AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th November, 2005, 07:34 AM

Ram Limitations

I'm looking at a Toshiba Satellite which they say has a maximum limitation of 1024mb (2x512mb ddr PC2100 200 pin ram). Since this laptop came out, a larger piece of ram has become available; 1024mb DDR PC2100 200 pin...is it possible to use this ram or will the bios be unable to recognize it?

Next, if the bios can't recognize it, is there a way to "edit" the bios to recognize it or is this a hardware issue? All the Toshiba tech sheets list the various ram upgrades useable with this notebook and they all follow the same pattern 16x64 32x64 and 64x64mb which is 128mb 256mb and 512mb respectively. Without plunking down a few hundred bucks for a piece of Sodimm I might not be able to use, I thought I'd ask first. Is the limitation on ram hard controlled by the bios (ie: what the manufacture says is tops is tops) or can increased dimms work as long as they follow the same architecture? The larger ram is identical except that its 128x64mb=1024mb ram

Yes I know, I should be happy to get a Gig of ram in it and move on to better processor things...but it would be so nice if I could slip 2 gigs in it and be able to use it. Can't find anything elsewhere so thought I'd check here.

Satellite 2430-S255
2.4 Ghz P4
512 PC2100 DDR Sodimm
40gig drive
DVD/CD-RW
nVidia GeForce4 420 graphics

Empassioned1
Old 16th November, 2005, 05:27 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, Empassioned1!

If the BIOS won't recognize more than 1 GB, I don't think you can "edit" it so that it will accept 2 GB. Why not ask Toshiba if a future BIOS update will allow you to throw 2 GB of RAM into the laptop? You'll see if their tech support is worth a hoot.
Old 16th November, 2005, 05:57 PM

Thank you!

Thank you, I'll drop them an email, although so far, it seems they want you to call. Generally when I call tech support, I end up hearing a foreign accent and I know volumes more than they do. *smile*

But, since I want this laptop to do the hard work until I build my up and coming dream system, I'd like to get all the "umph" from it I can.

I'm working with a friend to build an insulated "wood" case and a water cooled or refrigerant cooled super system. But first things first.

Thanks again for your reply!
C.K.
Empassioned1