AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th December, 2005, 12:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to barneygumble742 Send a message via Yahoo to barneygumble742

laptop for animation?

hi,

i have a friend that's in video animation and he's looking to get a laptop for school and gaming. normally i'd give him suggestions but i don't know much about video cards for animation. his budget is a little over 2000.

anyone have any suggestions? what video chipset to look for?

thanks,
mark
32in + 24in LCD
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th December, 2005, 01:59 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

If he wishes to use a laptop for animation work, the boy ain't got his mind right. Hopefully, I got that wrong. For everyday work and gaming, a discreet Vidcard is needed. AFAIK, no built-in Vidcard is worth a hoot for gaming.

Sorry about the tone of this post. Seems my own mind isn't hitting on all eight.
Old 7th December, 2005, 02:02 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Some laptops do offer powerful graphic solutions however, don't expect anything from the battery.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th December, 2005, 02:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to barneygumble742 Send a message via Yahoo to barneygumble742

its just going to be a desktop replacement. i haven't seen him lately but i'm guessing its going to be for the moments when his parents kick him out of the house, he can take all his stuff over to his girlfriends house for the night. so far i said a p4 for raw power with atleast a gig of memory and thanks to external usb 2 HDs, storage isn't a problem. but the only remaining item is the video chipset.
32in + 24in LCD
Old 8th December, 2005, 09:33 PM

Alienware

Have him look into the higher end Alienware laptops.
I got the 7700 and it runs MAYA ans SolidWorks just fine.
Also It runs Battlefield 2 and call of duty 2 fantastic.
Mine has a HT P4 desktop style proc. And the nvidia 6800.
Ther new ones can have athalon 64s.
Sure you can do better in a desktop. But it is reasonable performance in a laptop case.