AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th October, 2005, 08:49 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

Proposed setup...what do you think?

Hi all, at the moment i have this kinda setup in mind. Please tell me what you think and any suggestions would be helpful please.

Budget = £350-400 could extend if needed.
CPU: AMD Opteron 144, 1.8GHz, Socket 939, 1MB, BOXED w/fan
Mainboard: EPoX EP-9NPA+, nForce4 ,ATX, Socket-939 S-ATA, GbLAN, Firewire, PCI-Express X16
Memory: TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 1024MB Dual Pack Kit w/two matched PC3200 DDR DIMMs
PSU: Can anyone recommend?
Case: Cooler Master Centurion 530
HDD: Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250GB SATA 16MB 7200RPM NCQ
Extras: NEC DVD±RW burner, ND-3540A, 16x, Dual, White OEM
GPU: Gigabyte 6600GT Silent Pipe,128MB GDDR3 PCI-Express, Tv-Out, DVI-I, Retail
Anything else?
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th October, 2005, 09:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to Exile69 Send a message via MSN to Exile69

You could always get an Ultra X-Connect for the PSU. Things look amazing lit up. I don't really prefer the case but w/e.

AOA Team fah

Abit NF-M2 | XFX 8600GT | AM2 X2 3800+ | 2Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 | Aspire X-QPack | 250Gb Western Digital | Creative X-Fi + Logitech X530 5.1

Last edited by Exile69; 16th October, 2005 at 03:46 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th October, 2005, 10:28 AM
Member/Contributer

How about an X800GTO2 instead of the 6600GT? Its probably not that much more cash wise and as most mod 100% its a steal.

AOA Team fah
Old 16th October, 2005, 12:20 PM
Team 45 Folder

Ok i'll think about that. Any other suggestions?
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 16th October, 2005, 03:40 PM
Member/Contributer

The 9NPAJ looks like a killer board for it price. Save some dosh over the 9NPA+ and put it towards more memory, 2x 1GB modules?

AOA Team fah
Old 16th October, 2005, 03:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to Exile69 Send a message via MSN to Exile69

The difference is only $15, whereas the difference in the price in 2*1Gb memory is more like 100 bucks or so. Though if you can scrape up enough dough, you should defenitly try for the 2*1Gb. BF2 plays like a dream.

AOA Team fah

Abit NF-M2 | XFX 8600GT | AM2 X2 3800+ | 2Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 | Aspire X-QPack | 250Gb Western Digital | Creative X-Fi + Logitech X530 5.1
Old 16th October, 2005, 05:45 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

I agree with Laz on the X800GTO² its a cut down X850 and the mod is almost a sure thing. Read about it here:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...CI_Series.html
Old 16th October, 2005, 08:25 PM

id also go with the gto2.

as for powersupplies antec/enermax/ocz

xconnect/ultra <-sucks b@lls
"the path of the righteous man is besset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyrany of evil men. blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will sheppards the weak through the valley of darkness for he is trully his brothers keeper and the finder of lost children, and i will strike down upon thee with great vengence and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers and you will know my name is the lord when i lay my vengence upon thee."
Old 16th October, 2005, 08:32 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

"the finder of lost children."
a title to be desired above all others....
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 16th October, 2005, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
"the finder of lost children."
*quagmire* ALLLLLLLLRIGHT! gigidy gigidy
"the path of the righteous man is besset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyrany of evil men. blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will sheppards the weak through the valley of darkness for he is trully his brothers keeper and the finder of lost children, and i will strike down upon thee with great vengence and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers and you will know my name is the lord when i lay my vengence upon thee."
Old 16th October, 2005, 09:27 PM
Team 45 Folder

I already have a 9550 vid card, i want a vid card which will impress me in games and stuff, is the x800gt capable?
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
AOA Folding @Home
Old 16th October, 2005, 10:20 PM

get the sapphire x800 GTO2 as it is 100% moddable to x850 xt pe .
Old 16th October, 2005, 10:38 PM

The X800GTO2 is a crippled X850, so far everyone had been able to mod them to allow all 16 pixel pipes but as for X850XT PE, clock speeds nothings is promised, but from what ove read eveyone has been able to get to X850XT

9550 / X850XT ... think youll see a tad bit of differance!

Just for your intrest:

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/...ng/vidcard/127
Old 16th October, 2005, 10:53 PM

^^ ok my bad, maybe they dont all hit 540/590 (a good percentage have been) but hey for $250 who can complain?

they are not crippled x850's; what they are is extra stock that ATI is trying to get rid of, so all they did was bios lock some pipes and drop the clocks down
Old 16th October, 2005, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorfish
if you read your own link which you posted you would know that that statement is FALSE.

sry for dbl posting
Old 17th October, 2005, 10:28 AM

Lets not turn this into an argument...

But if they are just cut down X85's why dont they all hit X850XT PE Speeds?

"However, not every card might overclock as well, but all of them should be able to run at the XT speeds" How is this not a crippled X850XT PE>>>

PM me the answer so we dont waste anymore of this genuine help thread. (Sorry Got Epox)
Old 17th October, 2005, 01:54 PM
Team 45 Folder

No problems RF. Could you recommend any other hardware changes e.g. processor, memory etc? Is this the graphics card http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=312036&cks=SER
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
AOA Folding @Home
Old 17th October, 2005, 02:47 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got EpOx
Is this the graphics card [
Nope but this is. Seventh one down, the Saphire GTO2.

AOA Team fah
Old 17th October, 2005, 03:23 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via MSN to alexkerhead

Got Epox, like Exile said, the ultra xconnect psu is a great choice.
I have a power sucking, voltage hungry intel p4, with 2 hdds, 3 opticals, 3 nics, etc....rails are all normal, and temps are fine.
Not to mention it solved all my wire management problems.

AOA Team fah
Old 17th October, 2005, 03:46 PM

Just as a suggestion have you looked at Tagan PSUs? great quality and are always highly recommended... check out this months PC Extreme magazine. They have done loads of test on loads of supplys so definatly worth look!