AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th December, 2005, 10:36 AM

Send a message via MSN to Hoppster

Memory upgrade worth it?

Hi,

First of all merry xmas.

With boxing day sales now on, was wondering whats the best upgrade i could give my PC to play the games better. HL2 and BF2 mainly.

There seems to be a lot of hard drive activity on my machine loading and closing down these games, ive only got EIDE drives. Would a memory upgrade from 1 to 2 gig make much difference?

I dont think the cpu is the bottleneck (amd64 3200) as taskmanager has it on 30 % when the hard drive is working flat out. Think my Graphics card is OK - GF6600GT.

So what do ya reckon, should i try for 2 gig of ram, otherwise its a more serious = expensive upgrade.

And anyone know what performance increase i would expect by doubling the ram?
2 x 200GB Western Digital
Dual Boot XP32 bit Home Edition
Vista Beta 2 Release 5308 64 bit

"You cant help a bit of bad luck now and again"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th December, 2005, 04:52 PM

With A Gig, HL2 is the sweet spot. BF2 however is starved for more RAM, so the more the better.
Honestly, your going to see a better preformance increase if you upgrade your GPU instead of your RAM.
Old 26th December, 2005, 08:03 AM

Send a message via MSN to Hoppster

Red face Faster GPU?

I thought the 6600GT was pretty good, so will a better one speed up the hard drive lag on startup and particulary shutdown.

BF2 seems to take forever to shut down.

thought mabee the extra gig will take some load ogff the hdd.

But - if a better gpu will make more diference, mabee thats the way i will go.

Do they make a 7800 in AGP?
2 x 200GB Western Digital
Dual Boot XP32 bit Home Edition
Vista Beta 2 Release 5308 64 bit

"You cant help a bit of bad luck now and again"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th December, 2005, 04:40 PM

No. But the 6800GS has just been released. However, it's worse than a 6800GT so probably not worth it.
X800GTO would be good - however only if you can find either the Sapphire GTO2 or Connect 3D versions. Then you can unlock their pipelines and they are then better than a 6800GT yet will only cost £140.
Apart from that, I can't think of anything that would be really better than your 6600GT. Don't be tempted in BF2 to turn the eye candy on, keep your res at 1280x1024 to match a 17" TFT and turn everything down until it's a smotoh average FPS of 30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 26th December, 2005, 05:00 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

I can run BF2 with maxxed out eye candy and keep a smooth framerate, and I have a Barton 2800+ where as you have an Athlon64 3200+, which should be faster.

I also have a AGP 6600GT and a gig of RAM, so our systems seem to be pretty similar.

Have you tried defragging / making sure that no pointless stuff (IE MSN messenger or whatever) is running when you game? That could give you a decent boost, and maybe eliminate the longer load times. Oh and I have an IDE drive too

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 26th December, 2005, 06:08 PM

@ Pumpkin

The 6800GS is very much on par with a 6800GT, check alot of benchmarks.
Not to mention it consumes a little less juice. However the 6800GT has a little more headroom for overclocks.

If you have a Gig now, then dont worry. Focus on your GPU before your RAM.