AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th September, 2005, 09:53 PM

Windows xp oem

I know this isn't the right thread, but I couldn't find a better fitting one. I've seen a windows xp oem version. What does the oem mean? Can I buy it and install as usual or does it not come with a product key?
60GB OCZ Agility 3
1TB Seagate barracuda 7200
MSI 670 GTX OC
Corsair HX620
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th September, 2005, 09:58 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

OEM means it's aimed for OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturer). These guys can get a discount from MS on the cost of the OS by providing the support for the OS themselves. IE, If you hit a problem with the OS and it's OEM, Microsoft will not support you - all support is from the OEM.

In your case, that would mean yourself.
Old 4th September, 2005, 10:16 PM
AOA Staff

its meant to be sold with a machine but can be had legally when purchasing pretty much any hardware.
Old 4th September, 2005, 10:22 PM

Ok thanks, its for a friend who has seen it cheap, but I didnt know whether he'd be able to install it.
60GB OCZ Agility 3
1TB Seagate barracuda 7200
MSI 670 GTX OC
Corsair HX620
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th September, 2005, 04:34 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leekirlew
Ok thanks, its for a friend who has seen it cheap, but I didnt know whether he'd be able to install it.

Have a look here down near the bottom of the first post.

Its got all about it, and yes its legal to sell with something as little as a power cord

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 5th September, 2005, 02:58 PM

"Microsoft will not support you - all support is from the OEM.

In your case, that would mean yourself."

I bought an OEM version of XP SP1 off of newegg, everytime I've had a problem, granted thats next to nothing, I've been able to call up MS and get support.
Old 5th September, 2005, 06:01 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The last time I bought WinXP/SP2 it was sold as "retail." However, I think it was a OEM version. I guess there's "OEM," and "OEM." I'm confused, as usual.
Old 5th September, 2005, 10:14 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters
The last time I bought WinXP/SP2 it was sold as "retail." However, I think it was a OEM version. I guess there's "OEM," and "OEM." I'm confused, as usual.
OEM is 'supposed' to be sold with a non peripherial hardware component, and the seller is 'supposed' to do all the support for it.

In reality, you will usually find a $2 hardware component with your purchase, and those that don't are slowly being pushed out.

Almost all OEM's are completely useless when it comes to support. About the only one who does is Dell, and thats only while you are in warranty. So MS picks up the slack with that.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H