AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th March, 2002, 11:31 PM

Send a message via ICQ to FerrariF50 Send a message via AIM to FerrariF50 Send a message via Yahoo to FerrariF50

Cool Thinking about getting a Gf4 and other stuff...

In my updated system.. A Amd Duron 1.2Ghz and a Pny Gf4 or a VisionTek one.. I mean I love my Radeon..But their some stupid bug in half-life.. It messes the thing up... I might get a Lcd Flat screen..but right now I'm unsure of that... Don't really see some great looking models out..

------------------------------------------------
:My System:

Amd 1.1Ghz ThunderBird

128Mb Ram
Windows Xp Pro
16.6 Gig Ibm drive
5.6Gig Maxtor drive
Hitachi Gd-2500 dvd-rom drive
Sony CRX-140E Cd Writer
TDK 52/24/48 Cd Writer
Ibm/Sony G94 Monitor 19"
Yamaha YST-MS201 speakers
Intel PII450Mhz <-------Server computer
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th March, 2002, 07:38 AM

Send a message via ICQ to FerrariF50 Send a message via AIM to FerrariF50 Send a message via Yahoo to FerrariF50

So what do you think?? what other stuff should I upgrade??

My system as of now....

PII 450Mhz
128Mb Ram
16.6Gb hard drive
5.6Gb hard drive
Hatichi Dvd-rom drive
Sony CRX-140e 8/4/32 cd writer
Sony 19" Monitor
Yamaha 30W 2.1 speakers
Herc. Formissmo II
Ati Radeon 32Mb sdr Pci..

Amd 1.1Ghz ThunderBird

128Mb Ram
Windows Xp Pro
16.6 Gig Ibm drive
5.6Gig Maxtor drive
Sony CRX-140E Cd Writer
TDK 52/24/48 Cd Writer
Ibm/Sony G94 Monitor 19"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th March, 2002, 07:49 AM
AOA Staff

it looks pretty balanced right now If I were you I would start lookin to move up to DDR memory next , course that means board-chip-ram, and prooly avid card too,, aw what the hell, give that one to granny and start from scratch
Old 8th March, 2002, 08:50 AM

lol I might be starting from the ground up....Compusa is selling Soyo Dragon boards now..I think they have DDR ram but does Compusa sell DDR ram?? All I know is they never can keep that mobo in stock...I all ready have my Soyo SY-K7VTA Pro.. It can support all the way to a Amd Xp 1800+ I think with a Bios update...

Amd 1.1Ghz ThunderBird

128Mb Ram
Windows Xp Pro
16.6 Gig Ibm drive
5.6Gig Maxtor drive
Sony CRX-140E Cd Writer
TDK 52/24/48 Cd Writer
Ibm/Sony G94 Monitor 19"
Old 8th March, 2002, 12:56 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by FerrariF50
lol I might be starting from the ground up....Compusa is selling Soyo Dragon boards now..I think they have DDR ram but does Compusa sell DDR ram?? All I know is they never can keep that mobo in stock...I all ready have my Soyo SY-K7VTA Pro.. It can support all the way to a Amd Xp 1800+ I think with a Bios update...
Yeah, it's a KT133A board, so you should be able to just stick an Athlon XP in it after updating BIOS.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 8th March, 2002, 01:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to ItHuNkPuNk

The only gf4 worth my even considering is the Ti 4600.. MX just doesn't cut it
Old 8th March, 2002, 02:35 PM

If your using your PC for gaming then DDR memory is the way to go.

Increasing my memory bandwith has made a significant diference to gaming FPS

If your overclocking a XP then you will need a good PSU.

In your position id be tempted to replace almost everything and keep the P3 running as a backup.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 9th March, 2002, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Holst
If your using your PC for gaming then DDR memory is the way to go.

Increasing my memory bandwith has made a significant diference to gaming FPS

If your overclocking a XP then you will need a good PSU.

In your position id be tempted to replace almost everything and keep the P3 running as a backup.
lol it's a PII and I'm going to keep it as a back up...And all goes well with the Amd system..I might build a 3rd system... and network it all up...But here comes the problem....I think...It would most likely have to be wireless...Because the 3rd computer would be in the basement.. It's finnished off down their.. but the thing is I can't run Cat5 wire up 2 flights of stairs... would the wiressless one work as well?

Amd 1.1Ghz ThunderBird

128Mb Ram
Windows Xp Pro
16.6 Gig Ibm drive
5.6Gig Maxtor drive
Sony CRX-140E Cd Writer
TDK 52/24/48 Cd Writer
Ibm/Sony G94 Monitor 19"
Old 9th March, 2002, 05:37 AM
Banned

I think the thread on this over at OC'ers.com was right, a 1.2 duron and a GF4 is not exactly kosher. Kinda like putting a honda engine in a Porsche. It will go, but it works better with something more powerful under the hood. Even a Tbird 1.0 would be preferable over the duron.

My duron does well because I don't require it to do any graphics, if I did it wouldn't cut it IMHO.
Old 9th March, 2002, 07:40 AM

They had a Athlon their..I just forgot to look at the speed... I know the Duron said 1.2Ghz... I think the Athlon might be around the same...thats the limit for my mobo untill I flash it with a Bios update to be able to use a Amd Xp 1800+..

Amd 1.1Ghz ThunderBird

128Mb Ram
Windows Xp Pro
16.6 Gig Ibm drive
5.6Gig Maxtor drive
Sony CRX-140E Cd Writer
TDK 52/24/48 Cd Writer
Ibm/Sony G94 Monitor 19"
Old 9th March, 2002, 05:15 PM
Member/OES

Send a message via ICQ to Dr_Romulus

You keep mentioning CompUSSR as the place you are looking for you stuff. What is the reason for that???

You would be MUCH better off buying from www.newegg.com man. The only thing I get from CompUSSR anymore is little crap and CDR's.

My Heatware

Email me here
Old 10th March, 2002, 02:40 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Yarr. CompUSA is only good for sales on blank CD-R's, WD hard drives and... Maybe other things if you watch their sales like a hawk.

Buying from online etailers seems a bit weird and possibly dangerous at first. As long as the etailer rates 6.0 or above at www.resellerratings.com, you're OK. All things being equal, and if people haven't used RR for stacking the consumer confidence rating. If an etailer has comments that extend over a period of 18 months, it's usually safe. And ask here, first!

The only component that needs your full attention atm is RAM. 256 Mb is now considered standard. At least by those in the know. It sucks that the RAM manufacturer's made under the table agreements with each other that resulted in the recent 100% boost in RAM prices.

I really can't blame them. They were all losing money for at least a year, and were in danger of bankruptcy. Depending on whose accountants to believe!

As plain old PC-133 is going dinosaur, buying more of it for your present boxes is questionable policy.
Old 10th March, 2002, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr_Romulus
You keep mentioning CompUSSR as the place you are looking for you stuff. What is the reason for that???

You would be MUCH better off buying from www.newegg.com man. The only thing I get from CompUSSR anymore is little crap and CDR's.
Yet me use your Visa Card then I will use Newegg.com Other then that it's Compusa for me

Amd 1.1Ghz ThunderBird

128Mb Ram
Windows Xp Pro
16.6 Gig Ibm drive
5.6Gig Maxtor drive
Sony CRX-140E Cd Writer
TDK 52/24/48 Cd Writer
Ibm/Sony G94 Monitor 19"
Old 10th March, 2002, 03:33 AM
Member/OES

Quote:
Originally posted by FerrariF50

Yet me use your Visa Card then I will use Newegg.com Other then that it's Compusa for me
You give me the cash plus 10% for a usage fee and I'll buy you anything you want.

Seriously, see if someone will buy it for you if you give them the cash. It'll save you a ton of jack. Or find ut if you can get a VISA check card from your bank.:-D

My Heatware

Email me here
Old 10th March, 2002, 03:37 AM

Quote:

You give me the cash plus 10% for a usage fee and I'll buy you anything you want.

