AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd February, 2002, 02:41 AM

What CDRW ?

As ive run out of space to back up all my data ive decidedto get a CDRW..

I wont be burning allot of disks so speed isnt so important.

I know I should get a burnproof drive.

Does anybody have any recomendations as there seem to be hundreds of diferent drives avalable and ive no idea what im looking for.

Id also like it to read Cds quietly as my DVDrom is very noisy with CDs (fine with DVDs).

I dont want to spend too much either.

And what about software..is there some free stuff that will be Ok or should I buy something ?

Thanks allot.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd February, 2002, 02:43 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I totally love my PleXWriter 16/10/40A made by Plextor. I use the software that came with. You can format a CDRw disk to act as a Hard drive and drag and drop. Works across my LAN as well.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 23rd February, 2002 at 02:49 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd February, 2002, 02:47 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel ~
I totally love my PleXWriter 16/10/40A made by Plextor.
Ditto. I have the same exact model. Excellent reliability. Also, the price is now about half from last year. You could look for the 12x version to save a few bucks, or spend a little more for the 24x or 32x. BTW, the 16x models are the fastest ones capable of its rated speed edge to edge. Faster models go slower at first, and ramp up speed. I can't remember the correct terms tho.
Old 23rd February, 2002, 03:15 AM

Ive found a few reasonablly priced drives.

I didnt find any Plextors that where cheap enough..Ive only found 24speeds for around £100 and I dont want to spend too much.

I found a phylips burn proof 16x with Nero software for £60 + postage.

That sounds like an Ok deal.

What about the CDRs themselves ?

Should I buy allot in bulk ?
Or a few diferent makes to find the best ?
Will no brand cheap ones be no good ?
Should I buy the same brand disks as my drive ?

Old 23rd February, 2002, 03:23 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

To be honest I really dont have enough experience buying or using CDRs as I use mine as a Zip file and use CDRWs.

The reason I gave my specific model is that the quality and reliability " seems" to vary from model to model with all the manufactures.

Perhaps this is just my impression from reading in forums and reviews. I spent more than I wanted to to avoid some of the horror stories I was reading last year.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 23rd February, 2002 at 03:27 AM.
Old 23rd February, 2002, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel ~
To be honest I really dont have enough experience buying or using CDRs as I use mine as a Zip file and use CDRWs.

The reason I gave my specific model is that the quality and reliability " seems" to vary from model to model with all the manufactures.

Perhaps this is just my impression from reading in forums and reviews. I spent more than I wanted to to avoid some of the horror stories I was reading last year.
Ive also read some bad storys about poor quality drives.

Although Id like to spend the extra on something good I just cant afford to.

Ill have an ask at retailers forums and see if anybody has bought the drives im interested in.

Im having to buy a CDRW as the hard drive im currently using as my backup/MP3 drive is going in a computer for my dad...I thought a CDRW would be cheaper than another hard drive...it looks like its going to be about the same cost and will be slightly more usefull.

Thanks for the help and the fast replys.

Old 23rd February, 2002, 03:54 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Brands on the CDRs/CDRWs don't have to match the brand of the drive.

I've had only great experience with Fuji 24x CDRs (made in Japan).

Also, if you are planning a lot of backups. CDRWs are the way to go. Stock up and use 'em like floppies. Make sure you get 10x. Most on the market are 4x. The 10x version seem to be getting more common and the price should start dropping as well.

I personally stock up every time there is a good sale. I know I will use them all eventually.

Back to the drives themselves. Be careful where you get advice. Many with burners are focusing on different capabilities of the drives that may, or may not apply to you, such as specific capabilities to read and copy specific CD-ROMs that are copy protected, for example. If that's what you need, you can find information if you try hard enough. If you want reliable, the plextors are the primo name on the market for quality and reliability.
Old 23rd February, 2002, 05:30 AM
AOA Staff

if you can find a Lite-on 12x10x32 burnproof, buy it!! they are killer drives and can be had for as little as $65usd :-D
Old 23rd February, 2002, 06:00 AM
Banned

Burn proof or Justlink are critical nowadays. They included this feature on drives starting at 12x write (never seen a 8x version). Lite On is okay, but TDK would be the better of the "cheaper" drives. Plextor is #1 IMHO, love my 24x Plexwriter , everything else is really a crap shoot, but less of one if it says burnproof or something like that one the box or in the description.
Old 23rd February, 2002, 07:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to CeleryMan Send a message via Yahoo to CeleryMan

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI
CDRWs are the way to go..............If you want reliable, the plextors are the primo name on the market for quality and reliability.
Academy award winning statements. It all depends on what you're doing. CD-RWs are definatley the way to go for backup purposes. You can erase and rewrite on them up to like 650 times. CDR? Well, if you mess up, your done. Throw it away. Secondly, I personally own a Plextor Plexwriter 24x 10x 40x. (24x CDR, 10x CDRW, and 40x CDROM read) This drive features Justlink II and BURNProof. THE BEST DRIVE I HAVE EVER USED!!! Punches out full CDs in 4 minutes. CDRWS in 8!! Comes with Adaptec Easy CD Creator 5 PE and DirectCD which is a drag/drop program like Danial said. You can get one now, I believe, for like $100 american. Very well worth it!! As far as media goes, get Memorex or Verbatim. THE BEST! Both CDR and RW.
Tear on your undesirable cry, the times that we've tried, and ended up making things worse than they were before, ever could have been or thought to be. Im moving on without you. Im moving on without my light, and no, I won't cry tonight..... - OBA
Old 23rd February, 2002, 08:57 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

