AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th October, 2005, 03:54 PM
AOA Staff

Microsoft's xbox 2 unexplained pricing

Read here:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/i...d=546&Itemid=2

Yet again, it looks like UK consumers will have to pay through the nose!

What do you think?

If you live elsewhere, please do post how much one will cost in your country. Let's see who MS are fleecing the most!
Old 13th October, 2005, 04:02 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Well this *IS* rip-off Britain.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th October, 2005, 04:39 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Maybe MS will try to justify the higher price in Great Britain by saying that shipping them there costs more. B-but, if they are coming from Taiwan, it's probably cheaper to send them to the UK.
Old 13th October, 2005, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters
Maybe MS will try to justify the higher price in Great Britain by saying that shipping them there costs more. B-but, if they are coming from Taiwan, it's probably cheaper to send them to the UK.
There being built all over china mabey MS thinks they can chage more in the UK it cost $400 for the premium in the us and $300 for the core.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."

Last edited by madcatmk3; 13th October, 2005 at 08:10 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th October, 2005, 03:25 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters
Even if it were down to shipping costs, it couldn't possibly be costing them an extra £50 per unit.
Old 14th October, 2005, 04:00 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

I would be willing to hazzard a guess that they aren't going to make much if any money off of hardware sales. With the Xbox MS lost $24 per unit sold. They more than made it up by charging for developer kits and selling licenese and royalties on games sold.

They probibly had some bean counter somewhere figure out just how much Americans would pay befor they just didn't buy. If you remember, the origonal Xbox was going to cost $399. They did a huge demonstration at E3 and everyone was very impressed with it. Then a spokesman for Sony took the podium and turned everyones atention to the less powerful PS2 with just one utterance, "$299" Well MicroSoft doesn't have that problem this time around. Sony won't becoming out untill spring. So MS can charge what they want where they want. And they will sell every unit they make. Apperantly the bean counters have decided that the Brits are willing and able to pay more than thier decendants across the pond.

Just a guess, but one with thought in it.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 14th October, 2005, 04:10 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I would tend to think you are right, Staz, but I think MS is making a HUGE mistake. If they keep their pricing up, they are going to run a significant risk of leaving a large hole in the market for Sony to step into. If they were to bring the price down to a more sane level, they could make it much more difficult on Sony. But that's just my opinion, and it's not like I'm particularly rooting for MS.
Old 14th October, 2005, 08:36 PM

I think most people will wait here in the UK.
It's mid-October, and nobody is talking about the XBox 360 at all. It's hardly a craze.
Old 14th October, 2005, 09:30 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

that price isnt actually that bad considering whats inside it cpu / gpu wise. oh and its the xbox 360 not the xbox 2!
Old 15th October, 2005, 01:20 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Chesso

They'll probably suck what they can out of it and drop the price when the competitor steps in as a counter measure, It sounds feasible to me.
Old 15th October, 2005, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
I would tend to think you are right, Staz, but I think MS is making a HUGE mistake. If they keep their pricing up, they are going to run a significant risk of leaving a large hole in the market for Sony to step into. If they were to bring the price down to a more sane level, they could make it much more difficult on Sony. But that's just my opinion, and it's not like I'm particularly rooting for MS.
you know it only cost intel around $40 to make a 3.73 EE. They charge alof because of R&D sony has already spent millions pionier the cell. they won;t come for less then $400. PLus people arn't really going on pricing for hte new sytems the revoultion will do well sionce it's the cheapest.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 15th October, 2005, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwalton
that price isnt actually that bad considering whats inside it cpu / gpu wise.
My less powerful (altuogh smarter) new sytem cost me $1800 the 360 had more processing power. so what does that tell you about value.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah
Old 15th October, 2005, 05:14 AM

More than likely because of the court fights the Brits gave MS. Lol.

"Make us remove stuff from our operating system, will ya?"
Old 15th October, 2005, 03:44 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwalton
that price isnt actually that bad considering whats inside it cpu / gpu wise. oh and its the xbox 360 not the xbox 2!
LOL. I don't know why I wrote xbox 2. I guess their marketing isn't so good afterall!
Old 25th October, 2005, 06:37 AM

well ms really do need to get in there frist as the new ps3 really do look good and with the power of the new cpu. all i can say is good luck to ms. i am not a console buyer but i will be keeping up with the consoles games hopping some of the top games make there way to the pc.

sabertooth 990FX
amd FX8350 @4.2ghz
16GB 1600mhz hyperX ram
AMD HD7970 3GB asus DCPC graphics
hyperX 120GB SSD
WD 320GB hard drive
1TB,500GB working over usb3
corsair HX850 psu
aerocool cyclone black case
window 8.1
asus monitor 24" 1920x1200 res.