Seriously, see if someone will buy it for you if you give them the cash. It'll save you a ton of jack. Or find ut if you can get a VISA check card from your bank.:-D
lol I don't have a Checking account set up yet... Don't you have to be 18 or so for that? If so I have to wait untill November 27th thats when I turn 18 Giveing them the cash wont work with my mom lol she still refuses to buy something that high priced...LOL she's not like us

Amd 1.1Ghz ThunderBird

128Mb Ram
Windows Xp Pro
16.6 Gig Ibm drive
5.6Gig Maxtor drive
Sony CRX-140E Cd Writer
TDK 52/24/48 Cd Writer
Ibm/Sony G94 Monitor 19"
Old 10th March, 2002, 03:45 AM
Member/OES

God damn I forget some of you guys can't get a checking account yet...

Well, just think of how much you could buy if you saved it all up until your birthday!!

My Heatware

Email me here
Old 10th March, 2002, 05:34 AM

Quote:
God damn I forget some of you guys can't get a checking account yet...

Well, just think of how much you could buy if you saved it all up until your birthday!!
LOL well this summer I'm going to be working at a school...last year I got 1 paycheck of $222.. Heheh that got me a Ati Readon 32Mb Pci and a Herc. Forissmo II sound card... I really gotta get anotherhard drive...I think i'm going to get that 160Gb Maxtor.. it may be $199 now but I think it's woth it...people tell me they wished that they got a larger hard drive then buying 2 drives..also I'm paying in cash but hey lol look at the good side it makes me look like a big man! LOL! Going to replace my Case with that Antec Server case with the cover over the front...Maybe mod it a little bit... Then when my Birthday comes... Whooo! I get to order from NEwegg.com I can't wait! I hear so many good stuff about their and their prices are nice! But this is the way I gotta do it right now but it will be better.. I never had a Nivida before :nervous: But I'm sure it will be nice lol at least I will have a mobo that will have a Agp slot So I know I need more Memory..I think my New soyo can take a max of 1GB of memory..Not DDR... But thats ok..Because i plan on changeing the mobo later.. I should also get a Faster Cd writer as well...Sense my mom wants one... I will give her mine.. Then someware out of all this I have to find a way to fit in to buy a Digital Camera that Cost $499...:nervous: But my main thing is to get the Amd cpu and some memory...OH!! and a larger PSU! My 125watt is not going to cut it! Allmost forgot about that...

Amd 1.1Ghz ThunderBird

128Mb Ram
Windows Xp Pro
16.6 Gig Ibm drive
5.6Gig Maxtor drive
Sony CRX-140E Cd Writer
TDK 52/24/48 Cd Writer
Ibm/Sony G94 Monitor 19"
Old 10th March, 2002, 04:40 PM
Member/OES

Holy crap!!! 125 Watt PSU???

You better make that Chieftech (Antec, whatever...) your 1st priority man. You put any AMD/Soyo combo onto a 125 Watter and yer gonna kiss that chip goodbye. You need AT LEAST 300 if not 400 Watts to be safe (since you will OC, I assume).

You are better off spending a bit more money on a quality PSU first, your many many upgrades to follow will thank you.

My Heatware

Email me here
Old 10th March, 2002, 09:29 PM

I found a 500Watt..Thats good enough for the Amd Duron 1.2 For now..

Amd 1.1Ghz ThunderBird

128Mb Ram
Windows Xp Pro
16.6 Gig Ibm drive
5.6Gig Maxtor drive
Sony CRX-140E Cd Writer
TDK 52/24/48 Cd Writer
Ibm/Sony G94 Monitor 19"
Old 10th March, 2002, 09:32 PM
Member/OES

LOL

with 500 Watt I could run 2 systems... I don't think you will be needing any more for a long long time.

Where did you find it, what is the brand and how much?

My Heatware

Email me here