AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th August, 2005, 09:46 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

SLIx16

http://www.clubic.com/photo/0000010400108930.jpg
Nvidia has updated its Nforce4 SLI chipset with a new 'SLIx16' model targeted at enthusiasts. Like the original chipset, SLIx16 allows you to run two PCI-E graphics cards in SLI configuration, but it also lets you run them with 16 PCI-E lanes each, rather than eight.

This is quite a technical achievement for Nvidia. It means that the total number of PCI-E lines in the chipset has almost doubled, so a colossal amount of information will be passed through it.

The lanes are devided between the chipset's two chips, with 16 lanes in the SPP chip with a further 16 in the MCP chip. This allows one 16x graphics-only slot, and another 16x PCI-E slot that can be used for any PCI-E devices.

There are also a further four PCI-E lanes in the Intel version's SPP for 1x PCI-E slots, and another two lanes in the AMD version's SPP. Meanwhile, the MCP will also be able to control five PCI slots, ten USB 2 ports, a 7.1 audio chip, four EIDE drives annd four S-ATA II drives.

This prompted the question of whether or not you could split the huge number of PCI-E lanes into four slots for a quad system. However, Nvidia told us that unfortunately, this wouldn't be possible. Ofcourse, having 16x SLI over 8x SLI will make about as much difference as me getting a 10mhz raise in processor speed, but at least you can be sure there won't be any bottlenecks in the future.

Peace out, Got EpOx
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th August, 2005, 09:59 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got EpOx
This is quite a technical achievement for Nvidia. It means that the total number of PCI-E lines in the chipset has almost doubled, so a colossal amount of information will be passed through it.

The lanes are devided between the chipset's two chips, with 16 lanes in the SPP chip with a further 16 in the MCP chip. This allows one 16x graphics-only slot, and another 16x PCI-E slot that can be used for any PCI-E devices.
Not quite the technical acheivement you might think. The main reason why they haven't done this before is that a single chip solution doesn't have enough physical connectors on the bottom of the chip itself! Hence, the requirement for two chips is explained!

Incidently, the grid array used on the chips can handle 900 connections. Obviously, if you have to fit in another 64 or so pins, it gets a little tight!
Old 28th August, 2005, 10:44 PM
Team 45 Folder

Yeah i suppose it would get a little cramped.
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th August, 2005, 11:24 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I admit that I don't understand this. Are these new PCB's on the mainboard, or part of the graphics cards? Or do they ride on the "bridge" that's needed to connect two X-16 vidcards in this newfangled type of SLI?
Old 31st August, 2005, 02:11 AM

I could almost swear I read about MSI or perhaps another manufacture making a pro board in which you could add a Gigabyte 3D1 (for those who dont know, a single card, dual GPU solution either 6600gt and soon to be 6800gt) and you could also add a second card either SLI or 3D1, raising the count to 3 or 4 GPUs.

I'm going to dig around and see what I can find, but I almost know for a fact I was seeing production information about a mobo as such.
Old 31st August, 2005, 02:50 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters
I admit that I don't understand this. Are these new PCB's on the mainboard, or part of the graphics cards? Or do they ride on the "bridge" that's needed to connect two X-16 vidcards in this newfangled type of SLI?
new mainboard..Hypertransport connects between the chipsets, two give each chipset it's own 16x slot(yes, just two nforce4 chipsets, in essence)...or...maybe say a 16x slot for video, and one for a physics card...

And yes, there will be boards that feature a third "southbridge" chip, although only because they are trying to get old stock out the doors.

the added lanes, and becasue of the way they are connected, this also allows for communication between the two cards via the pci-e bus, and having enough room for say....cross communication with a pci physics card?

lol

Again..someone told me there'd never be 2 chipsets on a standard desktop offering... .....

Old 31st August, 2005, 12:05 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Nvidia just don't look like slowing down. But think about it logically, apart from movie producers, who is really going to need a card this fast? It may just prove useful if you want to run Doom 3, half life 2, Far cry and make a home movie AT THE SAME TIME! Seriously, most people aren't going to need technology like this for years. It's still a good achievement though.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Old 31st August, 2005, 07:05 PM
Team 45 Folder

Yeah quite an achievement i can see some people putting this new fangled technology to good use.
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
AOA Folding @Home