AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th September, 2005, 03:24 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quantum Computing - Real or Imagined?

Came across a story about this while bouncing around the web the other day.

'This' is a computer based around a processor and related storage technology that promises to revolutionize the industry. The technology is based on a 'quantum-optical' effect that has been recently discovered, and uses materials that have been invented specifically to take advantage of this effect.

Supposedly, this beastie will be shown at the January CES.

So, what do you think? Is this something that is real, or does it sound like a bunch of hot air...err, quantum states?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th September, 2005, 03:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

I like this line: "Memory: 1TB Quantum-Optical non-volatile RAM (NvIOpSRAM-SODIMM 200-pin)"

This is complete BS. I couldn't see something like that coming to market (especially for that low of a price range.) As for wether or not the technology is real: I'm not qualified to say.
Old 9th September, 2005, 03:30 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Quote:
6.8GHZ CPU (AtomChip® Quantum® II processor)
And a 2tb hardrive?

Am I missing something?

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th September, 2005, 03:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
And a 2tb hardrive?

Am I missing something?
"The notebook does not employ a Hard Disk and is completely based on solid state AtomChip® optoelectronics [except the mechanical Optical Drive: DVD Super Multi]."

Man, 15k would be a steal for a computer like that. I still can't believe that it's real, though.
Old 9th September, 2005, 03:47 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

http://acqp.physi.uni-heidelberg.de/what_is_acqp.php

It's real, guys. This german university has been working on the "atom chip" project with a collaboration of others for YEARS.

http://atomchip.com/db4/00366/atomch...220-2-Back.JPG

solid-state drives....IE flash mem, etc....
anyway...

http://atomchip.com/db4/00366/atomch...es/HDDComp.jpg

here's the CPU:
http://atomchip.com/db4/00366/atomch...scomp-open.JPG

Quote:
THIS PRODUCT OPENS A NEW ERA IN THE CONSUMER ELECTRONICS INDUSTRY!

SPECIFICATION:

Processor: 6.8GHZ CPU (AtomChip® Quantum® II processor or 4 x Intel® Pentium® M processors 1.7CHz) / System Compliance: Two Operating Systems with Voice Command (Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional and Linux®) / Memory: 1TB Quantum-Optical non-volatile RAM (NvIOpSRAM-SODIMM 200-pin) / Storage: 2TB non-volatile Quantum RAM (NvIOpRAM-ATA IDE) / Optical Drive: DVD Super Multi / LCD Display: 12.1” WXGA (1280 x 800, 16:10) TFT Glare Type LCD display with 1.3 Mega pixel CMOS camera / Video & Graphics: Two Integrated graphic controllers [Intel®855GME internal graphics, support Intel® DVMT (Dynamic Video Memory Technology) and AtomChip® DVM (Dynamic Video Memory)] / Communication: 10/100 Base-T LAN on board, MDC Fax/Modem V.90/V.92 on Board, 802.11a/802.11b/802.11g WLAN, Intel® PRO/Wireless 2100/2200BG/2915ABG network connection, WiFi, Bluetoth, GPRS -with Bluetoth antena, CMOS camera with USB interface, Mega pixel resolution CMOS image / Pointing Device: Synaptics touchpad with 4 way scrolling button / Application Launch Key: E-mail, Internet, Capture, WLAN / LED Status Indicator: Power, Suspend/Resume, Battery Charging Status, Quantum Storage Access, Num Lock mode, Caps Lock mode, Scroll Lock mode, WLAN Lock mode / Keyboard: 3.0mm travel, inverted-T, 88keys with 2 windows key (Internet & Microsoft For Connectivity) / Interface Ports Front Side: One 4-in-1 card reader slot (support SDIO/SD/MS Pro/MS), Audio line out, Stereo Microphone-in / Interface Ports Left Side: LAN port, Modem port, SVGA–out port, One Type II PCMCIA slot (support CardBus), 1394A port (mini jack) / Interface Ports Right Side: USB 2.0 ports x 3 / Interface Port Rear Side: DC-in, Kensington Lock / Audio: Built-in two stereo speakers and Built-in Microphone / AC Adapter (Input: 100-240V AC, 50-60Hz, 1.5A. Output: 20V DC, 2.5A, 50W) / Battery: 6 cell Li-lon battery pack. Battery Charge: 3 hrs charge time to 100% capacity while system off and 4 hrs charge time while system on. Battery Life: Approximately 8 hours for AtomChip® Quantum® II processor and 3 hours for 4 x Intel® Pentium® M processors 1.7CHz / BIOS: AMI, Support PnP, password, Bootable from USB and DVD / Power Management: ACPI 2.0 compliance / Smart Battery System Support / Security: Kensington Lock / Size: 320.0(W) x 242.0(D) x 22.0(H)mm/28.0mm (front/back) / Weight: 1.9kg(when fully equipped with AtomChip® Quantum® II processor) and 2,20kg(when fully equipped with 4 x Intel® Pentium® M processors) / Packing Accessories: Quick Guide, Support CD (Driver, Utility, Manual), AC Adapter, Power Cord, Battery Pack, BOSE Headphone Music System with noise Cancelling.

http://atomchip.com/index.html

either it's just a concept...but i think they may have a real chance of bringing something to market...at least is showpeices...next year.
Old 9th September, 2005, 03:50 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Considering that 2 TB of RAM storage would be worth about $20,000 at today's prices, that would be a neat trick.
Old 9th September, 2005, 03:57 AM

uh...not really. i've seen solid state mini-drives for a while...as you have....looks to me like 8x certain discs...

anyway...how much memory can the new itanium and opterons address? interstingly enough, it 256gb, at least for the itanium, for sure. the opteron the in 8way format is supposed to handle as much as well, i think. ever wonder why?

Last edited by cadaveca; 9th September, 2005 at 04:02 AM.
Old 9th September, 2005, 03:58 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
It's real, guys. This german university has been working on the "atom chip" project with a collaboration of others for YEARS.
either it's just a concept...but i think they may have a real chance of bringing something to market...at least is showpeices...next year.
It's one thing to be able to build a single gate in a controlled environment. It's quite another to product something on the order of 2 trillion WORKING gates in the real world (and that's what they are talking about doing, assuming a 1:1 correspondence between memory cells and gates), at affordable prices.

It is possible that they may have a 'proof of concept' at CES in an effort to secure more funding, but even if they do and even if it works it will still be YEARS before we see viable technology, because the industry has too much money invested in current fabrication technologies which will suddenly be worthless when this stuff hits the market.

I still think it's a bunch of hokum.
Old 9th September, 2005, 04:00 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
uh...not really. i've seen solid state mini-drives for a while...as you have....looks to me like 8x certain discs...

anyway...how much memory can the new itanium and opterons address? interstingly enough, it 256gb, at least for the itanium, for sure. the opteron the in 8way format is supposed to handle as much as well, i think. ever wonder why?
But can you build a solid-state memory drive with 2 TB of storage, plug that into a computer with the claimed performance, and sell the whole package for less than $15,000? That's what they are claiming. I was pointing out that the memory ALONE would cost $20,000.
Old 9th September, 2005, 04:01 AM

http://www.azulsystems.com/products...mpute_pools.pdf

Quote:

Introducing the World's First Network Attached Processing Solution

World's largest flat symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) system with the industry's first 24 core, 64-bit microprocessor that does not expose its binaries to end user applications

•Up to 384 processor cores and 256 GB ECC memory per appliance in an 11U (19.25 inches) rack mounted enclosure

•Introducing Vega™-the industry's first dedicated and optimized processor for virtual machine-based applications

•Revolutionary power and density at 2.7 kw of power per appliance •Enterprise class availability

oh, i agree, giz, but not all tech is as expensive to make as it is sold for. prices of anything can drop or rise at any moment.

IMHO, it's crap, but the story...is real.
Old 9th September, 2005, 04:40 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
http://www.azulsystems.com/products...mpute_pools.pdf

[b]

oh, i agree, giz, but not all tech is as expensive to make as it is sold for. prices of anything can drop or rise at any moment.

IMHO, it's crap, but the story...is real.
Quite true, but that little beauty that you just posted costs a WHOLE lot more than $15000, even to build. I didn't say that such hardware couldn't be built, I said it couldn't be built using conventional technology at the price point they are claiming.
Old 9th September, 2005, 04:54 AM

but giz, if you create a monopoly on the market...you set the price. Anyway, like i said before, i totally agree with you, if they were using the sort of devices you think. However the little discs that are inside those drives...lol...they cost about $15 i think to make, if they are what i think they are. there's only one device i know of that can have that sort of storage in that space....think about claims in the articles of "oreo cookie size", and then get back to me on that cost thing.
Old 9th September, 2005, 05:00 AM

Toshiba was the first major manufacturer to come out with a 1.8-inch drive holding up to 40GB, which is used in the iPod and other MP3 players....since before january 2004.

quantum's price for the "flash" memory is $50 per GB.
Old 9th September, 2005, 06:53 AM
Steve Jobs

And they managed to just install windows XP on it. Great!
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 9th September, 2005, 02:53 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

6.8 ghz cpu?!?!?
WHY?!?! With fast memory (or is it not that fast?) you wouldn't need a 6.8ghz chip, hell I think you'd only need a 1ghz chip and cut way down on the heat.
$.02
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 9th September, 2005, 03:29 PM

I suspect that while the underlying concepts are real, this particularproduct exissts only in an alternate quantum reality. It will take some time before these things are demonstrable hardware. I find it laughable that this processor is called the Quantum II - why have we never heard of the Quantum I? Or for that matter, has anyone heard of this company Atomchip before now?

AOA Team fah
Old 9th September, 2005, 03:30 PM

AHa! Check this link, just as I suspected:

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/w...book_computer/

AOA Team fah
Old 9th September, 2005, 04:32 PM

dolanen - all that site does is speculate about the legitimacy of the claim, the same way that everyone on here has. It still doesn't prove anything one way or the other....
NVidia 6800GT
Yesico FL-420(T) Fanless 420W PSU
2 x Maxtor DiamondMax 10 80GB SATA RAID0
Silverstone Temjin TJ05S-T Case
Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+ 19" LCD

AOA Team fah
Old 9th September, 2005, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolanenwindrift
I suspect that while the underlying concepts are real, this particularproduct exissts only in an alternate quantum reality. It will take some time before these things are demonstrable hardware. I find it laughable that this processor is called the Quantum II - why have we never heard of the Quantum I? Or for that matter, has anyone heard of this company Atomchip before now?
The quantum1 was shown @ the 2004 CES show...rated to4ghz.

Just remember...a processor's speed does not translate into relative horsepower of today's machines...

I've been following the quantum computing front for a few years...it's real..the theories are sound...it's just a matter of putting the math to practice.
Old 9th September, 2005, 06:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to benighted Send a message via MSN to benighted

haha
Quote:
If you still think this is real check this out:

http://atomchip.com/_wsn/page3.html

On that page they show a headphone jack and try to convince you that it's computer stoarge.

Buy AVG Anti-Virus and Support AOA!!
AOA Team fah
Silent water cooled system:
Zalman Reserator 1.1
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice @ 2400MHZ
Epox 9NDA3+
2GB GSkill PC3200
Maxtor 10 SATA X2 RAID0
eVGA 6800 Ultra 256MB