AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th May, 2006, 08:41 PM

Send a message via ICQ to trodas Send a message via AIM to trodas Send a message via MSN to trodas

Question Scientific Atlanta MAC + S/M

I looking for a guy with Scientific-Atlanta WebSTAR DPX 110 modem.

All I need is to PM me (better for privacy) the MAC address of the modem as well, as the S/N of the modem (they are found on the bottom sticky)

Now you probably asking why And probably worry too, heh. Well, not to worry. Knowing this won't help me hack your computer, as these information is only useful on your local ISP HFC network, and I can't get there by other way that using the same ISP - remember, I live in Czech republic, so... You are safe. So the worry part we get covered

Now the WHY. The why part is more entertaining. I aiming to simply make fun out of my ISP technicians (we know each others well, so, they will take it ) by showing them that I could make them believe that my Motorola is not Motorola anymore, it is a Atlanta and later Thompson :lol:
(friend got Thompson modem, so I copy his information... )
I simply want to shock them, how many "modems" I can own and swap them so quickly, hehe And yes, I know that the same MAC address can't be on the same site segment, but my friend is on other segment, so - no connection loss will happen even for him

Pure fun project - and yep, this (MAC address and S/N) IS possible to change within firmware. I never tried it yet, but it looks like I can manage it - I can report success or failure later, if anyone interested

PS. the MAC and S/N numbers aren't "any number you can think off" - there are valid Motorola prefixes for MAC:
00:0E:5C
00:0B:06
00:08:0E
00:20:40
00:01:AF
00:04:BD
00:0C:E5
00:0A:28
00:E0:0C

This well correspond with the SB 4200 of mine:

Motorola SB4200
---------------
S/N: xxx003232504731102010000
MAC: 00:0B:06:50:xx:xx

while my SB5100 has new one, yet the S/N following the rules:

Motorola SB5100
---------------
S/N: xxx103418406555502010000
MAC: 00:11:1A:E4:xx:xx

...so, a little help out there?
Old 11th May, 2006, 10:33 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

err.....dodgy much?

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th May, 2006, 11:11 AM

Send a message via ICQ to trodas Send a message via AIM to trodas Send a message via MSN to trodas

Nop, just aiming to have some fun with modding firmware on my modem Anything against fun?

And we are talking here about a cable modem, of course. Never heard of it? Relatively wide-spread brand in USA and around the globe. My ISP use only 10 Motorola modems (mine is 11-th one) yet about 1000+ Atlanta ones - they go with the name WebSTAR DPX 110 or 120...

http://www.slibe.com/images/5630ac07...R_DPX110_j.jpg

There you have it
pdf guide there: http://support.medialine.cz/pdf/ws_dpx110.pdf
Old 12th May, 2006, 11:23 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

I have a SA Webstar but is a different version so sorry
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th May, 2006, 09:31 AM

Talking

Well, what one?
You know, after all it is still Atlanta and I have to check out how their MAC address ranges are and what their S/N looks

BTW, not long ago Cisco acquired them
Old 16th May, 2006, 03:08 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

So, why not use the IEEE OUI assignments instead, given that they control the OUI assignments? Scientific-Atlanta is defined as 00-01-A6 and 00-16-92.

Motorola BCS is defined as 00-04-BD, 00-0B-06, 00-0C-E5, 00-0E-5C, 00-0F-9F, 00-11-1A, 00-11-80, 00-11-AE, 00-12-25 and 00-12-C9.

However, I fail to see how "making fun out of ISP technicians" has anything to do with this? Changing MAC addresses is hardly anything new, given the ability to do so has been around for the last 26 or so years.
Old 17th May, 2006, 03:49 PM

Talking

Quote:
So, why not use the IEEE OUI assignments instead, given that they control the OUI assignments?
Not sure what are you talking about?

Quote:
Scientific-Atlanta is defined as 00-01-A6 and 00-16-92.
Yep, but still few examples of the MAC and S/N won't hurt, tough

And some fun - well, never hurts? It's about testing my theory and making fun of them as well

And you did change MAC addy of a cable modem, if the ability is there for 26 years? I did not. For many reasons (ISP's tend to identify the modems by their MAC address and maybe even S/N numbers) the MAC of cable modem is considered as UNCHANGABLE

That is why I want to try it

You know - always trying new things (sometimes it end up badly, tough)
Old 18th May, 2006, 11:47 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

The first three octets of the MAC address are assigned by the IEEE. The IEEE maintains a list of Organisationally Unique Identifiers (OUI), which is the three octets you have been interested in.

It works exactly the same way as ethernet, because a cable modem network is very similar to ethernet in some ways.
Old 22nd May, 2006, 01:48 PM

Red face

Ah, uh, errr, okay, so, THIS is it:
http://www.coffer.com/mac_find/?string=atlanta

Scientific-Atlanta MAC prefixes therefore are these:

00:01:A6
00:0A:73
00:0F:21
00:11:E6
00:14:F8
00:16:92
00:40:7B
00:50:B0
00:D0:36

And even this could be seen as a lot of infos, it is not nearly enought for me yet. Now I need the S/N lenght, some example(s) of it won't hurt as well (to check if there is only digits or letters too) and mainly a example from DXP 110/120 owner, as these modems S/N seems to begin with "SM0..." and the DPX 2203 ones goes with "208225..." - witch is still far too little infos, tough :o