Mirrored Copper Heatspreader Model OCZ4002048ELDCTE-K - Retail $325

Why so much more expensive? Titanium? There would not be much difference in performance would there?
The Titanium is more expensive because you can use it also at 3 Volts +- 5% without invalidating the warranty. With the Platinum you're allowed to up the voltage to only 2.8 Volts without invalidating the lifetime warranty.
You might check the Platinum rev. 2. You might like it.
Good luck