AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd August, 2005, 05:03 AM

Burning in RAM

Well, after making an incorrect choice for RAM, I think I've got things straight and I've ordered a set of TCCD...should be here in a few days...just a blip on the pathway to world domination through OCing.

However, I've seen some remarks about burning in RAM when it is new. Could someone explain this to me?

Why do it?
What is happening to the RAM?
What is gained by doing it?
-and-
How do I do it!

Thanks much!
Old 23rd August, 2005, 05:09 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

find the max for the timings you want...adjust volts to get the FSB you are looking for, or as close to it as you can get...run memtest for a few months, where it errors maybe 2-3 times and hour, and when the errors disappear(which they will), decrease volts. Once you're back to default voltage at the higher speed, repeat.

Of course, you need a spare rig to do this right. unless you buy direct-from-samsung mem, it's already been burnt-in.

Old 25th August, 2005, 03:10 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

In the past, "burning in" meant running the device at max load and max power for a period, to be sure that it was OK to sell the device. You don't want your product to be DOA when the customer switches it on.

In the universe of overclocking, it's said by some that burning in CPU's, RAM or what have you by exceeding the factory recommended voltage values pushes the atoms of the circuits into a better alignment for higher performance. Most Electrical Engineers say that this is hokum. All the same, it seems to help many OCer's attain their goals.

Interesting, I didn't know that you can buy RAM directly from Samsung. I've used SEC DIMMs in the past, and liked them a lot. "SEC" is--or was-- printed on the Mem chips when Samsung makes the chips and the PCB board that make up memory modules. "Samsung" on the chips indicates Samsung chips "on thirds," aka the board that mounts the chips is made by who knows.

It's said that the manufacturing quality of the boards is just as important as what chips are on them.