AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st October, 2005, 02:26 AM

Operating System

this may be a dumb question but I was thinking that since all this spyware has been coming into Windows XP, think it would be better to go with Windows 2000? I mean, everyone knows that pretty much everyone in the US has XP, and its so full of spyware and slows down internet browsing with popups and **** like that. Acually, 2000 isnt a real bad operating system. People just seem to go with the newer version of Windows, but I acually like windows 2000 if i had to switch to it, so if anyone can answer my question, that would be helpful. Thanks
Old 21st October, 2005, 02:46 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

The weaknesses and vulnerabilities of WindowsXP are pretty much present in Windows2000, and WindowsNT. And don't even think about the 9x OSen, as they are even worse.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st October, 2005, 04:16 AM
Phat Spammer

Send a message via AIM to Phat Pat

pretty much any apps (like spyware) that will run on XP will also run on win2k from what I understand. You can always go linux.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st October, 2005, 09:12 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Or use VMWare Player with the web browsing image - that way only the VMWare instance would get the spyware rather than your main machine.
Old 21st October, 2005, 07:06 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Yeah, virtual machines are always helpful for avoiding nasties. Speaking of spyware though, my school's entire network is running on 2000 and there have never been any spyware or security breaches (except one little punk who tried sending a virus round school). I know this is slightly off topic but batch files always pose a threat. I mean, with just a little information such as IP and the network drive names, i could essentially find my way into any folder. I have some of this info already which i collected during an english lesson in an IT room, no-one suspected a thing and i was continuously pinging the web server part which is on their intranet AFAIK. Anyway, with just a bit of research, i managed to find out the names of most of the shares, the drive names and the format that most usernames followed!

I know that was a bit out of the blue but it just shows that 2000 isn't as good as it is made out to be, but XP was built on 2000 and NT so there we have it!

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Old 21st October, 2005, 09:36 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Oh, if the servers support null sessions, you can pull down a list of all the users, as well as a list of the shares - all without requiring any authentication!
Old 22nd October, 2005, 02:11 PM

Or you could get a decent firewall, possibly even a hardware one, Spybot Search and Destroy, AVG Anti-Virus and Adaware. Then you should be fine.
Changing OS is a bit dramatic for the sake of a few pop-ups and the odd virus. If your protecting yourself properly, you shouldn't really have a problem! Unless you runlucky.
Old 22nd October, 2005, 02:55 PM

Zonealarm is a good firewall.
Old 22nd October, 2005, 04:00 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

Zonealarm is a little annoying for me with those popups coming every five seconds 'allow IE to access the internet'....
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 22nd October, 2005, 06:48 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got EpOx
Zonealarm is a little annoying for me with those popups coming every five seconds 'allow IE to access the internet'....
That's why you click on "remember my selection"
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 30th October, 2005, 08:57 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

Yeah well i can't be bothered. I don't use IE anyway.
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 31st October, 2005, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calhoun
this may be a dumb question but I was thinking that since all this spyware has been coming into Windows XP, think it would be better to go with Windows 2000? I mean, everyone knows that pretty much everyone in the US has XP, and its so full of spyware and slows down internet browsing with popups and **** like that. Acually, 2000 isnt a real bad operating system. People just seem to go with the newer version of Windows, but I acually like windows 2000 if i had to switch to it, so if anyone can answer my question, that would be helpful. Thanks
zone alarm not much works with XP go with mediacenter edition it's like pro but cheaper and more useful.
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...=dbtopnav_zass
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Ad-Aware_S...onal_d506.html
all the programs you'll ever need.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."

Last edited by madcatmk3; 31st October, 2005 at 09:56 PM. Reason: links
Old 31st October, 2005, 10:19 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcatmk3
zone alarm not much works with XP go with mediacenter edition it's like pro but cheaper and more useful.
all the programs you'll ever need.
The problem with media centre, is that you are unable to use any non MS products for the remote (or even non IR), or playing anything on the TV. Not my idea of a good OS.

BTW I don't know where you got your information but:

Yes there are kernal differences between XP home and pro
(XP pro is NT changed to XP, XP home is 9x changed to XP - so 1 from NTFS the other from FAT32, they just meet in the middle)
Yes Media centre is built on the pro kernal

BUT

It ONLY has the same functions as xp home - so its just like home not pro
Its programs for video viewing / capture are more built in, and less forgiving when you use something else.
You are unable to use other programs with the remote and on the TV
Any TV decoding has to be done by the card. You are unable to use ANY programs - including some of those released by cable / satellite companies.

w2k is only slightly less secure than xp. If you don't go to those dodgy sites, use a firewall, antivirus, and antispyware, you wont have a problem.

Your other option is Linux.

I suggest Linux, w2k, or XP (not in any particular order - best first ). After having a look at Vista, what MS have done with the 64-bit, and MC editions, you are only going to have less ability to use non MS programs that MS do themselves.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 19th November, 2005, 10:26 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

Stop downloading pron, and it won't matter.

OMFG.. what was I thinking?