AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd May, 2006, 10:23 PM

Looking for DVD burner recommendations!

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for informed assistance in choosing a dual layer DVD burner. My current drive is an NEC ND-1100A, which does a great job on single layer, but I now need DL as well (ASAP).

CD performance isn't important, but reliable DVD burning is, as well as superior ability to read injured DVD media. Read/write speed is relatively non-critical (though nice ). OEM is fine -- I have my own hardware and software.

I've been poking around and am considering the following three drives (naturally, price is a factor ):

LG GSA-4167B
BenQ DW-1650B
NEC ND-3550A

Anybody have any experience with these drives (or perhaps another) that would help?

Thanks much -- Trevor
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 3rd May, 2006 at 10:29 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd May, 2006, 10:26 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Take the NEC. It's done me well.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd May, 2006, 10:49 PM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

I agree with pitch, I have the NEC DVD RW ND 3540A and it has lasted well, outlived 2 DVD_ROM drives.
Old 4th May, 2006, 12:06 AM

Plextor....need I say more?
Old 4th May, 2006, 01:04 AM
Steve Jobs

Not LG. Damned things rattle more than a cheap bubblejet printer. I buy Pioneer, and love them, but I see they arn't on your list.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 4th May, 2006, 01:07 AM

Wow: Caught a slight case of retard apparently?

Just saw the fact that there's a list of three choices, didnt see that

NEC then.
Old 4th May, 2006, 04:33 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Plextor?... overpriced, sometimes rebadged.
LG... fastest at burns, but noise and rattle could be an issue.
NEC, technically the slowest, but very reliable with high quality burns.
Benq, excellent burns with good media and good speed on burns.

Pioneer. I've heard good things, but haven't owned one. Seriously considering tho.... only draw back is lack of read quality test capabilities.

Much of what I know is from reading. I've personally owned various models over the years, liteon, sony, plextor, NEC & Benq. I'm considering buying another burner and I am leaning toward Pioneer or another Benq ATM.
Old 4th May, 2006, 10:53 AM

It's interesting to see people saying the LG ones are noisy. I've got the 4160 and it's nice and quiet. Not had a single problem with it either. Main reason I went for it at the time was admittedly price, though after doing a bit of research before buying people seemed to say good things about it. Some of my friends swear by Pioneer though so... Never easy!
NVidia 6800GT
Yesico FL-420(T) Fanless 420W PSU
2 x Maxtor DiamondMax 10 80GB SATA RAID0
Silverstone Temjin TJ05S-T Case
Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+ 19" LCD

AOA Team fah
Old 4th May, 2006, 06:05 PM

Wow,

Lot's of responses -- Thanks!

Sorry! The list wasn't really intended to limit, just to show where I was at. Wasn't too sure about Pioneer, though I guess the DVR-111D could be a possibility.

I'm inclined against the Plextor simply because of the size of the investment -- no doubt good drives, but they cost 2-3 times as much. Hence my comment concerning price .

My impression is most people select and praise a burner primarily on speed -- ability to read tricky discs gets little attention, even in reviews. With the advent of the scanning revolution (just learned about it yesterday), there's lots of concern over burn quality as measured by PI and PO errors -- even so far as measuring burn performance at speeds well beyond the media ratings (don't quite get the point of that).

The LG GSA-4167B interests me because it appears strong at reading damaged DVD media: http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Revi...14976&PageId=3
And it's reputed to be reasonably quiet, media tolerant, and pretty quick - no, not the fastest. (From my own experience, I'm under the impression drive noise is more a function of spin speed than anything else -- but people keep pointing to the drive, not the speed -- )

The NEC ND-3550A is a natural choice because NEC has traditionally been highly reliable (like Sony once was) -- I own NEC now based on a previous "best" drive search (cost factor included) and I'm satisfied. (Still own a 1992 NEC 3FGx monitor that works perfectly -- superb image quality). The 3550A seems very quick, though more limited as to compatible media - likes Verbatim. I've no information regarding read error performance.

The BenQ DW-1650B is more of a nod to an apparent perception of it being a step up on the quality scale -- the only review I read (1640B) pointed to a top speed ranking plus good media compatibility. I've read evaluations where people go to the BenQ after NEC 3550 and LG 4167 and never looked back -- not sure why. Don't know -- nothing much to go on yet.

My impression of Pioneer is that it doesn't attract too much attention -- which could be a good sign. Things that don't squeek don't tend to attract attention . Guess I could spend more time researching it ...

Still, that's pretty much where I'm at -- except that the ND-3550A seems to be showing more early failures than I would expect given NEC's reputation. Could just be an unavoidable statistic based on the purchase volume, or could be price competition is finally impacting product reliability.

Choosing between models of anything is getting tough, guess that's the commodity maketplace for you .

Thanks -- Trevor
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 4th May, 2006 at 06:22 PM.
Old 4th May, 2006, 08:03 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Cost has been a major component in recent revisions. Aside from DVDRAM and lightscribe, most newer models did little to add features, but where instead cost reductions in design and fabrication of the drives themselves. Bottom line is, in the last 2 years, most of the R&D for DVDRW was in cost reduction... resulting in the low prices we enjoy today. I suspect as a result, higher RMAs and cost increases at the back end.

Personally, I use only high quality media, and occassionally scan to ensure reliable burns... My Benq 1640 has been a workhorse for me. Not being able to scan has kept me from trying the pioneer, but I may change my mind.

EDIT: Benq announced major losses in EOY2005... there may be a shake up for them.
Old 5th May, 2006, 01:40 AM

Just spent some time at CD Freaks Forum and read things regarding the latest LG, BenQ, and Pioneer that made me nervous. Finally took the chicken way out and opted for NEC -- plus an external case for a little more flexibility.

So, thanks much all -- looks like I can now stumble forward towards whatever my next crisis will be !

-- Trevor

PS -- Cool !!! I just graduated to GIECO (Oops, I mean Gecko) !!!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 6th May, 2006, 01:04 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Wonder if the drive will be an NEC, or a counterfeit NEC? Some folks in China created an ersatz NEC corporation. Almost unbelievable, Google it if you're interested.
Old 6th May, 2006, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters
Wonder if the drive will be an NEC, or a counterfeit NEC? Some folks in China created an ersatz NEC corporation. Almost unbelievable, Google it if you're interested.
If I were ordering an NEC MP3 player, I think we would know the answer to that one . Ran into an article about that a couple days ago -- pretty amazing. Though at that time, the location/identity of the "counterfeitors" hadn't been determined.

Seems NEC learned of the problem by being contacted by customers regarding products they didn't manufacture.

My supplier is Newegg so hopefully their source is sufficiently well established that the risk factor is negligable. It appears to have shipped around noon Friday, so I'll see what shows up on Wednesday. Noticed Newegg is no longer offering discount Fedex Saver shipping -- switched to UPS 3 Day -- says something about our competitive marketplace and the increasing cost of shipping (gasoline plus whatever).

As you say, I'll have to check the latest on that trademark piracy -- guess it's not just a question of Levi's jeans anymore, huh!

Here it is: http://www.iht.com/bin/print_ipub.ph...siness/nec.php

-- Trevor

PS -- At least it doesn't mention US sales, so perhaps I'm safe .
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 6th May, 2006 at 06:15 AM.