AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th September, 2005, 09:43 AM

Send a message via MSN to acgraham

2gb ram 667?

Hey all! Im looking for new ram modules to put in a new board - its probaly going to be a gigabyte 81945-pro (unless anyone has any qualms or other recomendations). I want to put 2x1gb dimms in it. ive heard that these twin kits somehow look for the other one in the pair, so you cant mix and match them. not sure if this is true, but if thats the case then i probably dont want a kit, so i have the option to split them up and put them in other machines etc.

anyway, i know we get these questions here all the time, but what would you recomend i should be running with this motherboard?

Thanks for any tips/advice/recomendations!
Old 16th September, 2005, 09:54 AM

What make of memory are you planning to put in ? And regarding Dual Channel having two sticks of a similar kind is enough i believe..That is made up of same memory chips with similar timings or else they have to be of the same batch from a manufacturer to be able to run in Dual Channel Mode....
But i donot believe there is an link between the two modules with one searching for a similar kind !!

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th September, 2005, 12:18 PM

Send a message via MSN to acgraham

im not sure what brand really, thats what i want to figure out. its gotta be good though, im looking for good quality ram but i want to weigh price considerations and make a decision. im not sure if i really understand anything else you said, sorry but i've always found ram so daunting.
Old 16th September, 2005, 01:00 PM

I just put a machine together for a co worker. P4 640 on a Asus SLI board. I used Corsair XMS DDR2 PC800. Incredibly stable, silly fast and the price isn't bad. The machine is currently on my bench running at 4.19 GHZ ! Stable for 24 Hours. Sandra CPU Burn in for 5 hours straight. All this on air. Coolermaster Hyper 6 w a 92mm Panaflow.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th September, 2005, 04:47 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Make sure to ask about RAM for your particular mainboard. Yes, I know that you did precisely that, but a shorter post would work better. The Asus i865 m'board I have works fine with 2 "identical" 512 Mb sticks of no name Buffalo brand PC-3200--at stock.

Years ago, some mainboards -usually for AMD procs- needed "bookmatched" RAM modules. RAM sticks don't query each other and refuse to work if they're not bookmatched, the AMD m'boards were just finicky as all get out. After discovering the best RAM that you can afford for your motherboard, just buy them at the same time from one r/etailer.