AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th August, 2005, 10:09 PM

Building a CHEAP computer.

Hey Guys,

A friend of mine wants me to build him a computer a step or two above a e-mail box, and it's been a while since I have had to build anything on this limited a budget. All the computer needs to be able to do is word process, play Halo, UT 2005, and a couple of other games of that vain.

Does anyone have any ideas about what Mobo, graphics card, and processor would be best for this project? Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

DK.

Main Rig: - Down
Proc: P4 2.66 Ghz Mobo: MSI MS-6701 RAM: 768 Mb DDR333 Video Card: GeForce4 Ti 4200 OS: Windows XP SP2 / Mandrake Linux 9.0
Laptop:
Proc: P4 3.06 Ghz RAM: 1280 Mb DDR400 Video Card: ATI Radion Mobility 9000 OS: Windows XP SP2

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th August, 2005, 11:12 PM
Member/Contributer

Do you mean UT2004? because if you mean the not yet released 2007 then thats a top end system you'll need

If you mean 2004 then..

CPU AMD Sempron 2600+ S754
Motherboard DFI LANPARTY UT nF3 250Gb Socket 754
Graphics Card Leadtek Geforce 6800LE A400LE or if your budgets really tight the Gigabyte 6200A

The motherboard isn't the cheapest you can get, but it will get you a lot more overclocking from the sempron which I believe makes it worth it

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd August, 2005, 05:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to Skiracing108

how cheap???? i just picked out parts for a guy for about $985 that absolutly kicks major arse!!!!
evga 7800gtx CORE 498mhz MEM 1.29ghz
Maxtor 250gig hardrive
soundblaster-audigy 2z's
Klipsch pro media 5:1 surround sound
Thermaltake 500w psu
AOA Team fah
Old 23rd August, 2005, 07:40 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

His reccomended combo is like 250 USD (checked prices on newegg) and I'm quite sure if it's overclocked will do what's supposed to do. Graham gave you a very good advice!
Old 23rd August, 2005, 10:32 PM

How about posting an absolute amount of money he or she can afford to spend. This will help in providing suggestions to get the most for the less.
Dual Channel
AMD 4800 64 Venice Processor
(4) Sata Seagate 160 gig Drives (raid array)
(1) Maxtor External 120 gig USB 2.0
SoundBlaster X-fi Platinum
Bose Desktop companions with Sub Woofer
Koolance PC3 Case (all hardware water/gylcol cooled)
Temps: Unloaded 93 (F) Loaded 101 (F)
Samsung Cd-R/RW 52x24x52
Memorex DVD-R/RW 8X
WinXP SP2
Old 23rd August, 2005, 10:50 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalKnight
A friend of mine wants me to build him a computer a step or two above a e-mail box, and it's been a while since I have had to build anything on this limited a budget. All the computer needs to be able to do is word process, play Halo, UT 2005, and a couple of other games of that vain.
It also depends on what you mean by "build him a computer". If your friend absolutely demands that you hand-pick the components and assemble it to his specification, then he must expect to pay a premium.

Also shop around the likes of newegg in the US and ebuyer, dabs et al in several countries for a complete system. It's possible to get a complete system for the price of a high-end motherboard, albeit with integrated graphics and sound. Though not always. There are some deals if you look for them.

Not all that long ago I found a store-display model PC of some unknown brand that had a 2GHz P4 and ATi radeon 9000 series graphics card. This was selling in PC World, a UK chain not noted for its fairness of pricing. It was going for £350 with monitor...
Old 23rd August, 2005, 10:52 PM
AOA Staff

If he needs a full system, I'd suggest looking at a Dell.
Old 23rd August, 2005, 11:54 PM

Dell, while cheap on cost...is cheap period. We all know they like their passive cooling, skimp on the GPU and RAM to save money as well.
Your better off going with a lower end Semperon system, mushkin RAM (cheap but quality, and decent for O'cing) or possibly, like stated above a mobo/cpu
or mobo/cpu combo. When last I check newegg had a 754 board and a 5750pci-e combo at a reasonable price.

Give us an idea at what amount were looking at here before I start really thinking about this.
Old 24th August, 2005, 12:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to Exile69 Send a message via MSN to Exile69

Isn't a 6200 better than a pcx 5750? My mate has a 5750 and it sucks major arse. Graham had some good advice but give us a price so we can give our proper input.

AOA Team fah

Abit NF-M2 | XFX 8600GT | AM2 X2 3800+ | 2Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 | Aspire X-QPack | 250Gb Western Digital | Creative X-Fi + Logitech X530 5.1
Old 24th August, 2005, 01:06 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131535

I'm just posting ideas.....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813186067