AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th March, 2006, 04:14 PM
AOA Staff

21" HP monitor goes blurry all of a sudden...

Hey, I bought a used 21" HP monitor about 2 weeks ago.
I have been playing Call Of Duty 2 and using photoshop, etc.
It was working great, crisp clear graphics and great color.
Just last night I noticed the screen was blurry. So I went throught the
menu items on the monitor to correct it, but nothing helped. I turned it off, waited a few seconds and turned it back on, it was crisp again.
Whats with that?
This morning I was using photoshop and after 5 minutes it just goes blurry.
I would do the same thing (turn it off and back on again) and it is fine.
But every time after 5 minutes it goes blurry again.
Does anyone have a clue what is making it do this?
Is it trashed or can I do something to fix it?
thanks
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th March, 2006, 04:27 PM
AOA Staff

First thing I would consider is overheating.

Sometimes all it takes is a shelf on the wall above a monitor to make it overheat.

Gizmo may be able to help you out, he has professional knowledge of monitors...
Old 15th March, 2006, 04:30 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

You'll have to take the bucket off (that's the plastic on the back of the monitor, which covers the CRT and electronics; it is usually held on to the front bezel by four screws, one at each corner).

If you are lucky, all you'll need to do is reseat the board on the neck of the monitor. Be VERY CAREFUL! A CRT is nothing more than a really big tube, and the neck board contains a socket that slides onto the pins at the base of the tube. Over time, the contacts can become corroded and cause all kinds of interesting problems, including what you are seeing. Simply pulling the board off and putting it back on two or three times will knock this corrosion loose and allow proper contact to be made.

If you are unlucky, the tube is shot and you'll need to buy a new monitor. I don't think that is your problem, though, based on the description you've given.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th March, 2006, 07:17 PM
AOA Staff

Wow Gizmo! Thanks for the tips. I will try that and I will take pictures of what I see. Since its a used monitor I don't mind cracking it open and working on it. I'll let you know by tomarrow morning what happened.
Anything else I could look for?
By the way, I bought 3 of these HP 21" monitors HP P1130.
They are probably 5 years old. I had the guy plug them in to make sure they work. One of them would flicker several times (like when the resolution changes for a game) and stop when windows booted up. It also had some horizonal lines about 2 inches apart that were very feint and could only be seen when the screen was black. Is there a specific cause for these symptoms?
thanks again
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 15th March, 2006, 07:20 PM
AOA Staff

Those 2 horizontal lines are meant to be there.

http://www.monitorworld.com/faq_pages/q28_page.html
Old 15th March, 2006, 07:30 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

If this is a CRT monitor, be extra careful to avoid any chance of a shock by needlessly touching the innards. There's enough voltage to kill you.
Old 15th March, 2006, 07:32 PM
AOA Staff

I don't think those are the same lines I am talking about.
My monitor has several lines. they are not perfectly horizontal but are kinda at an angle. Maybe 10 degrees. They don't bother me much because once windows boots you can't see them anymore. I was just wondering if there was something causing that like a cheap cable...
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 15th March, 2006, 07:39 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
If this is a CRT monitor, be extra careful to avoid any chance of a shock by needlessly touching the innards. There's enough voltage to kill you.
Even with it unplugged?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 15th March, 2006, 07:42 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Yup - capacitors can store enough charge for a good few hours after you turn it off, so best be careful

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 15th March, 2006, 07:44 PM
AOA Staff

To be extra safe...
how long should I wait, and how can I test to see how much charge is in the capacitors?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 15th March, 2006, 07:56 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by booman
Wow Gizmo! Thanks for the tips. I will try that and I will take pictures of what I see. Since its a used monitor I don't mind cracking it open and working on it. I'll let you know by tomarrow morning what happened.
Anything else I could look for?
By the way, I bought 3 of these HP 21" monitors HP P1130.
They are probably 5 years old. I had the guy plug them in to make sure they work. One of them would flicker several times (like when the resolution changes for a game) and stop when windows booted up. It also had some horizonal lines about 2 inches apart that were very feint and could only be seen when the screen was black. Is there a specific cause for these symptoms?
thanks again
The faint horizontal lines are your vertical retrace lines and are present on every monitor. They should only be visible if you have the brightness cranked up pretty high, though.

