AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th November, 2005, 05:30 PM

Accessing external DVRs' HDD & formatting for a larger drive

This is probably going to be a tough one since it is involving unchartered territory.
There are 3rd party external HDTV recording devices that will work with certain HD TV's that have the HAVi interface and 1394 ports. The use a HDD to record NTSC/ATSC (OverTheAir) & QAM (Cable) material.

This is one device that has promise;
http://www.indigita.com/products/cus...ions/avhd.html

Problem is; price and size of HDD. What I want to know is how would one replace the included HDD with a larger one.

I received a e-mail from Indigita and the relevent portion is as follows;
Quote:
The AVHD drives are specially formatted to maintain the 5C content protection and are not user installable or replaceable........The AVHD is designed specifically for today's new Digital Cable Ready HDTV's.......the AVHD incorporates 5C encryption and is able to record authorized copy protected programming from DCR TV's.
What I'm concerned about is the "specially formatted" and the "5c content protection" parts.

Someone else has one of these (a 40GB dealer demo unit) and tried to access the HDD via a USB port. The O/S saw the device but couldn't read it or even show a drive letter. I am going to ask him to put it on a IDE bus and see if that does anything.

How can one figure out exactly what type of "formatting" this uses?
Attached Thumbnails
Accessing external DVRs' HDD & formatting for a larger drive-indigita-dvr10-avhd-recorder-02.jpg   Accessing external DVRs' HDD & formatting for a larger drive-indigita-dvr10-avhd-recorder-03.jpg   Accessing external DVRs' HDD & formatting for a larger drive-indigita-dvr10-avhd-recorder-05.jpg  
Old 18th November, 2005, 05:47 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

I **think** that seens as most of these things have a reset function, it is **probably** able to format a HDD for itself. So **if** you where to put in a different HDD it **might** format it by itself and work.

HTH.

Favu.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th November, 2005, 06:15 PM

Very interesting, BUT I would say the chances are the same as a snowballs chances in hell. Couldn't/wouldn't be that lucky.
Old 18th November, 2005, 06:24 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

We have a video editing system in my school that runs some bespoke 3.1-esque OS from its HDD, that has a little USB key to plug in the back that you use to wipe and re-format it. I would think that other HDD based stuff would have a similar function, I mean, what if the thing crashed? There would have to be some way to reset the HDD right? So it can very likely sort the HDD out for itself. Now most HDD work in the same way.. so with a bit of luck it would work. I don't think you would lose anything from trying

If you haven't got one yet, then ask the other guy who has one to try it.

Favu.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th November, 2005, 05:05 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce
I received a e-mail from Indigita and the relevent portion is as follows; What I'm concerned about is the "specially formatted" and the "5c content protection" parts.

How can one figure out exactly what type of "formatting" this uses?
Usually "Specially formatted" means they're not using a standard filesystem like NTFS or FAT16/32. They hint that the whole disk is encrypted, which might mean they're using something like DES to protect the contents.

Basically, you'd need to reverse engineer the information on the hard disk!