AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th September, 2005, 05:04 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

At this point in time, the most plain english you'll get is along the lines of that most of it is probably a hoax. They probably have a hard disk replacement. The rest of it is highly doubtful.
Old 17th September, 2005, 05:15 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
With all due respect, how does entanglement help? For entanglement to work, you have to produce multiple particles in the first place.

Of course. You really would need to anyway, to be able to get it to work properly, at least from what i understand.

Really the best i can say is peruse the university papers that are out there...pretty much every finding ever made can be found relatively easily.

Basiically..well, the math works, but to explain it without hte math it just doesn't make any sense, at least not to me. As far as i can tell, you do have a fairly level grasp as to what is going on, so I don't see why you see this so hard to fathom. I can't think of a way to explain it properly(I'm definately no teacher), except to start from the very beginning, and that's just way too much of an undertaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
At this point in time, the most plain english you'll get is along the lines of that most of it is probably a hoax. They probably have a hard disk replacement. The rest of it is highly doubtful.
I think you are right on that, but it's more than just the storage device, it's the communication between the device and the processor as well, which, applied properly, could have use in a real quantum computer, at least I think so.

Old 17th September, 2005, 06:42 PM

// quote // With all due respect, you lot don't talk in a way that makes sense to dumbasses like myself. But I'm really fascinated so somebody help me out a bit? //

Ill try and give it a shot ..Even i am not a 100 % sure , been a long time .
The thing is that Quantum Computing is far more complicated than quantum storage .What we refer to as Quantum-Photonic Storage is nothing but something like Optical Storage on DVd's,Cd's . The difference arises in the fact that

a) Crystals might be used to store the data in 3 Dimensions ,so you get more density .

b) Instead of using pits ,holes to represent bits as in conventional optical drives what you might have is some kind of a Quantum efect used i.e. quantum physics/states .

c) One thing about quantum states is the fact that observation tends to change them i.e. in order to know the state of a photon you might have to hit it with something and look at the resulting phenomenon to know what state it was in. Say you have a 0 bit stored as state A , you hit it with a
photon with state B and look at the resulting photon .if it is state A ,you
confirm or read that the data is 0 or if it is B you read it as 1 .
This is just a simplified statement , numerous states are possible and they too
differ with the particle used i.e. photon,quark etc.

d) As you read the data it is changed because it is a destructive process, so you might have to end up writing the data read back to the cell.

Since a Laser is used in conjuction with Quantum states ,hecne the name Quantum-Photonic effect , but i prefer holographic memory i.e.
3 dimensional memory storage .

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th September, 2005, 06:53 PM

Quantum Computing :
Using Quantum Physics to implement gates as they are the building blocks of Processors etc.For example to build an AND gate i.e. you might have to select a prticel and certain states that they can work as an AND gate.

Simplified version of
AND gate => 1 & 1 --- 1 . that is 2 1's input give 1 as output .
So if 2 photon with state A ( 1 ) collide and result in a photon with state ( A)
means that the above condition is satisfied and we can use them to implement a
gate .Multiple gates can be chained together to give logic as in a normal computer , or they can be run in parallel to provide excellent distributed computing power ( Maybe somebody can get one for the Folding Team .. ...That's going to blow everyone off )

Hope this has made life easier . I am a bit behind on the tech and so it is a very simplified version and there might be a few errors .

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th September, 2005, 01:14 AM

Ok, if you will go the company's page: http://atomchip.com/_wsn/page4.html and scroll down to the system properties pic is, you will see that the word Professional in the XP name is spelled wrong; now correct me if I am wrong but it is spelled professionAl, not "professionel."
Old 19th September, 2005, 01:20 AM

bad screenshot.

the a looks like an e, but if you compare it to other a's in the ss, you'll see that it's really an a, and looks nothing like an e.

[/team][/thread]Motivator[thread=2352][team=fah]
Old 19th September, 2005, 01:57 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

I'm sure it is correct. It's just a bad screenshot, low quality, so pixels are larger.

http://atomchip.com/db4/00366/atomch...SystProp-x.jpg
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 19th September, 2005, 02:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to Exile69 Send a message via MSN to Exile69

Looks like an 'a' to me. Now, looking at this screenshot, I begin to wonder how Windows can support a system like this.

AOA Team fah

Abit NF-M2 | XFX 8600GT | AM2 X2 3800+ | 2Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 | Aspire X-QPack | 250Gb Western Digital | Creative X-Fi + Logitech X530 5.1
Old 19th September, 2005, 02:53 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

I thought Win Xp supports only 4 GB of Ram.
Old 19th September, 2005, 02:57 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Win XP Pro 32bit only supports 4Gb. Win XP Pro 64bit supports 16GB of RAM. Neither support anything higher than that.

In the world of RAID and cheapish 500GB IDE disks, 2TB of disk space is entirely possible.
Old 19th September, 2005, 05:15 PM
Team 45 Folder

True, you answered that before me.
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 19th September, 2005, 07:15 PM

2TB doesn't surprise me because most £5k PCs like the Armari Gravistar etc already have pushing 1TB of storage.
Old 19th September, 2005, 07:17 PM
Team 45 Folder

Really i didn't know that.
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
AOA Folding @Home
Old 19th September, 2005, 08:23 PM

The Holly Venom came with 0.75 TB of sotrage, and the Armari with 0.6TB.
Sadly, Holly went into administration.
Old 19th September, 2005, 09:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghastpumpkin
2TB doesn't surprise me because most £5k PCs like the Armari Gravistar etc already have pushing 1TB of storage.
I'm not surprised that lots of computers have terabytes of storage. The difference here is the fact that this storage is solid state, though. Find out how much 2 TB of compact flash cards cost and you'd see that this is either a bit insincere or a breakthrough.
Old 20th September, 2005, 10:06 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomfreq
I'm not surprised that lots of computers have terabytes of storage. The difference here is the fact that this storage is solid state, though. Find out how much 2 TB of compact flash cards cost and you'd see that this is either a bit insincere or a breakthrough.
Big Ouch! I didn't realize that it was about SSD! I looked several months ago at SSD prices and for the storage size I wanted (a few GBs) it would more than double the cost of the computer. So now...that site is or a big hoax or some great inventors/innovators . I really hope I won't have to be cynical after some time.
Old 20th September, 2005, 03:56 PM

Why don't they stick to HDD? Little Mikey is the size of a dominoe.
Old 20th September, 2005, 04:56 PM
Team 45 Folder

That's nano-technology for ya!
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
AOA Folding @Home