The one that flickers; does it give any picture at all?
Old 15th March, 2006, 07:59 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by booman
To be extra safe...
how long should I wait, and how can I test to see how much charge is in the capacitors?

Unplug the power from the monitor while it is on and that will effectively discharge the capacitors. Also, be careful of the big red anode cap on the side of the tube; there is upwards of 30,000 volts under that cap, so don't go sticking your finger on there. However, it should be up under the dag shield and so you shouldn't be able to get at it without intent.
Old 15th March, 2006, 08:10 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
The one that flickers; does it give any picture at all?
Yeah it works, it just flickers 3-4 times before windows boots up and it is fine after that. I was just wondering if that was a symptom of something that could get worse.
Thanks for the tips.
I will unplug the cord while the monitor is off to discharge the capacitors and I definitely won't touch the big red anode cap.
thanks again.
If you don't hear from me by tomarrow, then you will know what happend.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 15th March, 2006, 08:17 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Also, be careful of the big red anode cap on the side of the tube; there is upwards of 30,000 volts under that cap, so don't go sticking your finger on there.
I've done that one. Wakes you better than any coffee ever will.
Old 15th March, 2006, 08:24 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

LOL.

I've been hit by just about everything from DC to 200 KHz, at 12v up to 50Kv. Multiple times. On the same day. Sometimes within just a few minutes.

Now you know everything you need to about my mental state.

I'll tell you one thing; the old saying "It's not the volts but the amps that'll kill you" isn't far off the mark.

The worst I ever got hit was with 12v, but a wire had pricked my skin. I learned something very important that day:

Blood is an excellent conductor of electricity.

My shoulders hurt for two days from where the current went up my right arm, across my shoulders, and down my left arm to the grounded sheet metal I was touching.
Old 16th March, 2006, 03:52 PM
AOA Staff

Ok, here are the pics of the monitor with the casing off.
Let me know what to look for. I see the heatsinks and some capacitors and the motherboard. There is still another panel I could take off on the back that has some more capacitors and ports.

I don't know which part is the "board" to re-seat on the neck of the tube.
Can you point that out for me and tell me how to re-seat it?

Can you also point out where the Anode Cap is?
I think it is the area where the thick red cable is going to, but I'm not totally sure. I just want to make sure I don't touch it.

And, if you need higher quality pics I can re-attach the "huge" ones.
thanks again for the help

21" HP monitor goes blurry all of a sudden...-monitor1.jpg21" HP monitor goes blurry all of a sudden...-monitor4.jpg
21" HP monitor goes blurry all of a sudden...-monitor3.jpg21" HP monitor goes blurry all of a sudden...-monitor2.jpg
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 16th March, 2006, 04:14 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favu
Yup - capacitors can store enough charge for a good few hours after you turn it off, so best be careful
Few hours?!?! Try a couple of weeks!!! [insert shock emotioncon]

Here is the board.
Attached Thumbnails
21" HP monitor goes blurry all of a sudden...-board.jpg  
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 16th March, 2006, 05:06 PM
AOA Staff

That thing which looks like a rubber sucker, in the last pic, can give you a shock if you take it off and poke around.
Old 16th March, 2006, 07:22 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

It's unusual, but capacitors can retain a charge for years. Friendly, neh?
Old 16th March, 2006, 08:16 PM
AOA Staff

So does anyone have some tips on how to re-seat the board on the neck of the monitor?
I did a search on my problem and on one site a guy had a tutorial on how to adjust the "focus" and "brightness" potentiometers from inside the case.
I'm thinking this won't fix my problem because when I turn the monitor off and back on again it is totally crisp. Its only about 5 minutes later it gets blurry. Maybe something caused when the monitor gets up to temp.
I'm willing to try whatever.... Its trash if I can't fix it.
But its soooo sweet if it works!
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10