AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th November, 2005, 07:33 AM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alienware.com
Well, for one thing you dont compare a console to a PC.....and if you want to get down to the point the Xbox 360 processor actually is one of.. IF NOT the most powerful processor out.....it is a TRI-core processor running at 3.2 ghz per core that equals out to 9.6 ghz...so i dont care who you are that is a nasty processor in a console...the GPU is sick as well.....it can handle all Hi-Def resolutions at 500mhz....

So ide love to see you people go find the individual parts in the Xbox 360 and build a system under $426.11

And as for the PS3..yes it will be a nice console indeed....but sony will not be able to master the Cell processor....
There are a few problems with that. The Xbox360 does NOT run a 9.6Ghz processor.

In my hand I have a dual core MIPS R4000 RISC based computer, running at 333Mhz per core, also known as the Sony Playstation Portable. Saying that makes it a 666Mhz unit thats faster than my Pentium 3 600Mhz laptop is nonsense as there is no comparison.

Similarly, saying a 3 core 3.2Ghz chip, running a RISC PowerPC architecture is one of the most powerfull processors out is silly. You cannot compare it to a top end Athlon X2, because there is simply no way of accurately comparing them. And comparing it to supercomputer processors is silly as well. The fact is a powerfull RISC processor is far cheaper, and far easier to make than a powerfull CISC processor, and that is the main attraction.

Is the Xbox 360 better than a top end gaming computer? No. It isnt even close. But it isnt meant to be, its meant to be a cheap way of satisfying people that are less picky about their gaming experience.

As for Sony not being able to master cell? I dont quite understand what you mean by that. Its a PowerPC chip, made by IBM, using a multi core system, operating at 3.2Ghz. Exactly identical to the Xenon. The difference is in the multi core implementation of Cell. If they can handle Xenon, they can handle Cell.

I am sure ATI would be glad to know their R500 chip is "Sick" though.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th November, 2005, 11:28 AM

http://smashmyxbox.com/
Old 25th November, 2005, 11:44 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
As for Sony not being able to master cell? I dont quite understand what you mean by that. Its a PowerPC chip, made by IBM, using a multi core system, operating at 3.2Ghz. Exactly identical to the Xenon.
No, it's not any of those! The processors used in the PS3 are being made by Sony, not IBM. It's not a PowerPC chip - it just happens to have a single PowerPC core to co-ordinate the "Synergistic Processing Elements" (SPE). As far as I can ascertain, the PowerPC core is there to act as a supervisor to the SPE.

Each of the eight SPE are made up of a processing unit and an "SMF" unit (Anyone know what SMF actually stands for?). The SMF handles things like DMA, memory management and the bus. The processing unit is a RISC processor with 128bit SIMD (Single Instruction, Multiple Data) organisation. Each SPE has 256Kb of instruction and data memory (RAM), allowing it to process data independantly of the main system RAM. That's probably just as well, given that eight processors trying to hit the system RAM at the same time is going to cause a big bottleneck for bandwidth!
Old 25th November, 2005, 11:57 AM
Steve Jobs

The project is Sony / Ibm / Toshiba last time I heard :\
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th November, 2005, 12:16 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Yes, the project is Sony, IBM and Toshiba. However, the Cell Broadband Engine used in the PS3 is manufactured by Sony, not by IBM. Whereas, the processors used in the Revolution and the Xbox 360 are manufactured by IBM.

Either way, IBM's making money out of all the console!
Old 26th November, 2005, 12:25 AM

welcome to the forms both of you. Also just becuase adding the 3 numbers together doesn't mean that will be the core speen and thereforce compare it to an AMD of intel. Thats like saying that and 2.8 GHZ intel is the same as a Fx=57 (2.8 GHZ).
oops sory about posting so late I ddin't realize there was a secound page.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 26th November, 2005, 12:34 AM

Sony malking the most since everyones buying there HDTV's .
I think it will take a long time before the cell is fully devloped. I think now it is really completly rushed out. The summer launch rumors are completly false since I think the cell with replace most cureent procesessors since it allows a sytem's core not to be completly dependent on system RAM. I think in a year or so they will be the new dual core replacements.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 26th November, 2005, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkest
Thats just sick do they know how much $430 is. I'm trying to build my friend a computer for $400 and they throw it away. What ******* no onw should do that if they don't like the xbox they don't have to buy it.
GOOD JOB *******S!!!
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah