AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th December, 2005, 09:23 PM

Windows shutting down....or not.

Wasn't sure where to put this so i put it here.

Anyway, whenever i go to shutdown or restart my computer it just gets stuck at saying windows is shutting down your computer and nothing more happens. So i have to manually turn it off myself. I have just installed a new motherboard ram and processor into my case yesterday and this is the only problem i have faced!

Anybody help?
Old 15th December, 2005, 10:04 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

There is probably a driver that you have installed that isn't shutting down correctly. At least, that has been my experience in the past.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th December, 2005, 10:06 PM

How would i go about finding out which one it is if it is that?
Old 15th December, 2005, 10:12 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I just KNEW you were going to ask that!

Start uninstalling stuff 'till it works? That's the only way I've ever found.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th December, 2005, 11:04 PM

lol :P

But what if its not that and something else? grr i guess there's only one way to find out
Old 16th December, 2005, 12:44 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

Try Control panel\Administrative tools\event viewer - Application adn system sectins...and if you see any application or driver crash that you can recognize and repair/uninstall ...then you should be set.
Cheers!
Old 16th December, 2005, 05:44 AM

Windows shutting down

I had a problem with Zone Alarm Security Suite hanging it up. I found it by using control-alternate-delete (simultaneously), then going to task manager, then applications. This will show a list of what is still running, and could be the problem. Then you have to decide what to do with the application that is the culprit. I use the deep six option - then get an alternate..
Old 16th December, 2005, 08:34 AM

It says the source is nview_info which is chipset drivers or something???
Old 16th December, 2005, 04:27 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

update, your reinstall your video card driver. (I'm assuming your using an Nvidia card)
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 16th December, 2005, 05:03 PM

Tried reinstalling and then updating and still nothing
Old 16th December, 2005, 05:13 PM
AOA Staff

You'll need to go through every driver.

Also, how long do you wait before killing the power? Sometimes it will hang for 5 minutes or so, but will shut down eventually.
Old 16th December, 2005, 05:42 PM

Windows Shutting down -- or not

Sometimes the abundant utility software that comes with a video card can be an issue. If you installed all of it then you might try uninstalling all the software, and then only installing the drivers, by letting Windows find new hardware and extract it from the install disk or the internet (Windows Update). If this works, then you can re try the software, assuming you need it.
Old 16th December, 2005, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
Also, how long do you wait before killing the power? Sometimes it will hang for 5 minutes or so, but will shut down eventually.
I have waited at the most about 5 or 6 minutes.

I have also only installed the driver for my graphics card and no extra software!

EDIT: Just got this in the event viewer

"Windows saved user RAWRR\Hyde registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account."

what does this mean?

Last edited by HydE; 16th December, 2005 at 05:58 PM.
Old 17th December, 2005, 12:29 AM

that sounds to me like spywhere buy your going to have to wait for gizmos answer he'll know.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 17th December, 2005, 12:47 AM

Well it was a brand new mobo and processor and i had had it less than 3 hours so i don't htink it was spyware

So i decided to reformat again and restart my comp after everychange i make. Funnily enough its as soon as i install my chipset drivers that the problem occurs. (When installing Ethernet, GART and IDE) So i just went back to a restore point and decided to go on without installing the chipset drivers. I've now installed sp2 and all of the following updates and also my video card drivers aswell as my sound card drivers without it hanging on shutdown.

So what i'm wondering now is if it fine to continue without installing those chipset drivers? I'm not using the onboard ethernet, i'm using another i have in my pci slot so that isn't needed and the other things arn't posing a problem for me, but i'm a noob at computers so please could you tell me if i'm sadly mistaken?

thanks again
Old 17th December, 2005, 12:50 AM

the drivers could be corrupt I would look on the internet for the newer drivers.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 17th December, 2005, 06:56 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydE
Well it was a brand new mobo and processor and i had had it less than 3 hours so i don't htink it was spyware

Five seconds on the Web with no firewall, AV or anti-spyware software in place is enough to get hosed--if your ISP has no good quality firewall in place. Sigh.
Is this a Via chipset? If not, it's possible that Win XP will install its own chipset drivers which will work OK.
Old 18th December, 2005, 12:09 AM

Mobo Drivers

I remember somewhere that Microsoft says to do the Windows updates before anything else. Maybe once they are done, the chipset drivers can be installed and not have issues.
Old 18th December, 2005, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart
I remember somewhere that Microsoft says to do the Windows updates before anything else. Maybe once they are done, the chipset drivers can be installed and not have issues.
Well thats what i have now done but to be on the safe side i downloaded the latest nforce 3 drivers from the nvidia site and everything is working great. Havn't had a freeze once and i've got my display drivers, sound drivers and apps installed and running. Also installed HL2, Doom 3 and cs and have been playing all day and not seen a hitch so i think problem is solved.

Thanks for all the help guys