AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th January, 2006, 02:47 PM

Intels Pentium D 900 has TDP and EIST bug...

Hey

It would seem that Intels Pentium D 900 is rather buggy. Read the article.

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/9256

Imo Intel still hasn't learned that hitting the market with a too fast released product can have severe consequences (cfr. Itanium). I'd like to hear what you guys think.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th January, 2006, 07:53 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I so hate to bad mouth Intel. Do they have any excuse to release shoddy processors? Greed isn't a justification.
Old 9th January, 2006, 08:16 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Front Page, Wolf2000me! www.aoaforums.com

Thanks for the headsup!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th January, 2006, 08:39 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Same old story.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 9th January, 2006, 09:03 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

I'd put it to you that the particular bug in this instance is not such a show stopper. For those who think that Intel is bad, just take a look at the errata for AMD's Athlon 64/Opteron processors! You can find it here
Old 9th January, 2006, 10:41 PM

Holy moly!

-and i only just scan read that Aedan. Reading 67 errata completely would have taken quite some time

Tom
Old 9th January, 2006, 10:44 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Actually, that's not all that bad. I remember some of the Motorola errata sheets for the old 68000 family had over 100 entries.
Old 10th January, 2006, 02:38 AM

Hmm I look back to the FDIV bug *shudders*

Not suprising. Then again, anything with Hyperthreading also has those big issues with FreeBSD....remember?
Old 10th January, 2006, 04:12 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

So what's the solution when defects hit the selves and make into our hands? Must drive programmers crazy if I'm right in assuming they have to take up the slack?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 10th January, 2006, 04:35 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Sigh

In the case of programmers, as with most things, you have two camps: the "I'm just here to get a paycheck' camp, and the "I TOLD you that was a bad idea!" camp.

Generally, the former makes the mess and the later get flogged to clean it up. Until they decide that they would rather work somewhere else.....
Old 10th January, 2006, 05:27 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

So general indifference saves their sanity...I've seen a lot of that! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 10th January, 2006, 05:40 PM

Intel said some time back that Presler would not have these features until 2Q/06. I, for one, could care less for those particular features.