AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd April, 2006, 08:44 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Corsair Value 1GB stick?

I'm a bit leery of the Socket 754 problem with RAM. For running at stock, is one 1Gb stick of Corsair Value a safe bet? I'm just asking, thank you.
Old 23rd April, 2006, 09:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to bonesaw

i've got 2gb xms corsair that do the job
g. skill 6400 5-5-5-15-2t 4 gigs
Evga 450 gts
Thermaltake Armor
Ocz700w
300gb Seagate ide + Seagate 750gb sata
Logitech thx 5300 5.1
Acer 19' wide al1916w
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th April, 2006, 01:32 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

corsair value ram can be ANY IC that is known to man. depends on when the store got the stock. Same with all value ram tho...no matter the brand. Corsair IS, asfter all, just a re-labeller.
Old 24th April, 2006, 01:55 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
Corsair IS, asfter all, just a re-labeller.
That is only true of the Value Select line of memory. Thier XMS line is assembled by them and tested by them. So don't pay for the Corsair name unless it is the XMS line.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th April, 2006, 11:02 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to membreya Send a message via MSN to membreya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staz
That is only true of the Value Select line of memory. Thier XMS line is assembled by them and tested by them. So don't pay for the Corsair name unless it is the XMS line.
And wouldn't that be true of this thread? since the topic is about Corsair Value RAM
Old 24th April, 2006, 02:15 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Quote:
Originally Posted by membreya
And wouldn't that be true of this thread? since the topic is about Corsair Value RAM
That would be true of this thread, but not of the post that I replied to. Dave made the statement that Corsair is just a relabler. I just didn't want anyone to get confused and assume that all Corsair RAM is simply relabled.

After all more people than just Cloasters and Canada Dave will read this.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 24th April, 2006, 02:33 PM

Well, the IC's are relabelled...simply put on thier own pcb for the XMS line.

Actually Staz, i said that this was the case of all value ram. the high-end stuff each relabeller does something to, to "make it thier own". There are only about 5 ram IC makers, and only few pcb makers.

Corsair goes one step further than most, although we have seen a few new ideas for PCB design in the last little while...the most interesting has a floppy power connector.
Old 24th April, 2006, 07:15 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thank you all very much for your wisdom! I'm building (and buying most of the components) for a friend with a 1 Ghz Duron box. I kyan't stand the Stone Age state that his present box is in, so were moving him into the more recent Socket 754 past. Wouldn't you know it, I'm glad that I asked him if he'd ordered RAM before I bought a $110 1 Gb stick for him. He'd already ordered a 1 Gig $78 stick of Corsair bargain basement goodness. I hope it works on the Asrock K8NF4G m'board that I'll order!
Old 24th April, 2006, 07:45 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Maybe I am lucky, but I have 4gb of corsair value select, and 3gb of Kingston HyperX. All are PC3200, dual channel.

The HyperX can do 2.0-3-2-5, @ 200mhz, and OC varies from 220mhz to 245mhz @ cas2.5.

The value select can only do 2.5-3-3-6 @200mhz, and OC varies from 210 to 237mhz. BTW, the best is dual channel 1ghz pair. (I'm pleased on a "bang for the buck").

For normal usage, I running up to 2.75v.
Old 24th April, 2006, 10:54 PM

Your HyperX, Steve, is ch-5, capable of 2-2-2-5 @ abt 240mhz(some will do 265), 3.3-3.6v. Either voltage is safe for 24/7 use with a fan blowing over the DIMMs. it might also be untested(by PSC) bh- or ch-...the easiest way ot tell is the date of manufacture, and the pcb it's mounted on.

The 2.5-3-3-6 stuff is most likely infineon based, or micron, which might do better @ 3-4-4-8, but then again, it might not. either way, 2.9v should be the max.
Old 24th April, 2006, 11:43 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I wish RAM wasn't divided between "this works on AMD mainboards," and "this works on Intel m'boards." Kingston was out of stock when I needed 2 x 512 Mb DIMMS for an Intel LGA-775 mobo. After APITA worth of research, I ordered the then unknown by me brand of Buffalo DIMMS that featured the same chips that Kingston used. Worked poifectly at stock at any rate. Went to Buffalo's site yesterday. Interestingly they advertise that their RAM is built for Intel chipsets. Glad that they're up front about this!