AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th March, 2006, 07:07 PM

A2 Product Design Project

Some of you may remember a thread of mine back last summer talking about my A2 level project.
After several months, it's finally coming together. Alas, including a media centre PC was just not feasble. In fact, there will now be no electronics at all. But I thought I'd still share it with all of you.
I've got two weeks to finish the lids, attach the feet and varnish all the wood.

Firstly, the lids were made. These lids consist of side panels with pivots to attach to a pivot point on the main unit. The sides have a veneered cover.
These images show the layering of the veneer for the cover.

The glue we used was so strong that it was stuck on my fingers for days afterwards.

However, before we did this, we had to make the mould. The mould consisted of a two peices of wood at a 90 degree angle supported by four slats. The corner was sanded to the required radius. The veneered wood was placed on this and then two blocks of wood were used to clamp it tight to the mould. You can see our method used to attain an even smooth curve in the pictures.

After the first lid surface was made, we made the second using the same mould.

Then we moved onto the sides of the lids. These were made of 6mm plywood veneer. They were cut on a circulur saw and a band saw. The holes for the pivot were drilled using a Forstner drill peice.
Attached Thumbnails
A2 Product Design Project-dsc00078.jpg   A2 Product Design Project-dsc00079.jpg   A2 Product Design Project-dsc00080.jpg   A2 Product Design Project-mvc-001s.jpg   A2 Product Design Project-mvc-003s.jpg  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th March, 2006, 07:11 PM

These images show me making the sides for the ldis. These sides glue to the edges of the lid surfaces. The lid surfaces were deliberately over sized, to be cut down to size later on.
Nothing was assembled until all peices for the whole table had been cut. This is pretty much a standard rule for prototype manufacturing.

The next post shows the veneers for the lid surfaces in the mould. You can also see pictures of the machines used. Included, a circular saw, band saws, laser cutter and a circular sander.
Attached Thumbnails
A2 Product Design Project-dsc00130.jpg   A2 Product Design Project-dsc00133.jpg   A2 Product Design Project-dsc00157.jpg  

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th March, 2006, 07:13 PM

Images showing the veneer surface moulds. The bin liner was used to protect the surfaces of the wood.
Attached Thumbnails
A2 Product Design Project-dsc00081.jpg   A2 Product Design Project-dsc00082.jpg   A2 Product Design Project-dsc00083.jpg  

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]

Old 27th March, 2006, 07:19 PM

Before assembling the lids, I would make the base unit. The base unit consists of a base, and sides with pivot holes for the lids to attach to.
I'm sorry I can't show you images of the design, but my software has mucked up. If anybody has Ptc Pro Desktop, please give me a shout.

Firstly, the wood was cut down to size on a alrge circular saw machine.

Then they were accurately cut using a band saw.
Some close ups show how I had to modify my design to hide gaps.
You can also see how I used tacks to attach two bits together at once, so I could cut both at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
A2 Product Design Project-dsc00193.jpg   A2 Product Design Project-dsc00194.jpg   A2 Product Design Project-dsc00195.jpg   A2 Product Design Project-dsc00196.jpg   A2 Product Design Project-dsc00197.jpg  

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]

Old 27th March, 2006, 07:23 PM

The other pictures. Yes, that is ME cutting.
You can see how hard I was concentrating. I look like a div, LOL.
I had to cut free hand without a guide, which is really hard.

More pictures soon! I'm much further than this - just need to grab the pictures.

A little more explanation. In the first picture in post two, you see that the peices of paper which are a mock up of the lids have a sort of semi circle. Through this circle there is a chrome plated metal tube, which acts a pivot. You can see the same cirular shap on the sides of the table, below. These have screw holes. In the ends of the tubes are plastic bushs with a screw thread in them. So a screw goes throguh the screw hole on the side panels, into the bush in the tube. And of course, the lids attach to the tube. There are two lids, and whilst they are sat down it looks like a square box table. However, the pivot lets one lid at a time lift up and over and the top of the lid can rest flat on the top of the other lid, giving access to the space inside.
The first picture of post two shows how the ldis are normally, if you imagine you are looking at it from a side view. In a picture in this post, you can see we have rotated one of the lids on the metal "pivot" point, so it is folded up and over, and rests on top of the other..
Attached Thumbnails
A2 Product Design Project-dsc00198.jpg   A2 Product Design Project-dsc00199.jpg   A2 Product Design Project-dsc00202.jpg   A2 Product Design Project-dsc00201.jpg   A2 Product Design Project-dsc00131.jpg  

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]

Last edited by aghastpumpkin; 27th March, 2006 at 07:47 PM.
Old 27th March, 2006, 07:28 PM
AOA Staff

Looks like a nice job! You haven't said what it is??
Old 27th March, 2006, 07:29 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

That is looking really impressive!

