AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st December, 2005, 04:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to barneygumble742 Send a message via Yahoo to barneygumble742

seagate buys maxtor

does this mean that seagate's quality will diminish?
32in + 24in LCD
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st December, 2005, 05:40 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I hopeth that Maxtor's quality will be improvedeth. I've bought many Seagates but not a single Maxtor.
Old 21st December, 2005, 06:23 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

(dum, dum, dum,.....another one bites the dust!)

I've actually had pretty good luck with Maxtor drives. Seagates, well, I used to call them 'Trashgates' for a reason. To be fair, Seagates high end drives (the Barracudas and Cheetahs) are good drives, as well as some of their lower-end stuff (the Wren, originally a CDC drive). However other drives, like their Hawk and Medallist brands, are absolute rubbish. I've never had one of those drives last me more than a year. Rather like Western Digital Caviars, actually.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st December, 2005, 08:08 PM

Maxtors are the only brand i have ever owned. I have one in fact in an old Pentium 166 machine ata66 that is like 6 or 7 years old still used daily. I have never had one fail. I have 3 in wifeys XP2600 and 3 in my A64 too.
EVGA 7800GTXs 512mb SLI @ 591/1.75ghz
Soundblaster Live X gamer
2x30gb Maxtor IDE Raid 0 System
160bg Maxtor IDE Storage
Westinghouse 32 in LCD
Old 21st December, 2005, 08:16 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Hmm... Until lately, all the super sale mega rebate drives appeared to be Maxtor... Hence, I've got quite a few modern maxtors.

With the trend to reduce warrantees, I've attempted to focus on the 5y Seagates... No complaints. I suspect that in addition to future cost savings, they will want to continue both brand names in order to capitalize on the brand name recognition factor. In general, maxtors are known for value, and seagate for quality at the high end. It could line up with the market segmentation for seagate supplying servers, and the higher end, with maxtor in the retail low end consumer segment.
Old 21st December, 2005, 08:29 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

I have a seagate, the screws that came with it have stripped the threading in the soft aluminium chassis :/ still works fine, is loose though :/

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 21st December, 2005, 10:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to barneygumble742 Send a message via Yahoo to barneygumble742

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
they will want to continue both brand names in order to capitalize on the brand name recognition factor.
i don't think so. from the article it sounded like the name maxtor will cease to exist and all of maxtors employees will now become seagates employees. it sounds more like an expansion than an acquisition.

all my maxtors have failed and the only segate i owned had the click of death. i prefer caviars and raptors.
32in + 24in LCD
Old 22nd December, 2005, 12:04 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

lol every WD drive i have had either died, or got REAL loud. the maxtors have stayed quiet, and alive, except one that recently started to make noise, and my seagates are flawless. I prefer seagate, by and far, but maxtor's are generally cheaper, and a bit more plentiful in stock numbers, at least locally.

This could bring some real good, however it could greatly harm both companies as well. Seeing how this places are where regular people work at, and have families to feed, and not some "ultra-mega-corporate-entity", i'm sure we will see some good things in the future.
Old 22nd December, 2005, 06:10 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favu
I have a seagate, the screws that came with it have stripped the threading in the soft aluminium chassis :/ still works fine, is loose though :/

I don't know why Seagate and other manufacturers persist in using what appears to be pure aluminum for their drive casings. The threads in the mounting holes strip when you look at them, no screwdriver needed. They should use an alloy(oh, the expense! What expense, we pay it?) or brass inserts. Grr.
Old 22nd December, 2005, 07:24 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

They use aluminum for the drive housing because it is an efficient conductor of heat. The drive mount is a significant part of how drives keep from overheating. Believe it or not, there is a significant amount of friction between a platter spinning at 7200 (or 10,000) RPM and the air inside the enclosure, which produces a large amount of heat. That, coupled with the heat produced by the drive electronics itself, has to go somewhere, and the easiest way to get rid of it is to conduct it to the drive frame and then to the mount.
Old 22nd December, 2005, 11:17 PM

I like maxtors and WD I've never seen one fail.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 22nd December, 2005, 11:45 PM

Every Maxtor I've ever seen was crap, and I've had one of every brand fail on me but Seagate. Was a BIG Western Digital fan until my Raptor turned out to be the thing that was causing all of my computer's woes. The other HD is still flawless...but that one bad one was enough to piss me off into using Seagate from now on.
Old 23rd December, 2005, 12:08 AM

I've always had Seagates. There's an 8GB Barracuda in the PC that i donated to my mother! (that thing was top of the range back in the day!!) It's still going strong to this day! It must be atleast 6-7 years old now!

I have 2 barracudas in this machine and they are brilliant quiet drives. I always recomend Barracudas to anyone.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 2.4Ghz
2x 2GB OCZ Hiper 1066mhz
ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB
Samsung Syncmaster 15"

Apple Macbook Pro
15'' Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz
X1600 Mobility Radeon
Boot camp Mac os X/Vista

AOA Team fah
Old 23rd December, 2005, 07:35 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
They use aluminum for the drive housing because it is an efficient conductor of heat. The drive mount is a significant part of how drives keep from overheating. Believe it or not, there is a significant amount of friction between a platter spinning at 7200 (or 10,000) RPM and the air inside the enclosure, which produces a large amount of heat. That, coupled with the heat produced by the drive electronics itself, has to go somewhere, and the easiest way to get rid of it is to conduct it to the drive frame and then to the mount.

Thank you for the explanation, Gizmo. All well and good, but when the drive hangs from two mounting screws and the other two have nice loose screws in them, I fail to see the advantage in heat transfer.
Brass inserts, demand them. Maybe the HDD manufacturers will come around in seven years or so. Until then I mount a drive cooler under Seagates.
Old 23rd December, 2005, 08:09 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters
Thank you for the explanation, Gizmo. All well and good, but when the drive hangs from two mounting screws and the other two have nice loose screws in them, I fail to see the advantage in heat transfer.
Brass inserts, demand them. Maybe the HDD manufacturers will come around in seven years or so. Until then I mount a drive cooler under Seagates.
Hmm.........

I hate to be argumentative (well, ok, not really ), but if you are ham-fisted enough to strip that aluminum out, the brass inserts probably aren't going to help you all that much.

Granted, the total impact to the cost of the drive would probably be less that $5 at the retail level, but the storage business is intensely competitive. That $5 can mean the difference between Seagate buying Maxtor and vice-versa. The cost difference is not the kind of thing that you can readily explain to your average price-conscious shopper, who's main interest is in browsing the Internet.
Old 24th December, 2005, 01:46 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

I think I've had drives from all manufacturers fail. However, HP managed the best customer service by sending out a courier the next day to drop a new drive off and pick the failed one up. Mind you, that was an HP SCSI drive (not a rebranded drive). IBM and Seagate were ok, taking a few weeks to return. Quantum were the worst, taking nearly three months to return the drive. Last WD drive I used was actually a whole batch of drives (>32). About 1-3 months into their life they started failing, presumably due to a manufacturing fault.

I've not had an issue with stripping the thread on Seagate drives across several drives. It does sound like you might be trying to excessively tighten the screws.
Old 24th December, 2005, 02:17 AM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Heh, no I'm not. It was my first "New" HDD, my 2 second hand drives, made by fujitsu, have been mounted and remounted many more times, and are fine, I think that the aluminium was weak, perhaps they do use an alloy, and later switched to a tougher compound.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM