AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th March, 2006, 08:25 PM
AOA Staff

The board should just pull straight off. Have you tried that?
Old 16th March, 2006, 08:25 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Just gently pull the board straight back off the neck of the monitor until the pins are clear of the socket. The gently push it back on until it is seated. Rinse and repeat. A couple of cylces should be plenty. You don't want to do too much because the sockets aren't terribly robust.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th March, 2006, 09:09 PM
AOA Staff

If its laying down like in the picture...
Which direction will it come off?
Towards the bottom, top, left, right?

thanks again for your help everyone.
If this doesn't work I'm still thankful for the experience.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th March, 2006, 10:18 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

The picture shows the neck board at the top of the picture, so you would pull the neck board off the tube, towards the top of the picture. There isn't but one way it will come off. It may be siliconed onto the tube with some white silicone rubber, which you will have to break loose, but that won't be a big deal.
Old 16th March, 2006, 10:47 PM
AOA Staff

Cool, thanks Gizmo. I'll try that tonight and update you with what happend.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 17th March, 2006, 01:19 AM

Send a message via MSN to WonderBread Send a message via Yahoo to WonderBread

i dont mean to steal your thread booman but i have a Sun Microsystems 24in widescreen CRT. when i have a window open or if i am looking at text, to the right of it there is like a...ghosting, or rippling...i guess you would call it...and no matter how bright or dark i make the monitor its always there...any clues as to why it does this?
Old 17th March, 2006, 01:36 AM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Is your monitor near to anything with an electric motor - ie case fans or that?

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 17th March, 2006, 01:37 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Do you have a fan or speaker setting next to it? Maybe even a powercord?
Old 17th March, 2006, 01:37 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

LOL @ FAVU

Looks like we cross-posted the same thing.
Old 17th March, 2006, 01:44 AM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Great minds think alike!

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 17th March, 2006, 02:18 AM

none
Old 17th March, 2006, 02:52 AM

heres the best pic i can take given that its a CRT
Attached Thumbnails
21" HP monitor goes blurry all of a sudden...-example.jpg  
Old 17th March, 2006, 04:07 PM
AOA Staff

Here is what happend last night when I cracked open the monitor...
I pulled the board off and saw the pins, they looked a little dis-colored but I don't know if they are copper or what.
I re-seated the board 3 times and then plugged it in and turned it on.
After about 15 minutes it finally got blurry. I was thinking it had something to do with when power supply areas get up to temperature something was happening.
Yesterday I found a thread about the "focus" potentiometers on the monitor and to adjust them with a screwdriver.
So I looked for those and started messing with them.
There was a vertical focus and a horizontal focus potentiometer.
That did the trick!
I think they are dirty or somehow turning when the monitor is up to temp.
They turned very easily and I wonder if there is a way make them stay in the crisp setting I put them in.

Thanks alot for you help Everyone. I have had a great lesson in Monitors this week.

As for WonderBread.... did you try swapping computers to see if it that computer or not?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 17th March, 2006, 04:58 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by booman
Yesterday I found a thread about the "focus" potentiometers on the monitor and to adjust them with a screwdriver.
So I looked for those and started messing with them.
There was a vertical focus and a horizontal focus potentiometer.
That did the trick!
I think they are dirty or somehow turning when the monitor is up to temp.
They turned very easily and I wonder if there is a way make them stay in the crisp setting I put them in.
In the 20 years that I've worked on monitors, I don't think I've ever had one behave as you described that had this problem. LOL

Anyway, try turning the pots back and forth three or four times, and then set them where you get a good picture. They may hold for a few days before going out again, or they may hold for a year or more. If the focus goes to crap again in a few days, you'll have to replace those pots. It should be possible to get replacements without TOO much pain, but you'll also have to be handy with a soldering iron.
Old 17th March, 2006, 06:49 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

A dab of gray epoxy from the edge of the pot to the nearest stationary place would work. You need to give it time to harden. Be sure that the potentiometer is set exactly right first. A careful non generous daub of the area with acetone--aka fingernail polish remover--first will clean it and make it easier for the epoxy to stick. You might want to put the monitor in its normal horizontal position to make sure that the settings that you dial in will work in a real world environment before letting the acetone dry and mixing up the epoxy.
Old 17th March, 2006, 06:52 PM
AOA's resident barman

I guess you could even use blue-tack or just sticky tape to hold them in place?

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 17th March, 2006, 06:59 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

It is possible that the voltage regulation isn't working as effectively as it should - the focusing mechanism relies on a steady voltage. Should the PSU output change as the monitor warms up, then it might well produce the effects that you are seeing.
Old 17th March, 2006, 07:01 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

The epoxy and blue-tack ideas are fine so long as the problem is due to physical movement of the pot. Typically, however, the problem is that the contacts themselves corrode over time. Since they are usually just plastic film with carbon tracks printed on them, once the corrosion sets in, they become pretty worthless pretty fast.

Still, I suppose it can't hurt to try.
Old 17th March, 2006, 07:04 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
It is possible that the voltage regulation isn't working as effectively as it should - the focusing mechanism relies on a steady voltage. Should the PSU output change as the monitor warms up, then it might well produce the effects that you are seeing.
It's been my experience that if you are having a problem with the high-voltage regulation (which is where the focus voltage is generated from), then you will also be seeing changes in brightness; in fact you will tend to notice that first. This is also accompanied by changes in picture size (however, what is a normal change in picture size and what is unusual varies from set to set; they all exhibit the behavior to some degree).
Old 17th March, 2006, 07:24 PM
AOA Staff

Well I figured that they may not stay in postition for a long time so I was thinking of doing the epoxy thing or I may just drill two holes in the side of the plasic case so I can easily just adjust them when it gets blurry without taking it apart again. I'm sure the glue will work better but if anything else happens to them I won't have an easy time getting them to come loose again.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10