AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th August, 2005, 11:08 PM

New hard drive problem

I recently purchased a Seagate Barracuda 300gb hard drive, a second hard drive for my PC. I connected it up to my PC earlier, it wouldn't detect it.
I ensured the jumper was connected properly, 2nd set of pins from left, and my PC still failed to detect it, even after using CMOS and the IDE Auto-Detect.
User devilmyarse then gave me a couple more pointers, after I explained my strange setup of my DVD drives being primary and secondary masters to my hard drives, both of which slaves obviously.
When I readjusted the the orientation of the drives, I put all hard drives on one IDE cable, and all optical drives on another IDE cable, my computer failed to boot.
Could anyone please help me out? I would be very grateful.
Cheers
Old 25th August, 2005, 11:11 PM

The drive may be to large to be recognized as a whole by your operating system. TO further help you, you will need to post your system specs, operating system and version, bios version, etc. Try and be complete. Without this information, no one will be able to really provide you with help other than guessing.
Dual Channel
AMD 4800 64 Venice Processor
(4) Sata Seagate 160 gig Drives (raid array)
(1) Maxtor External 120 gig USB 2.0
SoundBlaster X-fi Platinum
Bose Desktop companions with Sub Woofer
Koolance PC3 Case (all hardware water/gylcol cooled)
Temps: Unloaded 93 (F) Loaded 101 (F)
Samsung Cd-R/RW 52x24x52
Memorex DVD-R/RW 8X
WinXP SP2
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th August, 2005, 11:13 PM

Ive already suggested to check that the molex is functioning correctly, he's swapped them round and still get's same problem, the drive isn't auto-detecting at all. IDE cable is connected right. It's a medion emachine purchased last year-ish that's all i know about the machine.

He's been talked through the autodetecting procedure in BIOS and nothing is happening, detecting the other drives, but not this new one.

I'll suggest him to download everest.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 2.4Ghz
2x 2GB OCZ Hiper 1066mhz
ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB
Samsung Syncmaster 15"

Apple Macbook Pro
15'' Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz
X1600 Mobility Radeon
Boot camp Mac os X/Vista

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th August, 2005, 09:20 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

Verify the jumpers on your harddisks or optical drives. On the same cable one must be master, other slave. If it doesn't work this way...some drives like Cable Select (CS).
Old 26th August, 2005, 04:12 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoinar
Verify the jumpers on your harddisks or optical drives. On the same cable one must be master, other slave. If it doesn't work this way...some drives like Cable Select (CS).

and that the master is at the end of the cable, and the blue/red connector (if there is one) is pluggged into the mobo ...
Old 1st September, 2005, 05:45 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA's Forums, Samgasm!

A DDO(Direct Disk Overlay) file from the HDD's manufacturer may be necessary, I don't think that XP can handle a 300 Gb hard drive on its own. Pardon me for suggesting that at least one hard drive should be the Primary Master.