AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th September, 2005, 07:20 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

That quote is actually a bit misleading. Yes, it's a headphone jack. The point they are making there is that the tech is small enough to be able to fit on a headphone jack, and since they only require 3 connections, it could be implemented that way if you wanted to. There's nothing particularly novel there; Dallas Semiconductor and others have had devices similar to that for years. What's novel is the claimed storage density and speed for a non-volatile memory.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th September, 2005, 11:03 PM

Fake.....

Look at the layout of the website for one.
Then the "optical transciver" (laser from a cd-rom drive) in a CPU...RIGHT>>>
Plus the only thing windowsXP works on is x86 and Itaniums....and I'm sure they dont reach even close to those speeds, although Intel has prototype pentiums, heatless that use "lasers", theroretically clocked around 8Ghz
Old 10th September, 2005, 01:47 AM

Bag o 'Gas !!

From what i have heard ,theyre still not quite close to stabilizing quantum states for any significant period of time that means the memory cannot be non volatile .But Atom Chip claims its storage is non-volatile ..No way its true .Maybe theyre trying to sucker some dumb VC's into it ...Who knows
Old 10th September, 2005, 02:50 AM

quite simply, i dont think that this whould have escaped us if it was real,

give it a decade maby
Old 10th September, 2005, 02:56 AM
Member/Contributer

For anyone not quite convinced thi is load of vaporware nonsense

http://www.compu-technics.com/images/solar%20memory.WMV

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th September, 2005, 03:10 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

Yup you convinced me.
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 10th September, 2005, 03:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to Exile69 Send a message via MSN to Exile69

lol, you have me convinced.

AOA Team fah

Abit NF-M2 | XFX 8600GT | AM2 X2 3800+ | 2Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 | Aspire X-QPack | 250Gb Western Digital | Creative X-Fi + Logitech X530 5.1
Old 10th September, 2005, 10:38 PM
xD ~HOO-RAAH
Snake Champion, Chopper Challenge Champion, Pacman Champion, Capture The Flag Champion, Mario Bros Pipe Panic Champion, Dirt Bike 2 Champion

Send a message via MSN to Abdul

Well, they have it on

http://www.cesweb.org/attendees/awar...sp?category=48

So it looks legitimate, and Dave's usually right! And hell its ****ing AWESOME!
Old 11th September, 2005, 12:25 AM
Team 45 Folder

Hell it certainly is. I mean who wouldn't want to own a laptop like that.
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 11th September, 2005, 12:58 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

LoL...it's probably as fast as a p3 933mhz....i really think 6.8ghz is the wavelength.

Um, check in to quantum computing. There have been quantum processors/computers for YEARS. The tasks they perform, however, are not very complex.

http://www.qubit.org/ is the Oxford university site for quantum computing. Ya'll know what a bit is...qubit is quantum bit. They have had 5-7 qubit machines running since 2000. The realization of cheap solid-state devices is a nessecary part of making a full quantum computer with error correction.

The man of the hour, for the first quantum computer, is Issac Chuang, a professor @ MIT. You can find HIS site here: http://feynman.media.mit.edu/ike/homepage/

You might wanna dig into Turing machines as well...http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/turing-machine/

It's alot to absorb, but if you can make your way through the convoluted speech, the concept is quite simple.
Old 11th September, 2005, 02:30 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

6.8GHz nowhere near the frequency of light. Move up a few orders of magnatude and you'll be getting towards light. After all, it is in the THz range!

As far as quantum computers go, they're up to 7 qubits. To be able to represent a single register on IA32 (Intel architecture) would require the use of 16 qubits (I think?), and would make absolutely no sense whatsoever. Quantum computing is so radically different from any other processing that it would be hugely complex and slow to emulate a standard CPU using quantum computing. Likewise, you can't really emulate quantum computing using a standard CPU. The power of quantum computing is such that if someone sucessfully builds a system of any decent size, most of the world's ciphers will become redundant; quantum computing just decimates encryption as it can consider all possible solutions simultanously, unlike standard processors that can only examine a single possible solution at a time.

Of course, the fact that your qubits are only stable for milliseconds makes it a little difficult to solve many problems with current quantum computer. The other issue is external interference from anything with mass rapidly causes the state of the qubits to degrade.
Old 11th September, 2005, 02:34 PM
Steve Jobs

Light is around 3.0X10^15 hz (if I got that question correct on my quantum physics test last friday).

Plenty of headroom there
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 11th September, 2005, 02:46 PM
Team 45 Folder

Certainly. The frequency of light must be pretty high.
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
AOA Folding @Home
Old 11th September, 2005, 02:49 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripo
But Atom Chip claims its storage is non-volatile ..No way its true .Maybe theyre trying to sucker some dumb VC's into it ...Who knows
They claim to be using the magnetic quantum-optical effect for memory, not quantum states. That basically means they're coupling magnetic effects with quantum properties. That much is believable. The rest? Sounds like they're just trying to get their name out there for VC.
Old 11th September, 2005, 03:12 PM
Team 45 Folder

Yup, i think they are just trying to get there technology known to ppl who don't know alot and by doing this they can easily slip in new things and feature and people will say wow!.
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
AOA Folding @Home
Old 11th September, 2005, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
6.8GHz nowhere near the frequency of light. Move up a few orders of magnatude and you'll be getting towards light. After all, it is in the THz range!

As far as quantum computers go, they're up to 7 qubits. To be able to represent a single register on IA32 (Intel architecture) would require the use of 16 qubits (I think?), and would make absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Except, of course, that quantum bits, or qubits, can signify 2 to the 2500 power normal bits becasue of the behavior of photons. Unlike a standard bit, that only travels down one path, a photon has been shown to travel MANY paths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Of course, the fact that your qubits are only stable for milliseconds makes it a little difficult to solve many problems with current quantum computer. The other issue is external interference from anything with mass rapidly causes the state of the qubits to degrade.

this is why solidstate memory is nessecary, as you use the qubit to program the memory immediately. the only "quantum" part of the pc is the processor.
Old 11th September, 2005, 07:45 PM
Team 45 Folder

Cool, you seem to know alot about this Cadaveca.
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
AOA Folding @Home
Old 11th September, 2005, 08:45 PM

First of all, using a headphone jack could simply have been there to demonstrate. It's also entirely possible.
Secondly, I am not going to doubt Cadaveca. I'm sure if this guy says it's real, it is.

The site makes it hard, because its a very messy site and does not reflect any sense of quality. Plus the laptop looks very bodged up, but that's probably because it's a prototype.
Old 11th September, 2005, 08:48 PM

i'm not saying THEIR system is fully working, however, it is VERY possible.
Old 11th September, 2005, 08:56 PM
Team 45 Folder

I'm sure it is.
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
AOA Folding @Home