And here I am with my PlexWriter PX-R412C... Ahh, the joys!
This drive cost me about £250 new, but that was a couple of years ago. The drive still works well, so I can't fault it. It doesn't use BURN-proof, mainly as BURN-proof came out a couple of years after it (!), but I've never had a problem with underruns

AidanII
Old 23rd February, 2002, 08:15 PM

Ive decided to get a pleator 20x10x40 in the end.

I figured that another £25 would be worth having a drive I know will be good.

One last wuestion..

Will the drive come with its own software or will I have to buy some from elsewhere.

This is where im buying from

https://www.komplett.co.uk/k/k.asp?a...D=&GrpID=&s=sr

This is what it says on the plextor site
http://www.plextor.com/english/products/24_10_40A.html

Is "Power Rec 3" plextor's own software ?

Thanks

Old 23rd February, 2002, 09:05 PM

I found the same drive was cheaper at www.ebuyer.com and it comes with software so im all sorted.

Ill let you know how I get on once it arrives.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 23rd February, 2002, 09:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to CeleryMan Send a message via Yahoo to CeleryMan

Ahhh..........good choice my friend. No you wont have to buy any software. Everything you need is in the box when you get the drive. When i got my 241040 i recieved warranty info, a THICK@$$ manual, one 24x CDR, a 10x RW, and all the software on a disc. The disc contains documentation, drivers (if necassary), Adaptec Easy CD Creator 5 LE, Adaptec DirectCD (turns a blank CDR/RW into a small hard drive, or a huge floppy, however you want to look at it ), Plextor Manager, and some other little doohicky accessory progs. By the way, if you are running Win XP, DO NOT INSTALL PLEXTOR MANAGER!!! All caps just like its printed on the box. Well, I tried it myself, and ended up having a format c: party!!

As a proud owner of a Plexwriter, I can tell you, you WILL be pleased!
Tear on your undesirable cry, the times that we've tried, and ended up making things worse than they were before, ever could have been or thought to be. Im moving on without you. Im moving on without my light, and no, I won't cry tonight..... - OBA
Old 23rd February, 2002, 11:09 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

How can anyone dream of any CDRW other than SCSI Plextor? Uh, uh--right. Back in the real world, a 16x10x40 Lite On is treating me well. Lite On's are all rebadged CDRW's. There was a time when Lite On rebadged Plextors. Think I was too late to get one. Sigh. The choice of CDROM can make a difference for burning. I recommend against Sony's.

The Made in Japan Fuji CDR blanks seem quite good. Dunno why folks like CDRW blanks. Slow as hell, and expensive.
Old 24th February, 2002, 12:39 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
Originally posted by surlyjoe
if you can find a Lite-on 12x10x32 burnproof, buy it!! they are killer drives and can be had for as little as $65usd :-D
I've been looking at a Lite-On 24X/10X/40X w/ burnproof(can get boxed retail for $93 shipped with software) to replace my ancient 4X/4X/24X HP burner(I can remember paying $200 for it too), what do you think surly?

One of my machines has a Lite-On 16X DVD player in it, and it has been a great drive for everything from watching DVDs to digital audio extraction, best of all it reads my old scratched up CDs that no other drive in the house will.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 24th February, 2002, 03:57 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
I've been looking at a Lite-On 24X/10X/40X w/ burnproof(can get boxed retail for $93 shipped with software) to replace my ancient 4X/4X/24X HP burner(I can remember paying $200 for it too), what do you think surly?

One of my machines has a Lite-On 16X DVD player in it, and it has been a great drive for everything from watching DVDs to digital audio extraction, best of all it reads my old scratched up CDs that no other drive in the house will.
My plextor replaced my old HP 2x2x6!! And I got an awesome deal. I only paid $280 for mine. It still works too. I must have burned over 1000 CDs with it. Is the lite-on price from newegg? I think they have a good deal.
Old 24th February, 2002, 04:07 AM

Actually it was at this place:

http://www.acompinc.com/pmoreinfo.asp?iid=633

But now it seems they only carry the Lite-Ons in 32X12X40 and 40X12X48 varieties. But still $108 plus shipping doesn't sound too bad for a 32X burner(which isn't much faster than the 24X drive really), I especially like the idea of the 12X RWing . . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 24th February, 2002, 04:20 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

newegg sells the lite-on 24x (OEM) for $85, and the 32x (retail) for $95. $8 for shipping.
Old 24th February, 2002, 05:19 AM

That's nice to know . . . .

AOA Team fah