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 27th March, 2006, 07:32 PM

A coffee table! Thanks guys!

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]

Old 27th March, 2006, 07:51 PM

I have some pictures of the table mocked up as complete. I'll upload them tomorrow.

I tell you one thing, this project looks much harder than it looks. *Yeah, you just glue the wood together. Yeah, you just cut it out. Yeah, you just drill a few holes.
Actually, no....woodwork is a very good skill if you can do it well. You can't just use ya dremel and a bit of glasspaper.

Some hashed up crude images showing the design. I'll have some proper cad work up for you tomorrow. The table is 700 cm long by 500 cm wide.

*Deliberately NOT edited!
Attached Thumbnails
A2 Product Design Project-crude.jpg   A2 Product Design Project-crude2.jpg   A2 Product Design Project-crude-end.jpg  

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]

Last edited by aghastpumpkin; 27th March, 2006 at 08:10 PM.
Old 27th March, 2006, 08:03 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghastpumpkin
I tell you one thing, this project looks much harder than it looks.
Sigged!

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 27th March, 2006, 08:11 PM
AOA Staff

Lmao

EDIT: I am get well annoyed with the forum changing the capitalisation in my post. :O
Old 27th March, 2006, 08:14 PM

Concentrate on the subject of this Topic!

Otherwise I'll get embarrassed....

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]

Old 27th March, 2006, 08:16 PM
AOA Staff

OK, what about handles? How do you open it?
Old 27th March, 2006, 08:21 PM

There will be metal handles on the ends. Here are some screenshots showing the design in 2d. As you can see, the sides of the lids simply attach to the inside of the sides of the base unit with a metal pivot.
Attached Thumbnails
A2 Product Design Project-lids1.jpg   A2 Product Design Project-sidesandbase.jpg  

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]

Old 27th March, 2006, 08:22 PM

Damnit, Old designs. the sides of the base are actually slightly different form that now, and the base and sides do not finger joint, but we biscuit jointed them instead.
I found a demo of the software so I could show you guys. My 3D cad cam isn't working. If anyone has Ptc Pro Desktop version 8, please give me a buzz.

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]

Old 28th March, 2006, 04:23 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Tell the guy at the New Yankee Workshop about the biscuits. he can't get enough of them. Seriously, you're doing a fine job. How did you hide the Media Center gear in the table?
Old 28th March, 2006, 04:28 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Front Page, AP! www.aoaforums.com
Old 28th March, 2006, 04:30 PM
AOA's resident barman

@ Cloasters - I think AP scrapped the idea of a media center in there :
Quote:
Originally Posted by aghastpumpkin
In fact, there will now be no electronics at all. But I thought I'd still share it with all of you.

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 28th March, 2006, 08:04 PM

It would have been too expensive and taken too long. Sorry.

I'm am absolutely overjoyed to be frontpage. Thank you so very much.
I did a boob and forgot to bring my USB stick to college, so again no picture until tomorrow! I have some very tempting shots of the table nearing completion after a 4 hour stint after colelge today. Yes, I really did only just get back!

Thank you again Gizmo and AOA. It's an absolute joy to see it there.

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]

Old 28th March, 2006, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters
Tell the guy at the New Yankee Workshop about the biscuits. he can't get enough of them. Seriously, you're doing a fine job. How did you hide the Media Center gear in the table?
See if he reckons he can biscuit joint 6mm ply to a peice of 12mm ply.
Damned near impossible, but we did it. The biscuit jointing machine is so much fun to use. It simply is a rotating blade that cuts out the crevasse for the biscuits to sit in. It makes a hell of a racket so it makes you feel really manly to use one.

Again, I actually smiled broadly when I saw it on frontpage. Makes me feel so good. I would show friends at school, if the servers Websense didn't have AOa AND proxies blocked. Damnit!!!!

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]