AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st February, 2006, 07:07 PM
AOA Staff

HP2550Ln Colour LaserJet

I finally bought a cheap colour laser printer, the HP2550Ln.

It's all set-up and working fine. I'm using the ethernet port which is connected to my router.

So far so good!

Best to use "automatic colour profiles"? See screenie.
Attached Thumbnails
HP2550Ln Colour LaserJet-hp2550ln.jpg   HP2550Ln Colour LaserJet-shot1.gif  
Old 21st February, 2006, 08:51 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

The driver probably has a built-in profile for the printer anyhow. It looks a *lot* smaller than the Colour LaserJet 4550n I've recently fixed.

That reminds me - I need to create a new profile for my current inkjet. Even good replacement inks seem to provide a bit of a colour cast.
Old 21st February, 2006, 09:00 PM
AOA Staff

I don't know what a 4550n looks like. But, my 2550 does look quite small in that photo. Bulk and weight wise it is comparable to the 21" CRT which was sat there before.

It's a little clunky sounding when in use, but no more than I would have expected at this price! In any case, sound proofing can add a lot of weight.
Old 21st February, 2006, 09:09 PM

See below for the 4550DN (I'd forgotten the model had a duplex unit). It's about 50x70x58cm in size, and it's too heavy for one person to lift - about 50KG or so. Oh, and it's a little noisy too!

Image from printerworks.com
Attached Images

Old 21st February, 2006, 09:25 PM
AOA Staff

I find that, with this and other colour lasers, I have to adjust image brightness by about +15%.

I mean if I take a large HQ product image, which looks perfect on-screen, it will be too dark on paper.

I'm using OpenOffice Draw and haven't seen any quick and easy way to make this adjustment. I'm having to edit the image in PSP and drop it back in to the document.
Old 21st February, 2006, 09:26 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

You might be able to make the calibration in your printer driver?

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st February, 2006, 09:33 PM
AOA Staff

Possibly, but I've never found a way.

With MS Publisher you can adjust an image brightness in its properties. Seems to be no way of doing that in OpenOffice.
Old 22nd February, 2006, 10:26 AM

I might be able to produce a calibration file for your printer that might help. However, it would require sending things through royal mail!
Old 22nd February, 2006, 03:49 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

There are many different color profiles that you can use, hell you can even build your own. But I would stick to the stock one and tweek that if you like.

Just remember if you want BRIGHT pictures that JUMP off the page.... use a bright white paper. One with at least a 100 lum rating. You know what they say... crap in, crap out!!
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd February, 2006, 04:35 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

So that's the reason my letters and documents aren't muy bueno. Expensive paper is the answer. Yay.
Old 22nd February, 2006, 04:40 PM
AOA Staff

Good point. I'll have to go get some different types of paper and see what works best.
Old 22nd February, 2006, 05:24 PM

Yes. When producing calibration files, I generally produce one per type of paper, as long as the ink/toner remains constant.
Old 26th February, 2006, 12:28 AM
AOA Staff

The control panel with a browser based interface is very useful.
Attached Thumbnails
HP2550Ln Colour LaserJet-hp.gif   HP2550Ln Colour LaserJet-hp2.gif   HP2550Ln Colour LaserJet-hp3.gif  

Last edited by danrok; 26th February, 2006 at 12:38 AM.
Old 26th February, 2006, 08:41 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Looks like you have some room to upgrade the memory. I would!! You'll probably notice faster processing times (RIP) Raster Image Processing on larger files (ie photo's)
HTH
AOA Team fah
Old 26th February, 2006, 11:55 AM
AOA Staff

Found a DIMM here:
http://www.offtek.co.uk/product.php?...urce=Dealtime3

The 128MB one (C9121A).
Old 26th February, 2006, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie
I would!! You'll probably notice faster processing times (RIP) Raster Image Processing on larger files (ie photo's)
I took the HP4550DN from 64MB RAM up to 192MB RAM. I noticed no difference in performance. Still, 128MB of PC133 memory lying around needed to be used.
Old 26th February, 2006, 07:22 PM
AOA Staff

Were you doing a windows test page?!?!? he hee
AOA Team fah
Old 26th February, 2006, 07:49 PM
AOA Staff

Robbie, is it possible to remanufacture/refill the toner carts myself using big bottles of toner?
Old 26th February, 2006, 08:54 PM
AOA Staff

You'd have to be 1000% sure that the toner is for your machine. You'd have an AWFUL mess putting positive toner in a Negative toner machine!!! (I've seen it)
AOA Team fah
Old 26th February, 2006, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie
Were you doing a windows test page?!?!? he hee
Full A4 colour print... er, and Postscript fractals.

Tags
hands-on , laserjet , printing