AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th March, 2006, 05:30 PM
AOA Staff

Sony PS3 delayed until November

Quote:
The release of the much awaited PlayStation 3 (PS3) games console has been postponed until November, Japanese electronics group Sony has announced.
The rest:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4807858.stm
Old 15th March, 2006, 05:32 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Yeah, there were rumors circulating that this would be the case.

The real question is why? Sony says it's due to foot dragging about the Blu-Ray spec, but others have suggested it may actually be due to yield problems on the cell chip. They didn't even tape out on it until recently, and you've got a minimum 3 months from tape-out to production, assuming everything goes well, from what I understand.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th March, 2006, 06:13 PM
AOA Staff

A bit more on it here:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30321

Seems to be Blu-Ray holding things up.
Old 15th March, 2006, 06:37 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

$425!?!?!?

They can keep it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th March, 2006, 06:41 PM

What about the GPU? I thought part of the delay was due to Nvidia?
I assume this means they have a working design now?
Old 15th March, 2006, 06:45 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seperah
What about the GPU? I thought part of the delay was due to Nvidia?
I assume this means they have a working design now?
I would have thought so, since they say they will have the dev kits ready for June.
Old 16th March, 2006, 07:26 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I wonder if the delivery date will slip into '07? Missing the Christmas buy-fest, tsk tsk.
Old 17th March, 2006, 01:12 AM

Send a message via MSN to WonderBread Send a message via Yahoo to WonderBread

this is alot like the nVidia vs ATI we had last year i really want a PS3!
Old 17th March, 2006, 06:50 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

INteresting it took this long to be "official"..the november date has been hanging around since mid-january.
Old 17th March, 2006, 11:18 AM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

Lets hope when the bad boy comes out it can live up to the hype.

I dont like the look of the control pad much tho.
Old 17th March, 2006, 11:25 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Indeed, but with the bickering going on between the HD-DVD and Blu-ray camps and the content providers, I'm beginning to think I might actually belive Sony on the reason for the delay?

Given there appear to be a good few engineering samples of the Cell processor around (See Toshiba's Cell based workstation, and IBM's Cell based blade server), I suspect that the issue isn't with the Cell processor. Where it actually is I don't know though.

Interestingly, Sony look like they're going to release a version of Linux for the PS3 - presumably in the same way they released a version of Linux for the PS2. Rumour has it that Sony do that, Mental Images will port their Mental Ray rendering product across to the PS3. Could this be the start of render farms based around PS3s?
Old 17th March, 2006, 05:07 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Could this be the start of render farms based around PS3s?
Maybe that's why the units are slated to be $425 each on release? Rather than outright subsidize them, as has traditionally been done, maybe they are just going to sell them at cost, and open them up more?

Dunno, but Sony might actually have a plan here.
Old 17th March, 2006, 05:11 PM

I suspected this.
Why release several brand new PS2 titles just a month before it was supposedly due?
Because they knew they were going to delay it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 17th March, 2006, 05:24 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Not totally true - new titles where still being released for the PS1 for quite some time after the PS2 was out.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 17th March, 2006, 05:29 PM

Yes - the crappy ones like Dancing games etc. I'm talking about big titles.
I'm talking, Black, Fifa 07, Pro Evolution Soccer 6, Splinte Cell Double Agent.

These games Favu aren't due for release until September ish time.
So, why would the developers release their big titles on a platform if it was literally just going to be replaced?
Because they knew it wasn't gonig to be replaced yet. All the same, they didn't want to hold on and wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 17th March, 2006, 05:48 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

I figure they will release them on the PS2 and PS3 at the same time. I think Black has been released. I thought Splinter Cell was XboX only? And the last version of Fifa for the PS1 was Fifa 05. (and which point the PS2 was well established)

Also : Not everyone will buy the new console right away, so there is still a market for games that run on "replaced" consoles. Some of the games you mentioned might have had an unexpectadly long development time, too. But I don't know about that for certain.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 17th March, 2006, 05:52 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghastpumpkin
Yes - the crappy ones like Dancing games etc. I'm talking about big titles.
I dunno, I don't consider over 6.5 million copies as "crappy ones" really...