AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th December, 2005, 06:27 PM

Angry Help on Motherboards Overclocking

Hi everyone, for three months, I've been searching and reading about overclocking. And I've liked the idea very much. After almost everyday of two hours of searching through that period, I found myself confused with no answers about particular things.
So I thought that my last chance is to ask you. And I hope find some answers.

All I've found about overclocking are some beginners' tutorials, which say that overclocking is about increasing the frequency until such a device become unstable then increasing the voltage a little bit then increasing the frequency then ….. so on ( and of course you need good cooling)………. Now, if that was for the beginners so that is for experts, in other words, what can it go farther than that??!!.
Another point, is it true that as long as I can increase the frequencies and voltages and have a good cooling system, I will still gain speed and performance??!!.

While reading other guys overclocking results, I surprised that all the results were similar. I mean 2000 GHz CPU overcloked to 2800 or 2007, 2400 to 3100 or 3200, 3200 to 3900 or 4000. so why it's always the same values that can be gained despite of the differences between specs or coolers and whether it is Intel or AMD.!!!???

In fact, I get much interested in overclocking my GPU than CPU cause of games. But there are no much discussions about that over there. And if there are, so they don't talk about voltages raising , just about frequency, and no one of them reached my results (of course considering that they have the same card like mine). I have Asus Radeon 9550 128 Gamer edition I'm using Ati tools and get up to 460 MHz core , 280 MHz memory. And it's stable like rocks. Scored 4000 3dmark 03.

My motherboard doesn't support voltage value changing and only 4 X AGP. So do you think that I'll gain more performance for my AGP card if I get a new one? I'm planning about 800 MHz core, 600 MHz memory.

When I decided to buy a new overclocker MOBO I get back to Google and searched.
But no good news, a lot of MOBO and a lot of features and none of them tell how far the CPU, memory or AGP voltage can goes? A lot of choices but don't know what to buy. I thought you can help out.

My specs are (I got this machine three years ago): Intel P4 2.4B full cache, GA-8IR 533, Radeon 9550 128, 256 x2 DDR SpecTEC ram 333, PSU discovery 250 W (I've tolled that it's not enough for overclocking??????).

I know I've written a lot but I need to get a clear view about the topic.
I depend on you guys.
All responds will be much appreciated
Old 14th December, 2005, 07:25 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

First, Welcome to AOA. Look around, you'll find a lot of answers.

there is little advertizing about overclocking. You will not find any guarantees on how high a cpu or mobo or gpu will go. Some models perform better in general, but the components are only guaranteed and warranteed to run at spec. You can guestimate with a level of confidence tho... like some mobos have a lot of vdimm and vcore control, and more often than not, more potential. However, every mobo will have different results.

Voltage on GPUs are a different matter... Overclocking graphics cards involve using software that will change the speeds of the GPU and memory. Based on specific cards, there may be ways to push harder, either through a volt mod or bios hack. These are not a good idea to try unless you have a very strong expertise on the subject.

Based on your current specs, you can gain a lot through upgrades, but even with overclocking, the more you spend, the more performance you can hope for... Picking and choosing components carefully is the most critical piece to building a good performance rig.
Old 14th December, 2005, 09:49 PM

overclock your GPU before CPU CPU is a lot harder. ANyway no matter how expert you are we all OC the same way
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th December, 2005, 11:02 PM
Alien Clones Champion

Location: Queensland Australia ''Oh'' the beauitful sunny coast!
Send a message via MSN to QSDT

I think the reason that many of the increases eg 2000, 2400 etc, are of similar values is because with the avalible multiplier settings and FSB there are set combinations which work better for some reason!
Monitor Dell 24'' 2407WFP ''WOW that's all I can say''

Why is Phonetic not spelt Phonetically, and why is the word Abbreviation so long?

My Ex gives 100% sound adivce, 99% sound, 1% adivce.

69% of all statistics are made up!

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th December, 2005, 05:28 PM

Question

First, thanks for sharing for all of you
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
... like some mobos have a lot of vdimm and vcore control, and more often than not, more potential. However, every mobo will have different results.
so please can you recommend some overclocker MOBOs for my CPU, I think I'll stick with mine for a while. because of the limite budget of mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
Overclocking graphics cards involve using software that will change the speeds of the GPU and memory. Based on specific cards, there may be ways to push harder, either through a volt mod or bios hack.
well, I couldn't find such a program that can increase my GPU's voltage. you can only change the AGP one??

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcatmk3
overclock your GPU before CPU CPU is a lot harder
I think it's easier to oveclock CPU than GPU, in other words, you will gain much more percentage of perfomance by over clocking the CPU. Although both are easy to do as a process
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSDT
I think the reason that many of the increases eg 2000, 2400 etc, are of similar values is because with the avalible multiplier settings and FSB there are set combinations which work better for some reason!
it sounds reasonable.
any more suggestions or ideas are welcome
Old 15th December, 2005, 09:10 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

For choice of mobos, you are looking at a lot of possibilities, so let's get it managable first... You want a socket 478 mobo, with AGP, and DDR. THe best best is an i865 chipset.... There are a lot of choices.. Good brands to look at are Epox, Asus and Abit.

Regarding the Graphics, software will not give you voltage control... You should be able to up the speed on the GPU and memory tho... go as far as you can without losing stability. Test each component separately if possible.
Old 21st December, 2005, 06:30 PM

i865 ...ok but, what about i875