AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th September, 2005, 09:45 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

Seagate SCSI Disk Drives

I managed to get my grubby hands on 8 seagate SCSI hard disks, and am currently building a little server an want to use the disks in there but have no idea what i need to get them all working together.

I have 8

Seagate Barracuda ST39173LC
9.1 GB
7200RPM
SCSI Ultra 2

what do i need
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th September, 2005, 10:08 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

a scsi raid controller, perhaps? PCI slot card?
Old 8th September, 2005, 10:12 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Depends on what you want to do. I would build them into a RAID array, but you may not want to do that. In any case, at a bare minimum, you will need a SCSI Host Bus Adapter or SCSI RAID Controller (depending on whether you just want a bunch of independent drives or a real RAID). The Adaptec 2940-U2 SCSI HBA is a nice adapter for just general SCSI stuff and can be found for something like $15 or $20 on e-bay. If you want to do raid, then the AMI MegaRAID 1400 and 1500 controllers are very nice and can be had in the $50-$75 range. I have had very bad experience with the Adaptect RAID controllers (the AAA-131, for example) so I don't recommend them.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th September, 2005, 10:23 PM

Yeah ive found a few AMI SCSI controllers on ebay at the moment

how about this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MegaRAID-Expre...QQcmdZViewItem

how do you go about powering the drives as there appears to be no power connections.
Old 8th September, 2005, 10:30 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

The Express 500 is a good controller, although it is only single-channel. However, if you can get it for at or near that price, it wouldn't be a bad deal.
The drives are SCA or 'SCSI Configured Automagically'. They have a single 80-pin connector on the back that carries both power and signal. This was designed both for ease of addressing the drives, ease of managing the drives, and hot-swap capability. Unfortunately, SCSI controllers still use the 68 pin connector, so you will have to buy 68-pin to 80-pin adapters for the drives. You will also need to buy a SCSI cable. If you go with a single-channel controller, then you will need a cable with enough connectors for all of the drives, the controller, and a terminator (which you will also need to purchase). So, if you want to run 8 drives, you'll need a 10-headed cable. If you get a dual channel controller, then you will need two 6-headed cables (4 drives, controller, and terminator on each cable).
Old 8th September, 2005, 10:35 PM

wow these thing are complicated. i also found this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/I-WILL-ULTRA-2...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 8th September, 2005, 10:44 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I don't know anything about the Iwill SCSI adapters. However, I doubt that it is a RAID controller, based on what I can see in the picture.
Old 8th September, 2005, 10:45 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

BTW, just because you don't buy a RAID controller doesn't mean you can't have a RAID; you can buy a regular SCSI Host Bus Adapter and still do software RAID under Windows, if you really want to. You'll take a CPU hit, though.
Old 8th September, 2005, 10:51 PM

Like you said i think ill just find an american megatrends raid controller.

so i need if i go for the express 500 single channel raid controller ill need.

8 x drives
8 x 80 - 68 pin adapters
1 x 10 header 68 way SCSI cable
1 x terminator
Old 8th September, 2005, 11:05 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Yup.

This is what you will need for an SCA adapter. As it happens, I have dealt with the U.S. Branch of this outfit, and they seem to be on the up-and-up, although it is always a case of 'buyer beware'. They also have a 10 headed SCSI cable here and SCSI terminators here.
Old 8th September, 2005, 11:11 PM

Great stuff. Thanks very much gizmo.
Old 8th September, 2005, 11:22 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Be prepared for sticker shock, the ten connector SCSI cable is going to be very expensive. Don't buy a cheap SCSI ribbon cable!
Old 9th September, 2005, 12:20 AM

Yeah i suppose, i saved a packet on the hard disks (infact they were being throw away by the laboratory i work at, trash from the programmming section) so ill bare that in mind, thanks cloasters.

Im currently building a budget server from a dual p3 ECS motherboard and 2 1GHz P3 processors, hopefully about 1GB of ram and obviously between 4-8 of the seagate barracuda hard discs in some sort of raid array, not sure which yet but i like the idea of a 5 disc raid 3 array at the moment but im not sure weather the card im looking at can do it.
Old 9th September, 2005, 12:44 AM

Well been reading up on the Express 500, and its seems to meet my needs. Seems a 4 disc Raid 0 stripe very easily! looks like for cost purposes im gonna go for 4 disks at the moment.
Old 9th September, 2005, 05:06 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Eight SCSI HDD's for no cash at all, what a score! Sure, they are small but they'll make a wicked array.
Old 9th September, 2005, 05:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Exile69 Send a message via MSN to Exile69

Man, if I got my hands on that many drives I couldn't let any go to waste. I guess that's just me. The idea of an 8 disc RAID array is just too cool.

AOA Team fah

Abit NF-M2 | XFX 8600GT | AM2 X2 3800+ | 2Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 | Aspire X-QPack | 250Gb Western Digital | Creative X-Fi + Logitech X530 5.1
Old 9th September, 2005, 05:29 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

That's why I have mine. When I scored the drives in my array, they cost me $20 each, delivered
Old 9th September, 2005, 06:41 PM

Eight discs...free, i did have the embarrassment of sifting though the Programming departments shed (the shed being the place where they store stuff thats gonna be thrown away, usually though redundancy)

A few work collegues laughed at me but look whos laughing now!

Hey scored a Super tower case (practically brand new and is huge), a plextor plexwriter CD-R and a copy of Windows NT...again for free from the bin!
Old 10th September, 2005, 06:20 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
That's why I have mine. When I scored the drives in my array, they cost me $20 each, delivered
Some people... Naah, be less envious cloasters. Ya did good Gizmo!
Old 10th September, 2005, 10:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to Exile69 Send a message via MSN to Exile69

So, would 8 SCSI drives in some sort of outrageous RAID array destroy two Maxtor 10's in a RAID 0 array? Reason I ask is because it's around the same price I think. The SCSI costing maybe $50 more by the looks of it.

AOA Team fah

Abit NF-M2 | XFX 8600GT | AM2 X2 3800+ | 2Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 | Aspire X-QPack | 250Gb Western Digital | Creative X-Fi + Logitech X530 5.1